Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone here know the building regs? (kitchen content)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are there any rules about splashbacks behind the cooker? Someones burnt the wooden panneling behind ours (rented house) and as usual the landlords all over it like a rash on a teenagers dangly bits.

I’ve already got my alibi sorted, was away at a wedding all weekend.

However seems a bit odd that a bit of painted wood (which obviously burns very well) is behind the cooker (gas if it makes a diffence)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

IIRC building regs are dictated by when the work was done, so looking at current ones would be pretty meaningless.

That said – I think current rules may state it has to be a non-combustable splashback? Vague memories of something from when we did our kitchen in the house before the last one. Could be very wrong though (my copy of the regs hasn’t been unpacked yet!)

midlifecrashes

Regs say 300mm !!!!! clearance to wall, which can be reduced to 50mm if non-combustible. I’m assuming the burn/scorch is at hob level, not heat from oven/grill level. So no you don’t need a splashback if a foot of clearance is there, but if the cooker is close to the wall you do.

Edit:Oh and nearest thing above hob to be 760mm above

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cooker is about 2″ from the wall, and theres cupboard units that overlap the satain less part of the hob, arround 300mm above it. Extractor hood is 550mm to 600mm above the worktop (athough they arent directly above a burner, It’s very close though). Does wood count as non-combustible is it fire retardent?

Kitchen isn’t very old, I’m guessing the landlord may have been the one to install it, might phrase that carefully and question him.

Burn mark was presumably a frying pan catching fire on the back ring, burn mark is about 6″x8″. More “scorched” than “burnt”.

Anyone got a link to any sites with this info?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here know the building regs? (kitchen content)’ is closed to new replies.