Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Anyone here lost their driving license?
  • iolo
    Free Member

I think I’m about to lose mine.
    Living in a reasonably remote part of wild Wales for part of the year it’s going to be a pain in the arse.
    Buses are one every two hours and the train station in over 10 miles away.
    Is anyone in a similar situation who can say it’s not so bad?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

As you’re posting on STW I presume you have a bike? 😉

hardupdad
    Free Member

How you losing it?

demonracer

I have a friend who lost his for 18 months, we live in Norfolk so it was an inconvenience for him but the truth is he deserved to loose it and knew he did … He coped though and never seemed that put out about it.

lightman
    Free Member

What did you do to lose it?
    There are lots of storys of people having 30+ points on their licence and still getting to keep it if they claim hardship/chance of job loss!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/36-points-and-still-on-the-road

iolo
    Free Member

Medical reasons. Same reason I can’t really ride a bike too far.

project
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

Yup. Lost mine last year.

Turned up down the back of the sofa.

Edit:

project:

Drink driving, tough, no excuses ever.
    Points top up, should have been more observant,

Guess there was a third option, eh, project.

sofatester
    Free Member

Why do you think you’re about to lose it?

(Ignore – Beaten to it)

bearnecessities

No idea fella, but how come it’s only being lost for a year on medical grounds?

Edit: project on a mega-edit! Also, I suspect only you know the impact. It would bollox my job up, but the planet would live longer. Your situation may be different.

iolo
    Free Member

I had to declare my illness to DVLA or get a silly fine and invalid insurance.

EDIT: I have no idea how long I might lose it for.

jota180
    Free Member

project – Member
    Drink driving, tough, no excuses ever.

Points top up, should have been more observant,

🙄

project
    Free Member

Epilepsy, you usually need to prove youve been free of fits for a set time.

Other medical incidents may also be in place.

bearnecessities

Edit: I really need to type faster! I have nothing really that useful to add, but hopefully you will be able to appreciate some of the benefits of not running a car/being stuck in traffic/having egr flux capacitor dmf valves pop at £2k to fix 😀

teethgrinder

Buses once every two hours isn’t as bad as some places and taxi to station when needed?

Use internet shopping and delivery when needed, mothball the car and use the money that you would have been spending on fuel, tax, insurance and maintenance for the taxis.

Don’t know the specifics of the medical reasons, but the DVLA don’t usually take these things lightly, so what ever it is I hope you come back from it and get the licence back.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Lost mine years ago. Lived in a city and didn’t really need it so it wasn’t a problem. In fact, it saved me loads of money, and associated ballache of car ownership. It was also good for me in lots of other ways; it taught me to not be such a lazy fat slob (I would’ve driven up the stairs to bed if I could). It got me into cycling and thus became a healthier person. And once I got my license back (I didn’t bother for about 7 years) I was a much better, more considerate, chilled out driver. I’d recommend a period of non-driving for all drivers. Great for perspective and consideration for other road users.

lazybike
    Free Member

I lost mine, back in 89, totting up, got a 6mth ban went to work as a cycle courier…loved it. Sorry not much use if you live somewhere rural.

project
    Free Member

Notifiable conditions are anything that could affect your ability to drive safely. They can include:
    epilepsy
    strokes
    other neurological and mental health conditions
    physical disabilities
    visual impairments

Houns

My Nan had a mini stroke that (unbeknownst that it would be temporary) left her blind in one eye. Let the DVLA know and they said it wasn’t an issue at all.

All may not be lost just yet

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve been blessed with Ultra rapid cycling Bipolar amongst other things.
    Let’s hope it’s not an issue.

bencooper
    Free Member

Electric bike?

northernmatt

Hours, I lost the sight in one eye (permanent though) rang the DVLA a they just said nah you’ll be fine, it’ll just take you a while to get used to the lack of depth perception.

bearnecessities

More importantly, it’s “licence”. The noun is licence and verb is license .

I appreciate this is of bollox all importance, but I have my own medical condition which means I have to correct this!

Spin
    Free Member

Project in “I thought this was your regular STW driving thread” shocker.

But seriously, how will the forum cope with this thread? It’s like a glitch in the matrix, a thread about driving with no obvious moral high ground to head for.

Help me jebus.

br
    Free Member

It’s alright for city folk to be car-less, but living in the sticks would be a total bu99er for me.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d buy a horse.

Spin
    Free Member

how will the forum cope with this thread?

More importantly, it’s “licence”. The noun is licence and verb is license .

Thank god, normal service is resumed. We’re just going to criticise spelling and grammar.

(your speedy spelling edit is also noted bearnecessities) 😉

iolo
    Free Member

I have no idea what a noun or verb are let alone spell license correctly.
    Welsh is far easier.

MrNice
    Free Member

iolo – is it hugely offensive to make a smartarse comment about how you don’t need to drive if you’re an ultra rapid cyclist?

NB. Please tell me to **** right off if I’ve crossed the line – you have 15 minutes to allow me to pretend it never happened 😉

garage-dweller

Iolo – if you are concerned speak to your medical professional(s) about it. For some conditions they may be asked to report to dvla and therefore might have previous experience of dvla dealings. I got tested for sleep apnoea about 3-4 years ago (also a notifiable condition). I drive a lot for work so was a big concern for me. The consultants had a good understanding of how dvla approached the condition and when /where they would expect/suggest a suspension of licence. Turned out no sleep apnoea for me so never tested the system first hand.

Edit: of course you may have already done this in which case I am as helpful as the proverbial chocolate teapot.

chip
    Free Member

I have never lost my licence, but was rendered incapable of driving for 3 months due to injury and it was a royal pain in the arris. And that was using London transport.

bearnecessities

No idea what you’re talking about, Spix. 🙂

Iolo, sorry, I was only being a nob. Good luck and make the best of it, ‘cos there are definitely benefits to not driving!

MrNice
    Free Member

while waiting to see if I also need to apologize for being a nob….

You’ve not said if this is an illness or medication issue but garage-dweller is right that the people treating you will have seen others in the same situation and can give better advice than the rest of us.

iolo
    Free Member

Mr Nice, no apology needed 😀 I wish I was an ultra rapid cyclist but then again don’t we all.

Jamie
    Free Member

iolo – is it hugely offensive to make a smartarse comment about how you don’t need to drive if you’re an ultra rapid cyclist?

While amusing, it doesn’t seem like the sort of thing Mr Nice should be saying.

allthepies
    Free Member

I know someone who has has a couple of “episodes”, some kind of fit*. Each time he had his licence suspended for 12 months.

* not while driving, they were at night time I believe.

MrNice
    Free Member

While amusing, it doesn’t seem like the sort of thing Mr Nice should be saying.

Don’t tell anyone, but it’s not my real name…

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t tell anyone, but it’s not my real name…

Waaaaah!?!!

cinnamon_girl

I think some folk need to take a step back.

iolo – I know from your posts that you been dealt a bad hand and do hope that you can find a way of managing day to day stuff without wheels.

bigdean

Didn’t loose my licence but was asked not to drive for medical reasons for 6 months. Bit of a pain but rode to work 4 days out of 5 and got a lift the other day to take clean clothes in dirty ones home.

I’d say it was worse fof the mrs as she had to drive everywhere.

There is now tracking apps to keep “an eye on you” glympse works well and is free.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here lost their driving license?’ is closed to new replies.