Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone know about strained Achillies tendons?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

I have been out running a couple of times recently just to try some different exercise. I have very ‘cycling specific’ leg muscles, and the running has been giving me sore legs, even with brand new running shoes.

during a 30 to 40 min run/jog last wednesday my right achillies tendon got very tight so I slowed down and walked the rest of the way home. The area around the tendon has swollen up to about double size and it sore and tender.

I know the achillies can be troublesome if it gets damaged, so anyone know from experience if this sort of thing is just a strain that will sort itself out or should I get it looked at?

finbar
    Free Member

If you’re entirely used to cycling there’s every chance your achilles tendons are too short. Running will stretch them out so a bit of pain is to be expected – wait for the swelling to go down (ice and elevation) and try running for another 30 min in a week or so. They might hurt again a bit, but they should be getting longer and better each time. Really stretch the buggers too.

(disclaimer: that might be the cause/solution, it might not…)

AndyPaice
    Free Member

cheers

I am finding the muscle soreness in places where I don’t get sore from cycling so I guess it’s just going to take some time to build new muscle up.

Know any good stretches for the achillies?

Anna-B
    Free Member

I pulled my achilles a couple of years ago. I went to the doctor and for physio, which I can highly recommend. I had ultrasound on it which worked very well. Exercise wise, the physio gave me big rubber band things, which I had to hook over my toes and then stretch my foot forward against the tension. The one that I still do nearly every day is to stand with toes on the edge of a step, and drop heel down. Then up on tip toes, then down etc Good luck.

carlphillips
    Free Member

firstly just go and get yourself assessed, if you have a tight triceps surae complex then proper stretches done properly will help and maybe a heel raise inserted into your shoe to take the pressure off the tendon whilst you continue to walk around for a few weeks may help you heal quicker, but without seeing it etc etc its all codswallop go see someone.
    oh and brufen and paracetomol for the pain/swelling if you are able to take them.

dont run until you are fully healed

duckers
    Free Member

Have a look on runnerworld for some good achiles stretches, do them 3 times a day at least, and dont run. Cycling can irritate your achiles as well so be careful. I suffer from achiles tendonitis when overdoing it so feel your pain.

Best advice about running shoes is go to a proper running shop, they usually have assessment machines where you run and they analyse your gait, diagnose any potential issues and recommend you a shoe type, which most likely WONT be the most expensive in the shop but WILL save you more trouble in future.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

Strangelove
    Free Member

I’ve got the same problem. Basically my calf muscles are short and tight. I went to a physio who recommended gentle stretches, temporary heel lifts, ice, elevation and rest.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about strained Achillies tendons?’ is closed to new replies.