• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by scud.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone know about Praxis BBs?
  • heavy_rat
    Free Member

Looking to replace the PF30 BB with a Praxis.

But from what I can the Praxis sets the bearings outside the frame just like an external BB.

However that would then make the width of BB shell approximately 2 cm wider. Which leads me to wonder if my crankset spindle would be long enough.

Any ideas?

theotherjonv

Praxis is a BB30 to Shimano/GXP/Campag converter IIRC, so no if you have a FSA crankset in there as they have different widths and diams.

That’s also why you need adaptors to fit Shimano to BB30, iirc

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Yes, the bearings are external to the shell. I’m using a Shimano crank in a Praxis PF30 BB, works perfectly.
    What crank are you planning on using?

longmover
    Free Member

BB30 to Shimano converter here, easy to fit and works well. Simple to replace the bearing in.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Wanted to use my current cranks which are Shimano FC-R565. As far as I can tell they are Hollowtech II which means they should be fine. But to me it seems that the bottom bracket shell plus the extra width of the bearing cups would be too wide for the crank spindle.

simondbarnes

If your cranks are Shimano then you won’t currently have a PF30 in there (unless there are also adaptors present)

dovebiker

Are you sure its PF30, it could be PF41/BB92? Measure the nominal diameter of the ID of the BB shell: BB92 = 41mm, BB30 = 42mm, PF30 = 46mm

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Sorry I should have mentioned its a road bike. The current BB is a Shimano BB-71 which I think makes it a BB-86 which I thought was a PF30 type. But it seems BB-86 and PF30 are different standards altogether. Confusing stuff.

dovebiker

Yup, BB-71 is BB86/PF41 – the problem is some bike makers also adopt different terminologies for the same thing.

scud
    Free Member

I have the Praxis OSBB (specializeds BB£0 equiv) in my Roubaix, the original BB lasted less than 400 miles before it was squeaking, the Praxis running with Ultegra cranks, has done more than 10000 miles and is only now starting to grind a bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about Praxis BBs?’ is closed to new replies.