• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone in Bardonecchia last xmas (2005)?
  • Earl
    Free Member

What was the snow like? Were they any runs at all?

Considering going there this year over xmas.

Last xmas we were in Sestriere not to far away with 7 -10 runs max. It was all artificial snow. Whats the Bardonecchia snow making like?

Earl
    Free Member

That should read last year ‘2015’ not ‘2005’

geoffj

Bardonecchia is lower than Sestriere and without as much snow making capacity.
    I know this, because I’ve just booked an early January week in Sestriere on the basis that the conditions will be better than in Bardonecchia.
    *crosses fingers and adds sestriere webcam to favourites*

😀

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks – will probably give it a miss then.

Sestriere last year was grassy fields except on the runs themselves. Even though we never saw the canons on, the runs were fine for the whole week. Some kind of Italian magic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I skied Sauze at Christmas some years ago. Similar altitude and area. Arrived to almost nothing. First day was average, at best. That night, in the Village bar, and old chap said it would start snow at around 2200. We were tired, so started to walk home at around 2150. En route back to our hotel, snow. Lots of snow. Turbopuke. It snowed heavily for the rest of the week, with the heaviest snow falling during the nights.

Brilliant fresh every day!

Who knows. You might luck out as well.

momo

We were in Sauze for Feb half term this year, snow was a little patchy when we arrived, massive dump on our first night and then nothing more all week. Muddy patches and grass on some of the more popular runs on our last day. Was 11 degrees at 5am on the day we left, snow was melting off the hotel roof.

nickjb
    Free Member

Some kind of Italian magic.

The Italians are the best at keeping the runs open. We had a late week in passo and the lower runs back to town were just a foot wide. Most of the mountain was grass, but you could still ski everywhere

Earl
    Free Member

From Sestriere, crystal took us to Sauze for the day. It was xams week 2015. There was one run open – the Sportina lift. It was perfectly groomed and a good 4 inches deep. 1 inch off the edge and it was just dirt. As I said – ‘Italian Magic’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone in Bardonecchia last xmas (2005)?’ is closed to new replies.