Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • anyone here know anything about time trialing ? specifically 24hr TT`s
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I want to enter the uk 24 hour TTs (mersey roads? )

how do i go about it . I cant find a shread of information or an entry form online only reports to previous events

is it an invitation only event or is it just plain aukward ?

any help appreciated !

terrahawk
    Free Member

I'm also interested.

jedi

rttc handbook will habve details

colnagokid

+1 RTTC "the bible", prepare to fall asleep just reading it, let alone riding anything 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

tony – george found it … i was looking for the wrong thing being a fanny !

15 quid to enter … cheap at twice the price – end of july

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Try http://www.ctt.org.uk click on events,filter by distance, 24 hour, Nat 24hr, Mersey Road Club 24.7.10 is the only event for this year. I did the National 12 hour last year, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, same event that Wilco did 302miles, I managed 225.52. Very good atmosphere and constant encouragement from marshals and other competitors support, you will love it 😀
    Edit;damn slow typing!!!!!!
    p.s they never get a full field so as long as you enter in time, you'll be fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just interested to see a comparison between on and off road really …

always enjoyed a bit of TTing – 10s and 25s to date

just got my hands on a full on carbon PX stealth – gonna ride a few audaxes on it to get used to position.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

i'd reccommend lots of long distance flattish riding s you need to get used to being in an aero position for a long time rather than in and out of the saddle, a few 100 mile TT's in June would also help but really there's no subsititute for lots of hours in the saddle. Some clip on tri bars will make a big difference as well.

jedi

the words 24 hour and race should not appear in the same sentence! ever

trail_rat
    Free Member

pistonbroke i have 1600kms of audaxing planned the 4 weeks straight after 10 under the ben – 1 of them i need to use a road bike as its has 4800m climbing but the rest i should be able to ride this !

not overly aggressive imo – will need a bit of setting up for me though haah

Im fairly used to aero i use clip on t2++s for alot of my riding when theres **** headwinds as i tend to ride alone

terrahawk
    Free Member

dare I ask about your WEIRD SADDLE????

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont know … look up itm alamos saddle for wierd saddles btw …

ill give that a punt but the saddle was not my choice – at a guess it alieviates pressure when your sat on the rivet i guess

I bought it used (but unused) if you know what i mean

riding ye olde OCR tomorrow though in an 18mile HTT

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

a full on carbon PX stealth – gonna ride a few audaxes on it to get used to position.

Erm… won't that mean riding for hours @ c.13mph? Seems a bit silly on a TT bike. Riding at pace in aero position is entirely different to pootling round in the aero position…

Hat's off though. Anyone who enters the 24h has my full respect.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Trail_rat. Audaxes you say. 1600km you say. 24hr bike races you say. Sounds like a plan. Don't know where I'll get 4800m of ascent in Lincoln though. 🙁

Also, you're the guy that won Strathpuffer Solo SS category are you not?

schmiken

dare I ask about your WEIRD SADDLE????

And the almost unbelievably high bar position?

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Oh and:

I cant find a shread of information

If you want some first-hand info, try and track down Nik Gardiner. He was Nat 24hr Champ several times over and is very approachable. Based in Bath and rides for John's Bikes (or used to. Might be Bath CC)

trail_rat
    Free Member

probably how the last guy who owned it was comfortable on it ….not my photos of it im afraid – due to arrive next friday ! bars although ugly might be ideal for a 24 giving multiple hand positions – but i think they need cutting for aesthetics – stem flipped and the Tri bars flatter ! – but ill see what works for me when i get riding it !

re audaxing – complete misconception – all audaxing ive done has been at 20mph (the upper threshold on the time limits) i have even found my self sat at check points waiting for the alloted time to pass before i move on. snow roads 300k/4800m climb was done at 30kph – the deeside loop 200k was done at over 30kph. only time i came close to riding at 13 mph in an audax was riding my fixie 250k to kinloch rannoch and back – but im fully aware that a TT is a completely difffernt beast.

aye phoenix thats me – and terrahawk above is the guy that came 3rd in the real gears catagory !

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

but im fully aware that a TT is a completely difffernt beast.

Jolly good 😀 Ensure you do as many 50 and 100mile TTs as you can before you have a stab at the 24hr.

And, yeah, turn that stem upside-down and lose the spacers 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

did an 18 mile HTT today – felt good – first one of the season and definantly plenty gas in the tank at the finsih – spun out 53:11 @ 130rpm on the return leg with the tail wind today – dont have a speedo on the bike – just cadence as i work to cadence and HR. just worked out that 53:11 at 120rpm on sheldons calc is 72.7kph ….

48.30 mins , winner did 43/44

Riding that – with some century TT bars upfront gotta be some improvement on the stealth !

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

trail_rat. that's just taking the piss mate. not so sure i'd fancy doing 50mph on a bike.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    I want to enter the uk 24 hour TTs (mersey roads? )

TT's especially long ones are a great way to get beat by a pensioner 😉

as 24's are rare these days I'd contact the organiser to check whether they will take your entry.

IIRC you need to be a member of a CTT affiliated club as well

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno if we are ctt affiliated but found out today one of our guys did it on a tandem last years for his old club . Will speak to him about it

Will phone the organiser and see how i enter

trail_rat
    Free Member

seems easy enough , we just enter says the guy – no special requirements. doesnt expect to be bowled over with entrys

However i did 200k on my TT bike over the weekend and it seems ill need to grow some upperbody.

Felt positively battered in the upper body on monday morning.

got 300k planned for the weekend after this on it so will see how that goes – meanwhile – press ups and plank

njee20
    Free Member

And drugs, lots of drugs!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Good luck, hust to mention as I don't think it has been said yet, to enter an 'open' time trial you need to be a member of a CTT affiliated cycling club.
    entry form can be found on the CTT handbook.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cyclistm – seems being a member of an SC affiliated club is enough as we are from scotland

Njee – any reccomendations ? 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘anyone here know anything about time trialing ? specifically 24hr TT`s’ is closed to new replies.