Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone know about wifi TV stuff?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

My new TV is supposed to be able to connect to the wireless router if I stick a USB wifi thingy in it. So I've bought this Belkin wireless USB adaptor, stuck it in, and the TV tells me it's connection settings might be wrong. Where do I go from here? My computer is an iMac so I don't think the USB thing will do much if I try and install it on that to change things.

Spongebob
    Free Member

First off, get an ethernet cable and connect the tv directly to one of your wifi router's ethernet ports (if it has any). If you get a service, try setting up the wifi link using the USB adapter you bought.

I wouldn't expect a steady uninterupted performance over wifi, much better to use a hard wired configuration.

Your iMac has nothing to do with getting the TV attached to the internet, but you may want to stream to the TV. You will have to read the TV instructions to see if it will recognise streaming feeds from Mac's or PC's.

Have fun!

bri-72

Ditto the hardwire option. I've hooked up With cable to wifi router and now can watch lovefilm online. Iplayer much better than over wifi too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think I've bought the wrong sort of USB thing.

It's too far for a lead through the house. Not without looking a mess anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Get a pair of those mains plug ethernet extenders.

You get two mains plugs with ethernet connectors and data is sent over your ring main.

I think you can get these for around £45. perhaps less.

I'm curently cabling out my house with CAT5e. A proper inconvenience now, but very convenient later down the line.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I'll have a look at that then, ta.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about wifi TV stuff?’ is closed to new replies.