Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone here do Woburn night rides?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I work about 5 mins away from Woburn sands and have just started a new job which actually has somewhat normal hours for a change! Unfortunately this means I end up getting stuck in rush hour traffic on the way home. I’d rather drive 5 mins down the road and get out on my bike for an hour whilst the traffic dies down a bit. So does anyone regularly do night rides at woburn? Don’t mind going by myself but I only ever ride the dh stuff and would rather give the xc single track a go at night, just have no idea where to start.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’d be happy to show you around, we ride there Tuesday and Thursday nights.

We generally do an hour to an hour and a half, medium paced, 10-15 miles usually.

Won’t be going again for a couple of weeks though.

Any good to you?

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah sounds good to me, a few weeks will give me time to sort out a second light as well as I’ve only got the one head mounted p7 at the minute. What kinda time do you start?

maxtorque

Have you never done the XC stuff at woburn then tom?

bigbloke
    Free Member

These guys ride locally in Beds/Herts with regular Weds night rides and weekend rides including Woburn/Chicksands/Hills near Barton/Local XC stuff or further afield…….

http://www.sillygrin.co.uk

flap_jack
    Free Member

i think the Phil Corley shop lead night rides. Go see them. Go today, actually, as they’ve a big event on at the shop.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I work in MK, so usually around 5ish Tom.

maxtorque

I’m always amazed at how few people you meet on the trails, considering there is a town of 230,000 people less than 1km away! In the week, you can have the backwoods completely to onesself!

(probably because there is no good riding to be had, so stay away everyone, you wouldn’t like it…………. 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Have you never done the XC stuff at woburn then tom?

I’ve had a quick ride around some of the single track in the woods behind the dh bit, and across the road, but can’t have explored much more than a mile or two of it. I pretty much only ride dh so always get too tempted to ride that even when I go with my best intentions to get some miles in 😛

Cb that’d be perfect, I work in Kingston and finish at about 5-5:30 on an early shift. Wouldn’t mind tagging along with you guys so long as you don’t mind a singlespeeder on 26″ wheels in your group ha

maxtorque

I think you’ll enjoy some of the trails in the backwoods then Tom! They are a bit slippy at the moment (slippier than the DH side which is sandier) but that’s all part of the fun. And a few of them are fairly technical in places 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep, I really like the bits I’ve found, just struggling to fit them all together into a decent loop.

marko75
    Free Member

Hi there – try contacting someone from ‘Cyclone’ – very friendly bunch.

Facebook site

As before – the place is quite a warren and its easy to get lost – but there are some very nice trails 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

We’re all on 26ers Tom, you’ll fit right in! 🙂 we do ride geared though, so hopefully you’re not too irritatingly fit..! 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind an early ride over there as long as you don’t mind an oldfart tagging along.
    I’m in Leighton Buzzard, so could be there for 5.30. Oh and I’m pure XC so no funny business.
    I think most groups start a bit later, I know the Buzzard start at 7pm.
    Funny I haven’t been for ages, but spent the best part of a decade there most days before getting back into road racing.

_tom_
    Free Member

We’re all on 26ers Tom, you’ll fit right in! we do ride geared though, so hopefully you’re not too irritatingly fit..!

haha I wouldn’t go that far. I’m just about average on a road bike and haven’t ridden any miles on a mtb for ages, just get too tempted to do DH all the time 😛 and my hardtail is a small jumpy type so it may well be the other way round with me slowing you lot down.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was bloody freezing out on the road tonight so I dived onto the Grand Union and tanked over to the Brickhills and into the woods. Great going, icy firm and a full moon. Forgot how good it was over there. You get out?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here do Woburn night rides?’ is closed to new replies.