Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone into pre 70s bikes?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I always have a Bisto moment when I see an old British handmade bicycle. So I've decided to have a go at a simple restoration. Nothing exotic, just a Claud Butler in what described as 'Campagnolo Blue Flam'.
    So far I've got the frame and forks which will need a repaint. GB bars and stem, Campagnolo track pedals and Stronglight 49D single alloy chainset.
    Doing up slowly, but hope to be out on it this winter.
    Any other V neck plus shirt and tie shed dwellers out there?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Plenty of advice too hand on Retrobike

Though more addictive than crack cocaine … and twice as expensive once your hooked 🙂

though I did get my Pace F2 RC 200 off there 🙂 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Been on there trying to age my frame, as it has 115mm spacing which pre dates five speed!
    Plus I've had an offer of a special tool to remove my chainset as that's different to anything we'll have in our toolboxes.

oldgit
    Free Member

here's the old pile of tat as found and sitting comfortably next to my full carbon road race bike and alu crosser.

I'm already hooked on Ebay searching for period matching junk.

coastkid
    Free Member

i have a 1954 Raleigh sports 3 spd which was sold new up the road in Edinburgh, full story here

load more other stuff/junk including a moulton and a childs trusty which research has ground to a halt?

dawson

My dad's old bike is still in the shed at the bottom of the garden at my parents house – my dad passed away 11 years ago – threads like this make me want to get it out of the shed, but i'm unsure of the emotions that it may provoke…

Its a Carlton racer of some kind, it was made in this very town, the building was knocked down and some industrial units called Carlton Phoenix now stand where the factory used to be, I think Carlton got bought out/absorbed by Raleigh.

It has an original Brooks leather saddle, but I think the leather has perished, due to the shed roof leaking and its got damp.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My fixie is based on Raleigh Esquire. They don't make them bikes like they used to anymore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone into pre 70s bikes?’ is closed to new replies.