Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone kayak? Isle of Wight to Portsmouth
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can you kayak from Ryde to Portsmouth?

Roughly how far is it and how long will it take for a reasonably competent paddler?

DezB
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong?

Nico
    Free Member

Yes, you can. The important things are
    1. check the tides. Currents are strong at certain times so you need a tidal atlas (I think the best is by Bruce and available from chandlers for about a tenner).
    2. shipping. Those big ships go fast, even in the solent. If you get in the way they won’t stop.
    3. weather. Do it on a nice day to avoid the solent death chop.
    4. make sure you know what you are doing and have a decent boat.

Distance is about 4 or 5 miles so it would take about an hour.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nick1c
    Free Member

Don’t forget a packed lunch – best eaten whilst drifting in the shipping lane or close to the ferry route.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ferry fees too high?
    😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Why do you want to do something stupid like that?

There’s a ferry, no?

FFS…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mate is getting a couple of kayaks shipped over from Australia and fancied giving it a go.

bent_udder
    Free Member

First question: have you kayaked before, and to what level?

Second: how’s your navigation skills? I’m not talking about using an OS map in the countryside, either.

Third: Know anything about the MEZs in place on the Solent? have either of you got a VHF / DSC license? Do you know what Neaps is?

I did write a load of advice but, frankly, if you’ve just looked at a map and thought ‘Hey! that looks doable!’ the advice might not be much use. Apart from the bit about deciding whether to be an amusing RNLI anecdote about Darwin Award nominees or just disappearing completely.
    I’ve got experience of racing on the Solent (about fifteen years so far), qualified as an RYA Dinghy Instructor when I was 16 and raced the Round Britain and Ireland at the age of 18, so drop me a line if you want any advice, pointers et cetera.

Simplest advice is to call the MCA and ask them what they recommend – the Coasties are pretty damn sound.

davey99
    Free Member

Sailed out of Haslar Marina and Langstone Harbour for 10 years.
    Even in good summer weather there will be a strong wind and tides. Good calm weather means hundreds of prats in 100k boats going to Bembridge/Cowes for a few drinks (plus a few who are competant), ferries and commercial traffic who will not see you and couldn’t manouvre or stop even if they did. Really dont think its a good idea, its probably the busiest stretch of water in the world, would think twice.
    Would suggest a trip in Langstone or Chichester harbour if you fancy something a bit safer.

40mpg

You could always try canoeing Tanners Brook through Lordswood and down to Millbrook, it would be marginally safer.

😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rudeboy, thats NOT the IOW ferry, that the old gosport slag bag friday night / solent touring boat.
    The cats are rather larger and faster (most of the time), i should know i go on one EVERY **** working day for the last 7 years.

WCA Yes i’d imagine you could, but you’ll need to watch out for the HUGE container ships, they take about 5 miles to slow down / manouver so don’t even think of playing chicken with one!

How about a complete circumnavigation of Portsmouth Island instead?

Android
    Free Member

David Walliams swam it as part of his training so its definately possible. Might be an idea to have a support boat along side, this could be seen by any larger craft, and drag you out of danger if needed.
    Also don’t even think about it unless you are pretty good at rolling. Regardless of how calm the weather is you’ll get wash from ships, and speedboats.

Rudeboy?? what are you on about, its a challenge. I’ll bet you just go for a bus ride round town rather than get on your bike and go for a ride!!
    FFS!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m fairly well trained in kayaks (a long time ago I did the 4* BCU type award, including rescue techniques, rolls, white water etc) but I was well and truly caught out last weekend by chop in a wrong-style-kayak for the sea – I was out in a short, high white water boat and it made the paddling rather tough and unstable in even smallish chop. I took 3 dunkings and by the 3rd was unable to drain the boat any further (even with the help of someone in a non-capsized boat) and ended up swimming to shore dragging the kayak with me, fortunately in an incoming tide. Would hate to be 2 miles offshore with that problem so check you’re sufficiently used to the boats, they’re well set up and of a sea-going type.

Smee
    Free Member

Go on to the ukriversguidebook.co.uk sites sea forum and ask them.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

that the old gosport slag bag friday night / solent touring boat.

LOL! Sounds fantastic!

Rudeboy?? what are you on about, its a challenge. I’ll bet you just go for a bus ride round town rather than get on your bike and go for a ride!!
    FFS!

No, I’m too frightened. 🙁

singletrackmind

How about a lap of Hayling??
    Start at the Ship ( how ironic) on the ebb and get ferried down Langstone, cut across the sandbar and past the gays on trays ( kitesurfers ) . Stop at mine for Tea and Biscuits, just shout and I’ll bring them down, with some traditional Lemonade. Then catch the flood and get whisked up Chichester harbour, quick drinky in HISC ,, then back to TA Daaa The Ship. Im not a canoeistist, but maybe 5 -6 hours in total, all within swimming distance of land in case someone has a little accident / drops paddle / sinks etc

Lionheart
    Free Member

Bit busy around parts of that route, I think there are nicer-better legs – check out
    http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/sea_trips_england.htm
    get/borrow copy (stand in book shop reading) South West Sea Kayaking by Mark Rainsey
    good luck

Nico
    Free Member

All a bit negative, though I’d second a paddle around Chichester harbour as an opener. You can rack up a hell of a lot of miles doing that and it’s beautiful on a sunny day. Probably more interesting than crossing the east solent. Alternatively, what about Beaulieu to Gurnard – quite a bit shorter and much less big ship action, but the tides are still to be reckoned with. But if you pick slack water it’s not a big deal. Or Beaulieu to Lymington along the coast in very shallow water. It’s about the only way you can see this stretch close up (there’s a footpath but it goes a bit inland).

bent_udder
    Free Member

A third for Chichester harbour – lovely place to muck around on the water, with no large office block – sized objects steaming at 15kts. Birdham Pool is also a great place to bimble from. Singletrackmind’s offer should be taken up, and Hayling’s a great place to paddle. HISC has gone from being a cool-but-basic place with Nissen hut accommodation and groovy beach club feel to something a lot swankier. Incidentally, STM, is the old velodrome still there in the hangars?

MCA guidance on kayaking heresaying pretty much what this thread is saying.

The Solent Coastguard duty room details are here.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The clue’s in the name—

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone kayak? Isle of Wight to Portsmouth’ is closed to new replies.