Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone know about renting property in Scotland?
  • gooner666
    Free Member

we are moving up to Scotland next month (Aberdeen) and are looking for a house to rent.
    Looking on Rightmove etc the monthly rents are stated for each property eg. £1,500 per month.

However, when we look at the individual property details on the letting agents site they will around £1,500 per month.

Whats does this mean? Are they fishing for offers and waiting to see how much they can get? Are they putting a low figure on in the hope of starting a bidding war?

If we offer the “around” figure will ir be accepted?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

tomd
    Free Member

Not seen that before tbh. The rental market in Aberdeen moves quickly, so anything that is listed on Rightmove for more than a few days is likely to have something wrong with it. Best to set an alert for stuff that is newly listed and see it ASAP and agree the rental if suitable.

gonefishin
    Free Member

In my experience yes offering the advertised figure will get you the property. What I would say though is where will you be working? There are plenty of people on here (like me) who live in aberdeen and could help with choosing a good location that won’t give you a nightmare commute.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Letting agents in aberdeen are beyond useless Dont know anyone with a good experiance with letting agents – there are a few reputable solicitors who do a not bad job of rental management judging by friends experiances.

My last 3 rentals were found on gumtree signed contracts at a solicitors and self managed by the landlords

As above where are you working ?

Aberdeen grinds to a hault at peak times and dont even think about trying to cross town in a car

Bikes work well though if you can hold your own on the road.

gooner666
    Free Member

thanks

I will be working in Westhill so we want to live west of the city – Elrick, Alford, Drumhill, Banchory, Kintore etc

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thatll work

Do you plan to ride or drive?

Ps if you aint seen aspc yet then thats where you wanna look rightmove just has the rip off merchants advertising on it

gooner666
    Free Member

unfortunately I have to drive as my job involves driving

what is aspc?

gooner666
    Free Member

aspc – just found it

Google is your friend!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aberdeenshire solicitors property Centre

First place to look for property rental or purchase in aberdeenshire

gonefishin
    Free Member

Banchory would be my choice of those places, but likely the most expensive!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I lived in banchory for a while . Not as bad as you think price wise for rentals but i agree on that list it would be the least for your money- shops there are expensive though tesco there definantly caters for the afluent . Alot of organics and finest range – very little market value to be had.

I moved from banchory to peterculter/drumoak.

Kintore depresses me seems to look like a retirement vilage when ever ive been there.

Alford i like but i associate alford with going skiing 🙂

Lots of small villages in between as well but just be careful not to end up on a rat run as ive seen folk driving through kirkton of skene and durris at speeds unsuitable for an a road never mind a built up area.

Importantly , good cycling near most places mentioned except kintore – its a bit of no mans land for mtb or road.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Try Nestoria as well as ASPC. That will cover all the bases.

I live in Banchory and work in Westhill. You can’t beat it. I LOVE it here! Commute is only 20 minutes on open roads or 40 minutes on a bike (that’s my PB).

Rental market isn’t so hot here. So offer LOW. I rented my house out until August this year and it took ages to find a tenant and ended up dropping the price from £1800 to £1300. I’m not alone – a friend in Banchory is going through the same hassle right now.

And biking from Banchory is actually very very good. Scolty hill is on your doorstep and has everything from XC to manmade downhill. The kids go crazy with their spades on weekends.

Let me know if you want to know more info.

rugbydick

From your list there I’d live in Westhill (Elrick) or Banchory.
    I’m in Banchory right now but just moving into the city (2 bed flat with a garage and small garden coming onto the market for rent…)

I just moved from Westhill (the former Mrs RD is still there) and it’s a pleasant place to live. The Broadstraik pub is very good. But the houses are all the same, looks like Legoland…

Biking from Banchory is brilliant. Clachnaben, Kerloch for some more natural stuff and Scolty is right there.

@fanatic278
    it’s not just the kids who go spade crazy…

travellingman
    Free Member

rugbydick – what monthly rental did you have in mind for your flat? I’ve been offered a job in Aberdeen/shire and had a look at Banchory last week.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Plenty of biking near Kintore. Maybe not ride from your doorstep but you are only 15 – 20 minutes in the car away from Pitfichie or Bennachie Donview carpark and only 5 – 10 minutes from Kirkhill for a short winter evening blast.

rugbydick

travellingman – it’s not my place (I’m renting) but I can put you in touch with my landlady if you’re interested.
    My email is in my profile.

l5tuy
    Free Member

Hello,

Although a wee bit late, did you find a place in Westhill? I have a 3 bed house i’m looking to rent out in Westhill, close to the Broadstraik (as mentioned above).

Stu

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m guessing those rental prices are due to the oil industry? I’ve just looked on a rental website and some of those properties, although not bad, are shocking for the prices…3 and 4 bed semi’s for 2k+ a month, WTF!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about renting property in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.