Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone here from Swindon RC?
  • marvincooper

I’m sure a few folks on here are members. I’d like to join the Sunday ride this weekend – I’ve emailed the club through their website but not had a reply yet. Anyone know if the Sunday ride actually happens every week from the Town Hall and if so can I just turn up and join in?

Cheers
    Allan

Edric64
    Free Member
    metal_leg
    Free Member

Its a regular ride but be prepared – those are the brutal 70-80 mile rides done at a brisk 20mph average pace.

marvincooper

Hmm that might be a bit much, could go and hang on for grim death I suppose! They say on their website that there is a shorter option, no?

Have just been googling and might try hooking up with the Swindon Wheelers instead, anyone know them?

metal_leg
    Free Member

Sorry, been away from ‘tinternet fora couple of days.

Swindon RC do have a shorter option on a Sunday, both rides start out together and the shorter ride heads back earlier. As numbers drop in the winter, its usually a core number of people who show up for the full length ride and the shorter ride doesnt happen.

Your best bet for Swindon RC is to join the 9.30am Saturday morning ride – there is a “development” group and a “fast” group both riding out of Swindon and meeting up in a cafe in Cirencester before returning. Use this to calibrate the pace. If its too slow, there is a 50 miler on a Saturday morning which going out to Chedworth and back which is done a a brisker pace.

Its all on the website.

DavidB
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Sunday ride actually happens every week from the Town Hall and if so can I just turn up and join in?

Yes to both.

20mph is an exaggeration, it is normally 17-18mph and they wait if you are dropped. This time of year it is a bit more sedate.

BUT don’t even think about it of you don’t have full length mudguards

marvincooper

I got an email back from Swindon RC now saying they don’t want me to just turn up and join the Sunday ride. Group riding etiquette and lack of experience in a group etc. Fair enough. I did the slow ride to Cirencester a couple of years ago on my mountain bike which was OK, I kept up easily enough at any rate.

metal_leg – I must have missed the 50 miler to Chedworth, that sounds more like it.

DavidB – I thought it might be an exaggeration, but you never know! I’d average about 15-16mph on my own for 70-80 miles so I should think 17-18 in a group would be do-able. And I wouldn’t be worried about getting dropped, I kind of expect although “not getting dropped” was going to be my aim.

Anyhow in the end I went out with MBSwindon – much steadier pace! Good though and I’ve joined up.

Might give the Swindon RC Saturday ride another go when I get the time as I would like a road group to ride with from time to time.

Thanks for the help folks
    Allan

eskay

So did Swindon RC give you options on how you could become ‘competent’ enough to ride with them?

Edit: just read the mention of Saturday morning development rides!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here from Swindon RC?’ is closed to new replies.