Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dundee tonight or St Andrews on Saturday (Military band content)
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab and a few of his compadre’s are Beating the Retreat.

For those uninitiated in such things (me, a fortnight ago then…), it is a ‘brass band play-off’ and parade, while playing, effectively. Lot’s of military top brass are there, and the 25th Stirling BB’s are planning to play some more ‘light hearted’ numbers – such as Wallace and Grommit and the theme from Rocky. 😆 8)

April 09, 2015 at City Square, Dundee in Dundee.

A Ceremony of Beating Retreat held for the second year in the heart of the City of Dundee featuring bands from four Uniformed Youth Organisations.

The Band of the Northern Area SCC
    The Regimental Band, Black Watch ACF
    The Band and Drums of the 1st (Northern Ireland) Battalion ACF
    The Band and Drums of Durham and Northumberland Wing ATC
    The Band and Drums of the 1st Tulliallan Company Boys’ Brigade
    The Band of the 25th Stirling (Dunblane) Boys’ Brigade

St Andrew’s is a big parade on Saturday:

fasthaggis

You know the answer Matt.
    St Andrews is just a poshed up redneck Village town in Fife 😉

matt_outandabout

Hence why Pirates of the Caribbean theme, Rocky theme and Great Escape theme are perfect… 😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dundee will have more of an atmosphere, isn’t as nice but will have more entertainment during the day (Sensation science centre, Discovery etc.).

St Andrews is pretty, nice for a potter around, full of bell ends (I used to be one of them) and the kids will get bored. Good if you need to buy any birthday cards. It does have a cracking beach, though, and you could do the coast walk while you’re there.

matt_outandabout

I think my title is misleading you Luke. 😕

I have to go tonight and Saturday – it was more of a PSA for everyone… 😉

The rest of the family will be climbing Snowdon….

Rubber_Buccaneer

‘brass band play-off’

Like a bandstand off? Thanks for the PSA, I will stay this end of the country well out of earshot 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ooops. Sorry.

Anyway, is it anything like the do’s they have round Manchester on Whit Friday? Because the combination of brass bands and booze there is excellent.

matt_outandabout

I may have to rent Brassed Off again from the library, just to get some cues as to how to behave on such events, lad.

matt_outandabout

*Warning*

Proud Dad indulging himself.

That’s my lad in there.

*end Warning

Absolutely fabulous display from a bunch of kids and teens, many of whom had not played together before Sunday…

[video]https://youtu.be/W4q9HJCcyeA[/video]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dundee tonight or St Andrews on Saturday (Military band content)’ is closed to new replies.