Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Anyone here ride a 1000cc sportsbike?
  • markyd

I’m considering px’ing my 2000 ZX-6R for something like a Fireblade or R1, there seem to be some cracking deals on the 2008 R1 at the moment. I don’t ride like a hoon, in fact I’d like to think I’m a pretty sensible sportsbike rider. So I’m just wondering; is a 1000cc a pointless yerning that I just need to grow out of (I’m 35), or would I enjoy the step up and still manage to be ‘sensible’?

What are places like at letting you test ride bikes?

solamanda
    Free Member

The 09 R1 has ‘big’ changes hence the deals, but the ones I’ve seen have been a bargain. I only ride a ‘soft’ 650 so can’t really comment. However personally I enjoy getting near the limits of the machine and most good riders could never fully use a 600 on public roads, forget 1000. It’s like using a dh bike for xc, ooops, I’ve done that…

markyd

I rode the SDW (Enduro thingy) on a Patriot ! 1000cc it is then!

snaps
    Free Member

My babies, they do ‘make’ you ride faster than 600’s – I’m considering down sizing to a CBR600RR (I’m 43 next month)

MrOvershoot

Oh no not I 😉

Donnington BTW

conkerman
    Free Member

I have one of the last ZX-9Rs

Comfy, touquey as a train, and still goes a bit bonkers at 8krpm as well 🙂

The ZX9 and the original model mille are fondly remembered as the last big sportsbikes for pie eaters 🙂

Conks

mikee
    Free Member

get a blade ,stupid fast but usable
    my daily driver is a 97rrt blade on paper the same performance as your zx6
    but on the road far more fun
    the 2004 onward ones are just superb 120mph 3rd gear wheelies so easy
    or you could buy an old 2stroke lc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are not riding your 600 fast why bother? More expensive to insure and run – a lot faster if you want it but if all you do is ride the 600 at half its capabilities why bother to get a faster bike?

Want the torque / pillion carrying ability get a sports tourer.

Its not what you ride its how you ride it.

speaker2animals

I hired a 2007 Ninja 600 and it was brill. Not noticinly less tractable than my mates VFR, not too small and V fast if when I wanted. If I were buying a S Sport I’d probably go for a GXR750 for the compromise between bigger bike grunt and size. As nice as 1000s are is there really any point unless you really are a loon.

Vtec800 VFR for me if I was in position to buy. Suberb machine. R6 nice to look at but too small, revvy and vibs. Had numb hands for 3 months after a week on one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was once tempted by a deal on a R1. Took it for a test ride and it was great for the first half hour or so. Not a bike I could ride for extended periods though. I stuck with my Blackbird in the end. Speed and comfort! Why compromise.

allybee
    Free Member

From what I’ve read in the motorcycle mags, the underseat exhaust R1 is supposed to be really comfy – Nick Saunders chose one to ride round the world on.

I was/am thinking along the same lines. I’ve got a 2003 zx-6r and I am wondering about changing up to something bigger (fancy an 04 r1, SP1 or 996). I’ve only got a budget of 4.5K so no ’08 models for me.

I’m coming round to thinking that I might just spend a bit of money on my ‘6r – shock & fork service & setup a few other bits and bobs and try that.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Actually… I don’t think it’s anything to do with what you ride or how you ride it. It’s like mountain bikes really – you get it cos you want to. I can’t ride my Yeti to it’s limits by any extent, but I still love the thing. And there is no way on Earth I was riding my TDM 850 to it’s limits… didn’t stop me chopping it in for a Speed Triple though (which I won’t even scratch the surface of it’s abilities).

I would be tempted by a thou if I was into the whole sports bikes thing simply because they are physically a bit bigger, and that would be a bit more comfortable for me.

That said… big nakeds is where it’s at 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

Of the supersports bikes I’ve had an R1, Firebolt xb12, GSXR600, Ninja ZX6R, SV650, ducati 749 and a fireblade.

The fireblade was by far the easiest to live with. Comfortable, smooth, powerful and well-built. A bit like me then.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I used to own a YZF1000 and alright its not a modern bike but bear with me.
    Whilst it was great having all that ‘ompf’ on tap if you are doing anything other than riding for hours on motorways/a-roads you’ll probably be better off sticking with something smaller as it’ll be easier to throw about and cheaper to own.
    Whilst it was great to be able to open the taps coming out of a corner and leaving mates on 600’s behind come the next set of corners they’d be right back on my tail and whilst some might say thats down to ability I’m assuming you aren’t a regular on the WSB circuit!
    Of course nowdays the raw ompf gap between 1000’s and 600’s has narrowed so its even less of a factor.
    I’m looking at getting a bike again soon and must say I’m tempted to downsize to a 600.

techsmechs
    Free Member

It does sound like you want change your bike, but it doesn’t sounds like your thrashing your 600. If you’ve always fancied a ‘Blade or something then go and ride one see what you think. (perhaps try a GSXR 750 – 600 handling bit more grunty) I personnally was thrashing a 600 sports bike everywhere and was going to drop it in a big way, or ‘become a long term resident or Her Majesty’. Traded it in for a *gulp* BMW sports tourer and suddenly found out there was loads of country side to look at as I rode along. Thinking of trading it for the GS next.

So really my point is, If you want a 1000cc sportsbike buy one. However – go and try some other shaped stuff too, KTM adventure, BMW GS/ST models – you might even like it.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

My ex had a BMW 650GS and I’m almost ashamed to say it was a fairly nice bike to ride, though not at any serious speed.

snaps
    Free Member

I know what you mean, I used to limit my leisure rides to less than hour, then stop for a bite to eat then an hour home but when I bought a XJR1300SP I found that I was a lot more aware of the views & rides became much longer & only stopping for fuel as it was much more comfortable & could still be riden fast if I was in the mood.

SP1 will probably be for sale soon if anyones interested.

conkerman
    Free Member

There is very little weight penalty with the big bikes nowadays, they are spectacularly light.

If sportsbikes are your thing then my view is the 954cc on blades are hard to beat. As are Gixxer 750s. They are pretty cramped though.

I must admit that the performance of a 1000cc ish sportsbike is pretty much impossible to use apart from a short blip. But you know that already 🙂 Smaller bikes can be more fun on the road as you can thash them a bit more.

I would add though that you should have a go on a Fazer 1000, the older model is like a rocket powered armchair!

Conks

mikee
    Free Member

“Of course nowdays the raw ompf gap between 1000’s and 600’s has narrowed so its even less of a factor.”

you obviously havent ridden a thou m8

if you want a big fast bike ,buy a big fast bike

if you want a big naked take a look at the fz1 (not fz1000)reasonaby cheap 4k ish and great fun to ride

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I had a an R1 for a few days. I like to think I’m a reasonably sensible rider, but the r1 took over and I went daft. Wouldn’t recommend it unless you like riding like a nutter. ZX9-R, bigger, slower, comfier (I’m a big bloke) – and plenty bargains out there. never riden one, but I believe the ZX-10 is a bit more nutter than the 9.
    Also had a Ducati 900SS, seriously not fast (about 145 top) but excellent handling and great fun to ride. Reliability problems though, esp electricals and mechanical things arising from an air-cooled composite engine (warm it up VERY carefully)
    Currently an Aprilia Futura. ehhhhhh, interesting. Great looking machine, excellent tourer so far, with (very) detuned RSV Mille engine (Rotax, so pretty reliable)

Marge
    Free Member

Alongside my commuting bike I also have a late ZX9R and am damn happy with it. Certainly comfortable for a bigger rider with very little down-side on absolute performance.

Don’t think you will find any of the sportsbikes much faster than the ZX6 you have now to be honest unless you are a track day participant.

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve had them all too – blades, gixxers, R1’s, Duke’s, etc.
    last year i bought a gsx-r600 for a bit of road and track fun.
    the 600 was MORE than enough for the road, and so much top end fun on track, i’d say stick on the 600.
    thou’s are all about POWER ! you won’t ride any faster as you won’t open the throttle sooner, as you’ll never know the potential outcome…….perhaps 😈
    however, if yoyu haven’t ever had one, then why not ?
    just be prepared………..LOL 😯

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Mine:

I ride it to Assen each year, and that’s about it. Would definitely have a 1000 over a 600, just because it’s so much more effortless to ride, cos you don’t have to work the engine.

freddyg
    Free Member

I spent 24 years with nothing bigger than a 750. 18 months ago I bought a Blackbird; I wish I’d done it years ago. Mile after mile after mile of effortless riding.

Ultimately, it depends what you want the bike for. I have always ridden bikes for my commute – my current one being just under 500 miles a week – smaller bikes have left me feeling knackered by the time I arrive, as it has been hard work to ‘make progress’. The Blackbird just eats up the distance.

freddyg
    Free Member

or basically, what STB just said. 🙂

oomidamon

I’m a big v-twin fan (and a fan of big v-twins!). I used to have an Aprilia RSV Mille but it was very fast and made me ride like a bit of a knob. I traded it in for a Suzuki SV1000S, which was fast enough but not mental. I sold that and bought a KTM Superduke, which was as mad as a box of frogs and turned me into a complete arse every time I rode it! I’ve now got another SV1000S and it does all I want it to – it’s comfortable, fast enough and has lots of potential for personal mods / improvements. They’re also bloody cheap!

flange
    Free Member

Snaps – how much you after for the SP1?

+1 on the blackbird – comfy, fast and almost fun.

Sounds to me like you want a v-twin of some sorts though. I had a Falco (half faired Mille) prior to the bird and it was great fun (if a bit unreliable). Much more character than a IL4 and didn’t feel quite as savage as the blade I had prior to it. Also, there’s a new RSV coming out so prices of the existing one will drop (they’re pretty cheap already though).

I know someone with a new R1 (not and ’09 though) and he has to rev the tits off it all the time – he says there isn’t a massive amount of mid-range. Although if you have a ZX6-r you’ll be used to that!

If you do distance stuff then a 1000 will be much easier to do it on

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr M-C has an R1 which he bought when he was 36ish! Prior to that he had a Kawasaki Ninja 636. He had always thought about an R1 but I think he had a few ideas like yourself. Would he ride it like a loon?

He decided in the end it was one of those things that you have to own once in a lifetime. He now loves his R1. He does (maybe .. I know he does) ride it like a loon but only when it’s safe … track days, dead of night etc. But then he’s been riding a motorbike since he was 16, has never owned a car and only passed his car test at the age of 30, so he is a very very competent rider.

In relation to comfort of the R1. We went up to Yorkshire (from Oxford) on the motorbikes last May and he had no problem with comfort… and it took a long time .. as I was on my SV and riding very girlie slow!!

I will get him to post more of his thoughts later when he gets home. But I think do it, have to do it once in a life time to get it out of your system but it will be up to you whether or not you ride it like a tw**!!!!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as Mr M-C, what she said. I find it easier to ride the R1 legally/sensibly than the ZX636C1H I had. The 600 only “worked” when you thrashed it (partly down to stiff kawasaki suspension) and was uncomfortable/difficult to ride slowly. Having ridden big twins and triples I was not used to having to change gear so often.

I find the R1 comfortable and easy to bimble on. Yes if I want to make progress it is ballistic, but so is a 600 if its revved to its limit. the difference is I can roll along in one gear if I wish (3rd is good from 30mph to ~130 so I’ve heard…)and still make swift, smooth progress.

I put 1000 miles a month on my 05R1 last year (until it snowed) and did a few 500 mile non-motorway days into mid wales etc. My experience is contrary to Tandemjeremy’s-It costs exactly as much to insure as my 600 did, has longer service intervals (yam @6000 compared to kaw @4000) and doesnt eat tyres any more than a smaller sports bike (I got less than 3000miles out of the rear on the C1 and even a 60hp NC30, and my current rear Pirelli is 3000 miles old and still going). I was 10mph quicker around Gerrards at Mallory on a trackday, not due to the power but due to the bike feeling so stable and planted. The bike oozes style and quality and is just a really nice place to be. as the hundreds Ive spent on bling over the winter will testify (CRG adjustable levers, Harris adjustable rearsets, Ti race cans).

If you havent guessed, I reckon you should go for it. I got it as a “one of those things you have to do” in my biking life and was prepared to change it after sampling the experience. I wont be changing it for a while as it is everything I wanted and hoped for and more.

snaps
    Free Member

flange – Its a 2001 model with the SP2 swingarm conversion, I nearly sold it last year for £2800 – whats your email, I’ll send some better pics.

conkerman
    Free Member

I am currently selling my 9R (hopefully going at the weekend). When I get another bike I reckon I will get a Fazer thou, somehting a bit more sensible.

There was an interesting aticle in Bike magazine this month about how 2005 was the best year for bike engines, as they have been affected by emissions regs since then. The 2005 GSX-R1000 is ridiculous, so increadibly torquey 🙂
    The quest for class leading peak power has caused an increase in peakiness.

The 2004-5 ZX10 is an utter animal, it just feels so harsh and raw (but in a good way). The blade was increadibly smooth and civilised (and probably faster, just didn’t feel it). Gixxer thou was somewhere inbetween. Haven’t ridden any R1’s newer than 2000 so can’t comment.

I have had a few V-twins in the past and agree that the SV1000, firestorm, Falco are cracking roadbikes. They usually need the suspension sorting though, once done they were a quicker road tool than the CBR600 (2002, its a while since I had mine :))

Ride as many as you can, and have fun 🙂 Have a pop on the 09 R1 the crossplane crank should make it feel a bit more “vee-fourish” I thing it will be the puppies danglies. There are no bad bikes anymore 🙂

Conks

gixer.john
    Free Member

I rode a K1 Gsxr600 from 2001 – 2005, chopped it in for a new (then) 2005 Fazer 1000. Best all round bike i’ve ever owned.
    Much comfier than any 600 or 750 that i’ve tried. Plenty of low down and mid range, which makes it a great roll on bike, no need to be dropping 3 gears to hoon by things. this doesn’t stop me having real fast road rides when i want. just means you get there less stressed, contorted etc.
    My missus thinks the seat is very comfortable and sits there wihout fidgeting or moaning.
    Insurance is reasonable.
    Top end is more than enough most of the time on UK roads – dont know if i really need to have a 186mph top end, near 170 is adequate 😯
    Suspension is soft which gives a floaty, slightly wobbly mid corner ride (makes you feel as if you are trying quite hard, without getting beyond your abilities)

I also have a v-rator 1000 and MT01 for slowish bimbling – she hates both of them 🙄

MrBlond
    Free Member

<snaps>

Why not post on a motorbike forum?

</snaps>

😉

snaps
    Free Member

I do

flange
    Free Member

Snaps – its wilkitcher at gmail dot com

sootyandjim
    Free Member

….you obviously havent ridden a thou m8…

Apart from the YZF1000 I may have mentioned I used to own?

mikee
    Free Member

try a modern thou
    make a thunderarse feel like a(heavy)600

conkerman
    Free Member

I’ve just been out for a spin on me 9R.

I can categorically say that the midrange piddles all over the (old model) Fazer 1000, these only really kick off at about 6krpm.

I love motorbikes me 🙂

markyd

Thanks folks. Popped into Jack Lilly’s on the way home to have a look at something a bit different (ST1050) and a modern 600 (675). Might try and pop back tomorrow for a test ride. Still think I’ll hunt out an 08 R1 for a test ride as well. Seem to be able to pick them up new for about £6.5K at the minute

mikee
    Free Member

st 1050 is a good bike bit vfr’yy not that that is a slight (?)
    but a good real roads bike
    kinda thinking about a 675 street tripple myself at the moment but i dont know
    might be a super duke or an fz1 ……or something

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here ride a 1000cc sportsbike?’ is closed to new replies.