• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by StuE.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fanny pack for mountain biking
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I hate riding with a camelbak so for the last year have been trying to manage without one using saddle mounted bag, water bottle and stuff in back pockets. It feels a lot better but often run out of water costing me time & money having to stop at places to refill. Have very little capacity in general for carrying stuff so am thinking of opting for a fanny pack (Not sure if this is the best name for them?). Anyone recommend one which is any good? Don’t want to waste money on rubbish but don’t want to spend a fortune on one either.

I’m not sure if I want one with a bladder pack – as I’ve heard that they are difficult to clean and the pipe that you have to drink out of gets covered in mud during the ride ?

Edric64
    Free Member

Called a bumbag in the UK.I have used one but find they bounce around a lot and the belt is restricting if done up tight enough to keep it in place

cheekyget
    Free Member

If you want some thing with a fanny…get a fleshlight 😆

tang
    Free Member

Have a look at mountain smith from the states.

ajantom

Osprey – not sure what it’s called – well made, comfortable, comes with 2 bottles. I’ll happily ride all day with mine.

whitestone
    Free Member

Inov8 do something similar for runners. Not used them myself but I’ve heard good reports from those that do.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Osprey – not sure what it’s called – well made, comfortable, comes with 2 bottles. I’ll happily ride all day with mine.

It’s not this one is it ??

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/osprey-talon-6-lumbar-pack-e1612124?id_colour=124

scotroutes

As I said on the other thread – Ortlieb. Robust, fully waterproof, comfy. It even has a pocket for a Spot Tracker 🙂

djflexure

I use the Osprey one and find it works very well. Anything from local trails to Kielder 100.
    Bottles are a lot less faff.

DezB
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/RV4dyUfbNsM[/video]

grannyjone
    Free Member

Do they work well with mountain biking ? Does the mud not cause too much damage to them ? (Got no mud guard at the rear – Just front only at the moment!)

Also does the belt around the waist not get annoying / uncomfortable ?

As I’m on a FS I can’t use a frame bag so I think saddle bag & bum bag are my only alternative to the camelbak which I’m trying to avoid.

The capacity improvement provided by the bumbag would be very most welcomed after a year of struggling with saddle bag and back pockets only, on rides up to 35 miles.

scotroutes

Yes – that’s all I use mine for.

Does the mud not cause too much damage to them ?

No. Might depend on the make/construction though.

Also does the belt around the waist not get annoying / uncomfortable ?

Not on mine. A good waist belt is obviously essential.

matt_outandabout

^wot scotroutes said.

I use my old ones when canoeing, and keep thinking I should get another one for shorter summer rides, they are really practical.

johnnystorm

A wingnut is somewhere in-between. Also have a look at a Montane Batpack.

alexh
    Free Member

I actually find it protects my rear end from mud quite nicely.

Del

another osprey user here for a couple of years now. just brush the mud off when it’s dry ( not sure how it would be any different to any other pack? certainly would not get as much as a seatpack! ).
    one mistake people seem to make is to try and have them sit in the small of the back, and to do that they over-tighten the belt. mine is most comfy sitting on the top of my arse.
    they don’t bounce around any more than backpacks IME.

kayak23

Was riding with two mates recently who both use fannypacks.
    They love them.
    Had to lend one of them my pump that I was carrying in my backpack while the other one didn’t have enough water for the ride and couldn’t decide whether to bring a coat or not as it was either on or off…

Yeah, fannypacks….brilliant… 🙄

scotroutes

Fannys, not fannypacks.

Del

they sound like ace mates kayak.
    i had to buy a smaller pump to fit in mine TBF, and I typically carry a montane windproof.
    also arm warmers, a largeish packet of nuts, regular toolkit i imagine anyone would carry ( chain breaker, mech hanger, multitool etc etc. ), spare tube, tubeless repair kit, phone, buff, gps.
    there’s room in there for front/rear lights, another spare tube if i wanted, and i could switch out the windproof for a waterproof if i wanted to ( but typically I use a softshell if the temperature has got low, so the windproof will work with that if it’s that bad and I’m out in it ).
    one bottle either side, and the only thing that bothers me a little is water capacity, but I did some pretty long days in the borders this year and didn’t run out of water.

so, yeah, you have to adapt a little ( shorter pump ), but i imagine if you’re the sort that’s going to leave home without a pump or enough water you can probably find an excuse to do that irrespective of your chosen portage method. 😉

alexh
    Free Member

I’m with del on this. I’d not want to carry any more than my pack holds. Water capacity is probably the only downside, but you adapt. Both of my bikes can take 2 bottles, and I have another on the bum bag. the reason I’m not using my camelpack is that the weight bouncing on my spine hurts if I’m carrying a lot of water.

kayak23

Del – Member
    they sound like ace mates kayak.

They are, and to be fair we’re riding up and down in one location, but still… A pump saves you a walk down to the car at least… 🙂

benp1

Most of my riding is local XC type loops

If I’m out for a big day then I’m usually bikepacking so I’m loaded up anyway

Therefore a bumbag is handy and less faff than a pack. Water goes on the bike

grannyjone
    Free Member

As I said on the other thread – Ortlieb. Robust, fully waterproof, comfy. It even has a pocket for a Spot Tracker

I did a search for the Ortlieb and the only thing I could find was a pack costing £90! Is this how much it is ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fanny pack for mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.