• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone here use Skype for Business?
  • leffeboy

and if so are you able to transfer files between regular users and SfB users? I get transfer errors all the time and the official Microsoft support weren’t at all helpful. But, its a bit random who you get so before trying again I thought I would ask and see if this is a general issue or just an issue with my setup.

thanks all

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not any more it was crap.

leffeboy

That’s kind of what I was thinking but they are making it more and more difficult to create standard skype accounts using an Office365 email address. It’s getting painful

Good to know it’s not just me though

simon_g

Not supported (yet) between consumer Skype and Skype for Business.

Between SfB users should work fine, but can be restricted via policy.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s been a while but your admins can set policy to say what is allowed regarding file transfer, internal users, federated users, file types etc.

It can also get complicated if you go across firewalls, vpns etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2799505/you-can-t-send-or-receive-files-or-attachments-in-skype-for-business-online

footflaps

We used to, but it’s terrible now. I barely use it anymore.

leffeboy

It’s been a while but your admins can set policy to say what is allowed regarding file transfer, internal users, federated users, file types etc

Yep. I’ve set it to theoretically be allowed to external users but it doesn’t work. I was wondering if anyone else was actually able to use it but it looks as though most just avoid it. I understand why

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likewise have the same issue. From that above article…

“Transferring files to Skype contacts isn’t supported”

Other than file transfers, I find SfB is fine for my needs, and keeps things separate from my personal Skype stuff. There are tonnes of other ways of transferring files anyway.

Keep an eye on Microsoft Teams. They’re considering adding external users on that. It’s shaping up to be a nice product for collaborative chat and sharing. Though there are plenty of others, like Slack. Convincing other corporate people to use these in preference to Skype is harder though in my experience.

aP
    Free Member

About 6 weeks ago I went into someone’s offices that we were cooperating with on a project. We had a telecon with somewhere in the middle East. They used skype for business. It took about 40 minutes to get everything working, then it was quite hard to hear and see anything properly at the same time. It didn’t sell the system to me.

leffeboy

Keep an eye on Microsoft Teams. They’re considering adding external users on that

Nice. We already do this with groups so I’ll keep an eye open for this, thanks

Transferring files to Skype contacts isn’t supported

Funny. I’d read that article several times in the past and had never seen that line. Need to slow down 🙁

Anyway, thanks. That’s really what I needed to know. For the moment it doesn’t work and that is a killer.

kcal

we do transfer files but that’s within the same domain / business / sign-on — so not really *Skype contacts* as close colleagues..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here use Skype for Business?’ is closed to new replies.