Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone know about swaging machines?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

‘cos I’ve bought this thing:

It was sold as a swaging machine, made by the Standard Engineering Co of Leicester, but looking into them they seem to ahve made shoe repair machinery. So is this really a swaging machine?

This could probably go into the extravagant purchases thread anyhow – I don’t really need a swaging machine if this is one, I bought it because it’s pretty – but it was only £75 so not really that extravagant 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Damn fine paperweight.

wwaswas

normally you’d have several dies to give different dimensions to the swages.

run a cut up coke can through and see what happens 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Thanks – I was puzzled by the wedge-type thing on the back (or is that the front) – thought it might be some kind of leather working device.

househusband

That’d make a dandy steampunk ornament.

takisawa2

Isn’t it for joining the seam on two sheets of steel, ally, brass, copper etc.

jota180
    Free Member

Laugh? I nearly shat! I haven’t laughed so much since Grandma died, or Auntie Mabel caught her left … in the mangle………!!!

bencooper
    Free Member

Turns out it’s a leather skiving machine. I’m sure you were all on tenterhooks waiting to find that out…

joat

I bet there’s at least 75 quid’s worth of scrap there. 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

How could you? It’s gorgeous 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is a skiving machine then?

shandcycles
    Free Member

I wondered when I saw it on flickr. First thought was that doesn’t look like a swaging machine!!

Northwind

Starter motor for a rover v8.

joat

Only teasing, I’ll admit it does have some old school manufacturing aesthetic charm about it.

bencooper
    Free Member

I wondered when I saw it on flickr. First thought was that doesn’t look like a swaging machine!!

Yeah, I was unsure as well – it does vaguely look like a roller-type swaging machine, and the bloke I got it from got it from his dad, and he was convinced his dad never did any leatherworking.

But I, tried shoving some bits of steel through it and it put a nice curve on them, so it might come in handy anyway…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about swaging machines?’ is closed to new replies.