Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone in/near got an engine hoist I can borrow?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I am removing the engine from my car and need an engine hoist. Ideally with someone who knows how to use it too. I can collect it and return it (with beer as well if necessary)

I will be removing the engine as soon as I find a hoist and will be putting it back once I have fixed it/f*cked it totally.

Marko

I have one. It's in Bristol though!
    Hth
    Marko

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

£30 to rent so probably cheaper than the diesel to Bristol and back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Where in the world?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

southampton

allthepies
    Free Member

This will end in tears 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have done it with a winch attached to my dads garage rafters before. Will ask if I can borrow it you want. and lend a hand if you need one 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

This will end in tears flames

😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Have rented one. Which size hammer to remove AirCon pump?

Marko

I assume you are trying to leave the AC pump and all pipe work in position to save having the system de-gassed?

PM me the car you are working on and I may be able to help.

Hth
    Marko

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

soma – feel free to pop round if you want a laugh. Not sure i will get the engine out tonight but that is the plan.
    Do you know anything about engines?
    Thinking of trying to fix the 'tegra

bigyinn
    Free Member

This the Type R with the borked bottom end?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I thought these Vtec engines had a failure rate of zero. If so honda might be interested to hear that you have blown one.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

T'is the typeR

It wouldn't have failed if I had topped the oil up rather than thinking it would be fine to wait until the service at the weekend.

d4
    Free Member

Have one in Shirley? If that's any good to you?

d4
    Free Member

Oops just read the "rented one" bit.

tron
    Free Member

I thought these Vtec engines had a failure rate of zero. If so honda might be interested to hear that you have blown one.

It's not the engines that have a zero failure rate, it's the V-tec mechanism which as never failed! Does nobody pay attention to my pedantry?!?!!

😆

BBB, I seriously recommend having a couple of mates to help – you don't want to swing the engine into any bodywork.

I also wish you luck in freeing the exhaust manifold – might be best if you can pull the engine with the manifold on. You could split the exhaust system at the first join, or take the downpipe off if it's seperate. I wouldn't be surprised if a Type R engine has a big 4-1 manifold and no downpipe.

That way you can split the engine and mani at your leisure, with the help of a blowtorch and plusgas.

Do you have a stand to hang it on?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I have an engine stand. I don't have any mates – will a wife do?

molgrips
    Free Member

is this just to repair the big end? Can you not do this in the car, with the sump off? I'm sure I've seen it done in-car on the telly.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

molgrips – not sure what the damage is but there is not much space under a TypeR and I don't have ramps to raise the car.

molgrips
    Free Member

How many miles on the car?

tron
    Free Member

Ideally you'd get someone on each side of the car to stop the engine swinging about. If you're careful you should be able to swing out out on your jack jones, but it's reassuring to have someone to help / point and laugh.

boobs

"I have an engine stand. I don't have any mates – will a wife do?

Ha ha, mates usually watch in shiney new trainers/jeans mumbling that they might get dirty, then tell everyone in the pub afterwards what "we" did..

I'd be tempted not to use "the wife" except for cups of tea (usually cold) and comments like "have you nearly finished.

Take your time and check for randomly attached cables.

Good luck.

molegrips, if the bottom end is properly shagged the crank will need to come out

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

1 out of the 3 exhaust bolts has now been loosened!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol. Good luck mate 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

You could indeed to mains and big ends with the block in the car, but it's hard work and involves pretty much the same as doing it out of the car, but without the extraction or the ease of getting to it. You CAN do a clutch in-car on mine, but it's a lot easier to do it out of the car.

Can I recommend getting an engine stand? So nice to work on an engine that's properly secured, not swinging from a hoist or resting on bricks!

jahwomble
    Free Member

Do you really think with your alter ego, you really should be mucking about with stuff with chains and gearing…..oh hang on.

Stu

coffeeking
    Free Member

What's your secret, you're getting a few offers whereas my trailer request is getting pushed off the bottom of the page. Damnit!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

The exhaust is free!!

I now just need a scissor knuckle breaker (or something like) that to get off the sticky out bits with the wheels on and then an 8mm drift to knock out a spring pin.

I have a picture of the scissor knuckle thingy to take with me to MachineMart tomorrow but what is an 8mm drift and what does it look like.

spandex_bob

A drift lets you hit something that has a sub-flush head with a hammer. So an 8mm drift is an 8mm diameter cylinder that you place on the end of the spring pin, then hit with a hammer until the spring pin pops out.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A drift lets you hit something that has a sub-flush head with a hammer. So an 8mm drift is an 8mm diameter cylinder that you place on the end of the spring pin, then hit with a hammer until the spring pin pops out.

I have visions of Mr Bash in A&E tomorrow. He has previous with diy engineering!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

so basically I can use an 8mm allen keyy?

sobriety
    Free Member

Yes, but i'r recommend using if socket that fits flushly in the hole, rather than an allen key. Or probably just buy a drift, as they're designed to be twatted repeatedly with a hammer whilst swearing.

Oh and

Haynes: Using a suitable drift…
    Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!

sweepy
    Free Member

Arent allen keys measured across the flats? wont that mean that the corners are more than 8mm?

singletrackmind

Use an extension bar from a 1/4 drive socket set .
    This is on the advice that you a.- Have a 1/4 drive socket set

and b.- You havent already used it as a drift, and its fubarred

Are you trying to dismantle the driveshaft knuckles?

Normally they pop out with a **** from a hefty mallet or big lever ( well they do on some cars)

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Got a drift.

Gently tap – Nothing

Gently tap – Nothing

Harder tap – Nothing

Harder tap – Nothing

Smack it – Miss the end of the drift and take out my knuckles. Ow.

Is there a clever way of doing this or just repeatedly hit the bl00dy thing?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone in/near got an engine hoist I can borrow?’ is closed to new replies.