Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone here off of the army?
  • wallop

I’m not, but I’ve just come back from a two day leadership course at RMA Sandhurst and it was bloody amazing!

siwhite
    Free Member

I spent 18 months at RMAS – about 90% of the Commissioning Course and a good dose of medical rehab. Nice spot, but rather bleak after five weeks of not being permitted outside the wire.

It has been described as a minor public school where the CCF has got out of hand.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Off of?

scotroutes

cloudnine – Member
    Off of?

They’re not after recruits because of their brain power.

wallop

It’s called humour or slang. I don’t actually talk like that 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t actually talk like that

One certainly hopes that no one at Sandhurst does, as well!

😀

wallop

😆

All joking aside, it was an amazing experience. Such an inspirational place. Barossa looked pretty nice for biking too.

mefty
    Free Member

Was it someone using the facility or a Forces based course?

yunki
    Free Member

Heh! I nearly went Sandhurst CFH..

Changed my mind at the last minute though
    True fact

wallop

It’s a forces inspired course facilitated by ex army people.

siwhite
    Free Member

They’re not after recruits because of their brain power.

They are at Sandhurst…

siwhite
    Free Member

Barossa looked pretty nice for biking too.

Backs right onto Swinley – the terrain is very similar.

slowoldman

Is it true you are taught how to peel an orange with a knife and fork?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it true you are taught how to peel an orange with a knife and fork?

It’s a lime in the Boathouse.

mefty
    Free Member

The Forces are pretty good and innovative at education and training. Some of their advances have informed the approach of civil society.

budgierider67

It’s a lime in the Boathouse.

What colour is it?

maccyb
    Free Member

What colour is it?

Good film but it always bugs me that Sean Bean doesn’t say ‘You mean “Heh-re-ford”, you damn Yank” when De Niro calls it ‘Heerford’… could have got away with it (for a bit longer, at least)

chiefgrooveguru

Almost… Went to their 6th form college, after which you were technically contracted to go on the commissioning course either before or after your degree. Fortunately I discovered before too late, that although I was good at giving orders I was very bad at following them if I disagreed with them. Was ejected post A-levels but pre passing out parade and went to a normal uni instead. Phew!

Was a fun two years though, in the most unique of settings:

(Near the bottom left of the picture is the underground ballroom…)

jambalaya
    Free Member

They’re not after recruits because of their brain power

I’ve met plenty of very smart people who have been or are currently serving Her Majesty.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was off of the army, Wallop!
    Never an occifer though. I have never, ever met one with a west country accent.
    I did enjoy it, if you want the whole experience get a course at Lympestone. They’ll show you how it’s done.
    The difference between the blokes in the army and the marines is nowhere near as big as they would have you believe. The RM officers, however were/are truly excellent. So much more down to earth and switched on than some of the hooray ****s we had to endure.

Sundayjumper

Not in the Army, but I work for the Army, and additionally in a quirk of fate my house is in earshot of the RMAS ranges when the wind’s the wrong/right direction.

To add, the folk I work with are current & ex, and are unerringly excellent people.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No, but I did 12yrs with them.
    Saw some nice places.
    And many more, not so nice.

Gunz
    Free Member

No, Dartmouth thank you very much.

Maltloaf

I completed the commissioning course in 2004/5. It was a very hard year, but I still look back on the time very fondly. Wednesday afternoons were sports afternoon. I spent many an hour around barossa on my single speed. There are some cracking trails in there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

wallop – Member 
    Barossa looked pretty nice for biking too.

Out of bounds by order of Natural England, at least anything off the main paths.

ulysse
    Free Member

I’ve met plenty of very smart people who have been or are currently serving Her Majesty

Not smart enough to have any morality over being trained to kill on demand without question?

wrecker
    Free Member

Not smart enough to realise that following orders from the politicians which ****s elect is a silly idea for sure. I never was.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh. Here we go.

cinnamon_girl

Used to ride gee gees there, taught by an Army instructor. Also went to a passing out parade which was an experience.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Not smart enough to have any morality over being trained to kill on demand without question?

…or smart enough to know that sometimes, some people need to be prepared to put aside their own needs and wants and to maybe even give their own life to help others?

Say what you want about the politicans you can leave the people in the forces alone.

Some of our countrymen are about to deploy to South Sudan as part of UNMISS. They are heading there to build a hospital – but I suppose in your world view it’s only so that autism enabling vaccines could be administered 🙄

Cougar

Off of?

It’s off of that Scott Mills bloke on’t wireless.

Alpha1653

So much more down to earth and switched on than some of the hooray ****s we had to endure.

That’s because the booties don’t have the Cav / Guards / RHA to deal with! Oh, and hello from a Bristolian/West Country officer 😀

Anyway, RMAS is a fantastic place and I consider it a privilege to have been there. Don’t let the looks deceive you through, it’s bloody hard work for the vast majority of the time!

Alpha1653

Really? I can assure you that everyone that goes through RMAS is actively encouraged to consider the morality of taking another’s life far more so than most people in civvy street.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s because the booties don’t have the Cav / Guards / RHA to deal with! Oh, and hello from a Bristolian/West Country officer

Hello!
    Rifles by chance or corps?

beamers

Yup. Commissioning Course 981 for me. A very challenging and rewarding place to spend 12 months.

siwhite
    Free Member

Yup. Commissioning Course 981 for me. A very challenging and rewarding place to spend 12 months.

I was on TACC 988 – then back for more on 003 for the Regular Course. We’d have been there at the same time…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here off of the army?’ is closed to new replies.