Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone know about OpenVPN on Android?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get openvpn to connect to my home router from my android phone, when I browse the web it thinks my IP is that of my home network, so it appears to be working.

I’m having issues getting RDP or SMB protocols to go through the VPN on my phone though, if I try to use microsoft remote desktop via the VPN it just says it can’t find the remote computer, if I scan the network for available hosts it appears to return a list of PCs on my work wifi (that I’m connected to on my phone) rather than the ones on my home network so I’m not sure its routing the traffic through the VPN.
    In ES Explorer when trying to connect to an SMB share, it times out trying to connect to a stored setting for one on my home network and if I scan the network it doesn’t show any servers, so I assume this is also not being sent through the VPN.

I’m pretty sure its a setting somewhere in the client side, the settings files were created by the web interface from my router setup not by me manually so i’m not sure what I should be looking for?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are you using up address for rdp or computer name (which will probably be resolved by some NetBIOS/ WINS thing)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Aha! thats fixed the RDP, works fine if I use the IP, great!

Now, just the pesky SMB to go…

slowbloke
    Free Member

For DNS to work you will need to add something along the lines of this to your server.conf (assuming you have a DNS server at home)

push “dhcp-option DNS XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX”
    push “dhcp-option DOMAIN mydomain.co.uk”

Cougar

Now, just the pesky SMB to go…

Same applies, no? \\192.168.0.2 rather than \\myhomepc ?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I don’t (think I) have a DNS server at home.

You’d have thought so, but ES file explorer just says it can’t find the server.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Aha, after yesterdays lesson on windows firewall logging, it looks like its the windows firewall on the PC with the SMB share thats dropping the connection attempt.

Just need to figure out how to tweek the rules to allow it through now!

TheBrick
    Free Member

You probably won’t have a DNS at home. It will be NetBIOS doing its thing when you are at home. (Probably broadcast NetBIOS has several modes)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Fixed it, for anyone thats interested, the rule for port 445 in the Private profile is what was causing the problem, the scope was only the local subnet, changed that to any IP and it works.
    I do wonder if I should just add the subnet of the VPN connections but I think it’ll take a bit more digging to find what that actually is.
    Edit – just added the range of local IPs that the VPN spits out onto ie. 192.168.254.1 – 254
    Works fine now. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about OpenVPN on Android?’ is closed to new replies.