Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone here own a Brennan JB7?
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

My finger is hovering over the ‘purchase’ button!

http://tinyurl.com/2ety7mp

hooja
    Free Member

do it….
    and then tell me if its worth it, ive been thinking about getting one for a while

DavidB
    Free Member

Tell me why it is better than a decent iPod dock or streaming from iTunes. Is it super quality or something.

TBH the adverts of a smug curly haired twonk turn me right off it

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Well, I already own an iPod dock (basic Cambridge Audio effort) which sits on my mini hifi.

Basically, I want to get rid of my CD collection (900 albums) and this bit of kit seems ideal. I can have them all on this rather than slowing my laptop down (and worrying about the music becoming inaccessible if it dies) or bothering with a conventional external hard drive.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I re-discovered that I loved Van Morrison. I mean how did that happen? I’d somehow forgotten that I loved Van Morrison.

they cite that as a reason to buy one, I’d cite that as a reason to not.

boxfish
    Free Member

I have one. Bought it around 18 months ago. I love it. I am neither smug nor curly haired.

I usually just play it on random. It constantly reminds me of some of the fantastic/awful/weird/forgotten stuff I’ve bought over the years.

sweepy
    Free Member

Most of that stuff wasnt forgotten, youd blocked it out 🙂
    Is there any reason it will be any more reliable than the hard drive on your pooter?

boxfish
    Free Member

Hard drives are, well, they are hard drives. I’m pretty sure they all have roughly the same failure rate. It’s a lot smaller than a PC though…

I don’t listen to music on the move so an iPod or similar doesn’t interest me. What it does give me is a quick, simple way of ripping my latest CD purchase.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I like lifestyle product adverts on the backs of magazines. They fill me with an enormous sense of well being.

edhornby

they’re a lot of money, an ipod or an archos could be bought for a lot less with the same functionality, or use your computer

boxfish
    Free Member

Ipods & JB7s do not have the same functionality other than the fact that they both play MP3s.

NZCol

Buy a NAS with a uPnp player and rip everything as wav files with tags. Your NAS should be raid 1 so it’s backed up. Then get something to play from uPnp. That thing has a hdd same as every other hdd so is likely to fail.

Stainypants

my father in law has one and he loves it. Hes too old and a technophobe to use a ipod and ipod dock. He was able to rip his CD collection to it without a computer and was all tagged something he could never have done on a PC.

I agree that if you have your music on a PC or are comfortable with ripping on PC an ipod and a good dock offers more flexibilty than the brennan but it don’t think its aimed at that market.

Two other things you’ll need to update the database if you are buying new CDs.

I think you’d want to back it up to an external hard drive anyhow 900 cds will take a long time to rip.

BigJohn

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco[/video]

What do I do with my old 78s?

boxfish
    Free Member

Backing up to an external HDD with the JB7 is easy. I left mine to run overnight (600 CDs worth of data). You don’t necessarily need to update the database – it’s just a convenient way of avoiding typing in the artist/album/track details for new releases.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i’ve often thought about the brennan but the adverts on the back of the Sunday times puts me off it. Would like to hear one.

stever
    Free Member

I asked a similar question a while back. The consensus seemed to be:
    a) Mr Brennan was a bit funny looking and advertised in the wrong place
    b) you could do the same thing with an iPod, a DG-VAX, some solder and a redundant array of disks
    c) people who’d listened to one were thin on the ground.

iainc

stever – any chance you could drop me a mail on an unrelated issue – you gave me some helpful advice on hypermobile knees last yr and I’m looking for some more info

Bravohotel – apologies for hijack

raymond123
    Free Member

i will say go on and click the button. The jb7 works as a backup device as well as a cd, and mp3 player, not to mention the fact it can record vinyl’s on to it as well. i have had one for over a year and it has served its purpose quite effectively, and i have been able to store all my cds in the loft which has created a lot of space in my living room.

hope this helps

DrP

Hmm… I bet that’s it and the OP has just clicked….!

DrP

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I just use a net book (£150) bought purely for playing i-tunes through my hifi, controlled using “remote” on a free ipod touch.

Although I have now done away with the hifi and use a wifi (not bluetooth) Bose Soundlink, which means I can move the music around the house wirelessly, as it is re-chargeable. I’ve shared itunes with other computers in the household so have access to tons of noise (thanks 22yr old metal loving son!), all still controlled remotely via ipod.

The advantage is that wifey now uses the netbook for her emails etc, so it has more than one use.

All backed up as itunes is copied to each ‘pooter, plus a Buffalo HDD.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Also Mr Brennan appears to have had a haircut during the nine months since this thread started and now looks a lot smarter in his adverts.

🙂

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Just spotted this thread revival!

Still haven’t bought one, but my parents seem to want one. Somewhat bizarre given that they have all of 15 CDs, but at least it would give me a chance to see what they’re like.

sweepy
    Free Member

Not entirely related, but my mate had a portable speaker from this company. It wasn’t cheap, and it was shite. Horrible buzzing noise.

bobble
    Free Member

The Brennan is expensive for what it is, and not easy to navigate around. The database (CDDB)is crap. It has some obscure stuff, omits some common stuff. Lots of spelling errors, too. Quite nice build, runs cool if input to my Mission Cyrus, bypassing its inbuilt amp (don’t even know what that sounds like). Display has bright and dim, nothing in between. Have 135 albums recorded, with no compression, lots of capacity left.
    Unit very compact and discreet, but laptop type switch mode power supply unit causes radio interference in other rooms. May be an antenna problem rather than the PSU. It’s a convenient way to store a lot of music in one unit, so may appeal if the price isn’t a big issue.

stever
    Free Member

Good information on the haircut though.

cinnamon_girl

Guys … if Jools think it’s good then it must be. 🙂

How could anyone forget they loved Van the Man? 😕

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here own a Brennan JB7?’ is closed to new replies.