Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone know about remote control yachts?
  • roper
    Free Member

I unexpectedly have one in my living room. This to be precise

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaW6DcXECw[/video]

I haven’t got a clue what to do with it, what it does, except from the video above.
    Any tips or info, advice or suggestions? Anything really.

roper
    Free Member

10 minutes and no replies? 😯
    This thread should be flooded with posts!!!!
    doesn’t everyone have a remote control yacht?

bencooper
    Free Member

Had one. It sank.

roper
    Free Member

Now there’s an idea

carbon337
    Free Member

I know a few who do. I raced normal yachts for years and still do now and again.

A guy I sailed Solings with does World Champs etc. There are a few forums and clubs around that will help you get started.

EDIT – do you have any idea about sailing at all? if not you may struggle with trimming, tacking, gybing wind angles etc.

wukfit
    Free Member

looks alright,
    have never owned one but always fancied one,

Saccades
    Free Member

Used to play with my dad’s rc yacht as a kid – v complicated from what I recall – certainly more effort than the gp14 we had.

Used to go to Etherow park (nr manchester) for the races and stuff which was always good fun.

In fact I might ask him what he’s done with his old boats and see if I can have a play again.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Someone actually filmed this?

roper
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about sailing past you need water and some wind and they do stuff. To be honest it took me a few minutes to realise it doesn’t have a propeller.
    It is big though, far too big for my bath. It is built and looks sort of ready. Some of the strings (rigging?) look slack.

wwaswas

I have that exact one.

Sail it down Hove lagoon very occasionally.

Was fun to build up and it’s ok for an hours distraction on a summers day when there’s a breeze.

It’s quite a lof faffing though each time.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

From my experience, in order of interestingness of RC things from best to worst…
    1. helicopters
    2. planes
    3. cars
    4. boats
    5. yachts
    6. submarines.

Though 1 and 2 are quite “crashy”. They had some at the bike/boat/outdoor show, it looked a little boring.

roper
    Free Member

Great!!!
    what is it or what’ s it called? Do you know where I can get instructions or some info?

wwaswas

pdf’s on this page;

http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/5555.html

there’s some sailing tips at the back of the build manual iirc.

titusrider
    Free Member

I in heritied my grandads one made from Plans and fiberglass with 70/80’s RC gear It was HUGE, complex to rig and pretty awesome. Literally only sailed it once when various bits wernt broken. My parents pursuaded my to bin it as it was taking up space in thier garage, i wish i hadnt it was awesome, ill go try find a pic of something similar but it was pretty unusual, had a Z keel

cb

How do you “unexpectedly” have one of those in your living room?

wwaswas

my money’s on a tear in the space time continuum

bikebouy
    Free Member

Any where near Gosport?

They have a regular Sunday morning meet on the lake behind Priddys.

We have an annual bottle race at Langstone Bridge in Chi Harbour, that wouldn’t count though. 😉

roper
    Free Member

Great thanks for the info. I’m nowhere near Gosport (or the UK) but am near a lake.

How do you “unexpectedly” have one of those in your living room?

Its a bit complicated but Ive been asked to look after it. Anyway, it’s in the spider room now.

titusrider
    Free Member

if you go to ‘a lake’ not a ‘boating pond’ then be sure to take some waders/ a big stick with a hook on the end for when it gets stuck on some weeds/ branches 🙂

A bot of googling suggests Grandads Swept forward keel design was pretty radical and pretty flawed, i cant see any other boats like it!

aracer
    Free Member

From my experience, in order of interestingness of RC things from best to worst…
    1. helicopters
    2. planes
    3. cars
    4. boats
    5. yachts
    6. submarines.

Personal experience of all of those? I’ve only got experience of the first 3, and only toy cars rather than proper ones. Not totally convinced about the order of the first two – personally I find planes more interesting as you can do more exciting things with them without having to be a flying god (and anyway I’m not really into the idea of doing 3D with helis).

Anyway I have occasionally toyed with the idea of a yacht, hence reading this thread – would definitely prefer one to a motor boat. However I suspect you’re right that the novelty will quickly wear off.

Also curious about RC subs – what do you do with one, and how on earth do you control one? Do you rely on FPV/instruments rather than LOS?

igrf
    Free Member

They can be fun raced against one another, just looming around on your own pretty boring once you’ve dialled it.

So, the positives.

You’ll learn how to sail, watch the water to see where the wind is coming from and going to.
    Have fun putting it together, working out the radio frequency you can operate on and steal other peoples device by changing it.
    See how a sailboat works and how it has to be controlled, in your case remotely.
    Marvel at the ingenuity of man and yourself once you master it.

The negatives

Lakes generally have trees round them that shield the wind causing big wind shadows into which the time will inevitably dawn that you’ll have to wade/swim into to retrieve your boat.
    Kids will inevitably ‘want a go’ leading to the above
    Wives don’t get it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Personal experience of all of those?

Not all, but most at the “toy” end of the spectrum (though they all required building) from years ago! The yacht got boring quickly. Had .30 helicopter though, that was good fun.

Used to see submarines at the local boating lake. I think the attraction was in the construction of a minature working model rather than the operation. They’ve probably got FPV now.

i’m tempted to get another heli.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about remote control yachts?’ is closed to new replies.