Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • anyone here joined a gym???
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

I was a member of a gym for the past few years but it was bloody expensive and i sacked it back in march as the weather was getting better and i was using my bike more and more, so through the "summer" ive kept any weight off by getting out on the bike atleast 3 times a week and having a great time in the process.

but now the weather has been proper crap for 2 weeks solid and ive been out once!!! im begining to think it may be time to join up again (although maybe a cheaper one this time)

uplink
    Free Member

try running – the weather rarely bothers you

gusamc
    Free Member

we run our own keep fit class

£2 per hour, £15 for 10 weeks. (Hire a badders court and 50p per person, std leisure centre charges.)
    We've accumulated – skipping ropes, stretch bands, boxing gloves/pads, music box….

nickname
    Free Member

I much prefer running in the rain and wind – just try it!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I used to go the gym a lot but running and a 30 mile a day commute works out betterer and cheaper 😀

Olly
    Free Member

buy a rain coat?

nay, a cycling poncho!!

i find the hardest bit is getting out the door.
    i dont mind riding in the rain once im out, its just getting out.

going out in a group goes a long way to solving that though. round up some riding cronies in the same position, set a day or 2 a week and get each other out?
    or get out one day, and go to a badminton court on another.
    badminton rocks

AlasdairMc

I'm a member of the Edinburgh Leisure (i.e. council) gyms, but that's so I can climb as part of the price. I wouldn't be a member otherwise as I can swim for free at the pool I coach at and ride and run outdoors anyway.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

yeah i work for glasgow city council so i get a discount with the council gyms here but i dont live in the city boundry or anywhere close to a glasgow gym

was thinking a road running and/or road riding when the weathers crap

think i might just have to invest in some wet weather gear

D0NK

Getting out the door is the biggest obstacle (much like going to the gym i expect) once your out you'll normally love it and stay out longer than you expected.
    But if you really can't face it go running as suggested, weather doesn't really matter and you won't be out long anyway. Don't join a gym save the money for bike bits (or paying for transmission/brake pads if you ride in the wet) oh and even if you have money to burn still don't join the gym send it me instead 🙂

porterclough
    Free Member

Run to expensive gym you didn't join. Turn round, run home. Shower, get changed. Spend money you saved in pub.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

would consider commuting by bike rather than paying the 80 quid a month to bloody scot rail, if anyone can suggest a route from Hamilton to Glasgow city centre

scaning the commuting route section on bikradar just now

the_lecht_rocks

it's a necessary evil for me i'm afraid.

doc_blues
    Free Member

run/cycle/circuits plus one of these for core and instead of weights….
    http://www.trxfitness.co.uk/

expensive investment initially, but then think about what a gym costs per year…and from what I have heard a few gym companies have started installing these in their gyms anyway…

D0NK

**** me! over a tonne for a bit of rope?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usualy join one over the winter, swim for an hour solid 3-4 times a week to keep the fat off and build up some upper body strength, spinning for cardio and legs 1-2 times a week, rowing machines 40min 3 times a week for a bit of variety. Weights for 3-4 months in the spring whilst doing 2 longer road rides a week instead of spinning.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I want that rain poncho!!

I'm a member of Virgin. It is pricey, but if you use it enough, its okay. I currently do weights x 2 a week, spinning x 2, and run from the gym as well. In winter I use it more than that. Sadly not had much of a summer, so have kept using it pretty much the same amount. Plus there's the nice things like steam rooms and saunas as well. Its also really close to me which is handy. There's also the added bonus of being able to try other stuff like yoga and punch. Spinning is a great alternative to turbo training when the weathers bad.

Previously I was a member at edinburgh leisure.

I don't think I could give up my membership now, been going to a gym for around the last 8 years, and the benefits from being stronger from weights have only helped my riding.

A cheaper / alternative option might be to try out some of the british military fitness classes. IMO, they look really good and I've been meaning to take up their offer of a free class to try it out for ages. But downside is its outdoors – but maybe knowing you've paid and others will be there might help?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I use the council run leisure centre. It has a reasonable gym, badders, squash and really fun evening fitness classes – circuits, boxercise, combat body sculpt. £4 a shot or you can pay up to 3 months in advance where you are financially ahead if you go twice a week.

I like it and I've made lots of friends through the classes.

darrell
    Free Member

the one i go to costs 20quid a month. i use it for spinning classes in the winter and weight training all year round.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

ok how about this plan

1 buy some wet weather gear so i can still go riding
    2 buy a turbo trainer for those really wet days
    3 join local council gym but only on cheapo swiming membership and swim twice a week

yoshimi

Yep i used to, but hardly used it and it cost a bomb so sacxked it off. Recently had the urge to join again, went for a 'tester' day and realised just how crap these places actually are. Save your money, you wont go anyway:)

hora
    Free Member

Cancelled my membership- Will restart it in Oct-April.

Shandy
    Free Member

Crap gyms give you crap results. I go to a uni place that is a centre of sporting excellence. Loads of different equipment, free weights and exercise classes, and a good pool, reasonably cheap.

Unless you have something you want/need to work on you won't make the most of it. If you're just looking to keep fit you could try another sport that compliments the biking but is a bit different.

Keva
    Free Member

A cheaper / alternative option might be to try out some of the british military fitness classes. IMO, they look really good and I've been meaning to take up their offer of a free class to try it out for ages. But downside is its outdoors – but maybe knowing you've paid and others will be there might help?

I used to do BMF… it is impossible to get as fit as BMF will get you by going to the gym. I gave up because i couldn't keep it up and do all the mountain biking I wanted to at the same time. BMF charge for 3 classes per week so if you don't go it gets expensive. I now use their training techniques on my own as and when I feel like it… but still probably only work half as hard – which is still twice as hard as going to gym. Go to a free class, if you like getting really out of breath Im sure you'll love it.

Kev

Shandy
    Free Member

Along the same lines as BMF, these guys do a good line in self-flagellation.

Gym Jones

zaskar
    Free Member

The same here-had the gym membership which was lush and £40 a month.

Nice atmosphere but 10 miles from my new place of residence.

Just got back on the roadbike and as long as I have mudguards I'm happy.

Can you commute? or is too far?
    -you could buy some wet weather gear even for training.

Running is a good fitness builder but hard on joints but get proper running shoes after your gait analysis etc. Still you'll need wet weather gear.

I'm already prep'd a roadbike for winter with guards and ordered my winter clothing for the commutes and training.

I don't mind the cold but rain sucks.

Can you join a gym for winter only?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘anyone here joined a gym???’ is closed to new replies.