Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • anyone know about domestic water purifaction systems?
  • ed34
    Free Member

theres a house for sale i know of in the hills in southern spain that i’m interested in but it has no mains water supply.

rainwater is collected from the roof and stored in an underground cistern, then theres an above ground store on a the land a bit higher then the house that you can pump water up to (generator for house electricity + electric pump) which feeds the house via gravity prssure

Obviously at the moment the water isnt suitable to drink as it has all sorts of debris off the roof mixed in with it. A lot of this settles out, but when you look in the above ground holding tank you can still see a fair bit of small floating debris.

what sort of system would you need to improve the quality of the water? At the moment its just used for the toilet and shower, and bottled water for everything else.

I’m not too bothered myself but we’ve got two young kids so would be better if we could improve the quality as they may be more prone to pickng up bugs.

So what sort of kit do i need to look at, would a filter and UV system eliminate / kill most things? Any particularly nasty things i need to know that might be present in the stored roof runoff?

thanks

mcj78
    Free Member

Don’t know the exact system, but a cottage I stayed in up north a couple of years ago had one which pumped water from a nearby stream then through a few filters & uv treatment, eventually stored in a big tank somewhere – this was fit to drink so it is possible.

This entire system was new & was pretty much sealed from the when it left the stream, main concern from an old water tank would be nasties like legionella etc lingering around – might be better long term if the whole system was replaced to provide “clean” water rather than sticking a few filters on to an old system, no idea of cost on any of this though – someone on here will likely have done it & be better able to advise you on the technical ins & outs.

J

rusty90
    Free Member

We’re fed off spring tanks which then goes through a particle filter, rectifier and UV filter, which is effective for removing bacteria and some chemicals like nitrates. Rectifier and particle filter need refilling/replacing on a regular basis. It might be worth having the water tested to see what’s in there, just in case there’s stuff like heavy metals or nasty chemicals like PCBs and VOCs.
    And as pointed out above, the water purity will only be as good as what’s in the system after the purification system.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Teifiterror
    Free Member

Filter and UV (or mayber just filter) or you could consider a reverse osmosis system. Either would treat to a high standard and take out most things you would find in rainwater.

With the filtration you could get a filter fine enough to take out bacteria/viruses/cryptosporidium which would potentially negate the need for UV. Suggest getting hold of a few companies and weigh up the positivies/negatives of the various systems as there will be cost/volume limitations to each as well as need for spares etc to keep it running.#

As said above, water would ideally be tested to understand if there is any additional contamination that cannot be removed with the systems above and may require activated carbon to take out or special media for soluble metals removal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘anyone know about domestic water purifaction systems?’ is closed to new replies.