Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any MTB Bike Hire near Wigan / Preston / Lancaster / South Lakes area?
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

My bike has broke on a ride today to Stoodley Pike. The freehub has broke so not something anyone can fix anytime soon.
    I booked a holiday in the Duddon Valley in the Lake District and unfortunately it is this weekend was wondering if I could hire a bike for it.
    Does anyone know the best place to hire a decent full suspension bike for the weekend? I live in Hindley (near Wigan) and wondering if there are any bike hire shops nearby or on the way to the Duddon Valley that I could just call in at on the way to pick it up and call in on the way back to drop it off?

I’ve been told Grizedale but it’s really out of the way of where I’m driving and I don’t want to be driving hours more than I need to, I’d probably rather put up with my other bike (knackered hard tail) than do that.

chakaping
    Free Member

What rear wheel configuration is it?

Wheel size, hub width and is it a shimano or XD freehub?

martinhutch

Leisure Lakes do 3 day demos out of Lancaster, I believe.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Wheelbase do hire bike, but it’s only a basic 29er hardtail http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cyclehire.html

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Leisure Lakes do 3 day demos out of Lancaster, I believe.

Yes they do
    https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/content/lancaster-hire-bikes-and-demo-bikes.aspx
    might be a better option for you

grannyjone
    Free Member

Wheelbase do hire bike, but it’s only a basic 29er hardtail http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cyclehire.html

Yes I noticed that, the only full suss option was a £100 per day electric!

Leisure Lakes do 3 day demos out of Lancaster, I believe

I’ll give them a try. I tried the one in Bury on my way back from Rochdale and got no success at all. Only had touring bikes for hire.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Wheel size, hub width and is it a shimano or XD freehub?

Wheel size is 29 and the part according to Leisure Lakes is M = S132100009 (Freehub + Axle Assembly)

grannyjone
    Free Member

According to the specs:

Rear Hub:

Specialized Hi Lo disc, sealed cartridge bearings, 15mm thru-axle, 24h

It’s the one that comes with the Specialized Camber Evo

martinhutch

Should be less hassle to just stick a new freehub on though.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I need to ride tomorrow. I’ve booked a holiday in the Lake District Friday-Saturday. The parts I need are not going to arrive anytime soon.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was asking as I have a few rear wheels and I’m not far from you, but I don’t think I’d have anything suitable to lend, unfortunately.

grannyjone
    Free Member

There has got to be a better solution to this problem than bringing my knackered hard tail

slackboy

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy a whole new back wheel than hire a FS for the weekend?

If you call wheelbase in staveley they’ve probably got one in stock and you could pick it up on the way through.

you could also try Evans in Preston or Merlin in Chorley Both not too far off the motorway

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy a whole new back wheel than hire a FS for the weekend

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
    Also try Winstanley’s at Wigan

chakaping
    Free Member

Winstanleys are well priced for Hope wheels, and super-helpful guys – if you do decide to go down that road.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I made a mistake when I quoted the wheel specs before! I quoted them for the front wheel instead of the rear for some reason.

The specs are:

Specialized Hi Lo disc, 4 sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 28h

grannyjone
    Free Member

Yes I’ll consider buying a new wheel how hard would it be to find one that’s compatible ?

martinhutch

Might be worth not insisting on 28h though – likely to be more choice in 32h and you could potentially get a burlier rear wheel which is more suited to the Lakes.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Might be worth not insisting on 28h though

What does the H number actually mean?

I’ve never had to buy a new wheel before – Is it any 29 inch wheel with the 12mm thru axle should be compatible ?
    What about compatibility with the cassette or are they usually a standard ?

martinhutch

It means you have 28 spokes vs 32. In very general terms, the more spokes, the more potentially stronger the wheel is. Whether that’s necessary for your kind of riding I don’t know, depends on lots of factors, such as your weight and riding style.

But I’d favour 32h over 28h for Lakes riding.

Then again, I notice your front wheel has 24 holes. Perhaps they are just very strong rims!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Merlin have cheap 29er wheels, and they are on the way at Chorley.

slackboy

I’ve never had to buy a new wheel before – Is it any 29 inch wheel with the 12mm thru axle should be compatible ?

Not necessarily, the hub width is also important – I think yours is 142 wide

What about compatibility with the cassette or are they usually a standard ?

There are two different free hub types – shimano and XD. you can tell which is which by taking off the cassette and comparing to the pictures. Just because you have SRAM gears doesn’t mean you have and XD freehub.

Shimano:

SRAM XD

Junkyard
    Free Member

options
    1. Borrow a wheel from a local – i dont have what you need though so cannot lend it
    2. Freehub from Merlin
    3. Wheel from merlin

jonk
    Free Member

If you want to borrow a wheel i’m in tyldesley mail in profile

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Grizedale mountain bikes mate. £50 a day for a full suss bike and it’ll take you about 40 mins out of your way maximum. Is it just bearings that you need replacing in your wheel? If so bring it in in and I’ll fix it while you wait

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any MTB Bike Hire near Wigan / Preston / Lancaster / South Lakes area?’ is closed to new replies.