Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone here commute to Manchester on the M56?
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

I have a possible job opportunity at Trafford Park, Manchester. I’d prefer to stay somewhere in N Cheshire near the M56 corridor. Would a commute on the M56 and M60 be bearable/occasional nightmare/total nightmare?

Bregante

What time would you start work? I work with quite a few people from the Wirral and beyond who commute every day but they start at 7.00 am. 8 or 9 would be a mare I reckon.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I work in Trafford Park and would drive in or out of Manc to Hale the days that I needed to pick up the kids from nursery. Most days it was fine in both directions, but occasionally you’d get a bad jam. I only did it maybe 20 days per year so not really a statistically representative sample.

Also I think some of the worse jams were actually before the Hale Junction. So I wouldn’t have seen them.

EDIT>> This was at standard o’clock, not super early or late. Getting to work around 8:30 or 9 ish.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uponthedowns
    Free Member

Would be getting in 8:30 to 09:00

samuri
    Free Member

Busy bits will be along the airport section of the M56 and the M56/M60 junction. Around trafford it’ll be real busy too. It will be busy but nothing like actually driving into Manchester. Probably bareable if you’re used to commuting into cities. You’re onto a loser no matter which way you come from though, it’s a busy area.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Ta. Figured Wigan area would be no better. When I lived in the NW before I remember the traffic news was always full of problems on the Barton Bridge.

I remember driving in to Manchester Airport the M56 was always OK up until about J7 when all the Altringham traffic seemed to pile on. I guess it hasn’t got any better.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, if you come from Wigan area you’ll either get stuck on the East Lancs or on the M62. You’ve probably chosen the lightest area.

As above, either come early or use something other than a car.

GolfChick
    Free Member

My dad for 20 years commuted from Middlewich to Trafford Park everyday… he NEVER drove on the m56 or motorways in general, theres plenty of ways round that will skip the traffic its just about figuring out what the shortcuts and routes are.

edhornby

pick your spot right and it’d be a daily bike commute, that west side of manchester is pan flat 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Road works have just started on Trafford Way and will be there for the best part of the next 18 months.

samuri
    Free Member

So are you working at Kelloggs, the lego centre or one of Britains largest sewage works? 😉

project
    Free Member

I used to drive from Chester to Macclesfield , airport turn of, lots of traffic at Chester and delays at Runcorn inside lane and midle lane as people queue to pull off, then reasonably quiet to m6 junction, then Altringham, long queues and same at the airport, you got used to it, just the mddle lane hoggers got to you

Grimy
    Free Member

Find somewhere to live near high leigh, or lymm. Nice areas and your only 5 minutes from the M56/M6 interchange. The commute to tafford park from either is by a reletivly free flowing A road with minimal lights or obstructions through partington then either up the bypass stright onto the M60 a junction away from trafford park, or yuocan cut through Urmston and miss the motorway completly. 20 minutes off peak, 30/35 peak. Just a surgestion like.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i did it the other direction (chorlton to wilmslow) every weekday for 5 years at around 8am/4.30pm and more often than not the inbound side in the morning was at a total standstill from junctions 5-3A, with the same the opposite way at home time.
    but it’s still probably loads better than the east lancs road/M62 routes…

samuri
    Free Member

And you could cycle along the trans Pennine trail from Lymm to sale.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

So are you working at Kelloggs, the lego centre or one of Britains largest sewage works?

No, but thanks you’re really selling it!

Find somewhere to live near high leigh, or lymm.

That’s probably the best solution but having previously lived near Chester we’d like to move back that way if possible.

mrchrispy

Worked with a guy that did chester to Stretford (close to Trafford park as you can get) and he use to get in hella early as the traffic soon build up. I also used to do the reverse on occasion (chorlton to airport) and the opposite lanes at the bottom of the 56 were always a car park between 8 and 9.

Got you the lymm option, or live in chorlton if you have a beard and a checked shirt

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I stayed in Chester a few times when I was working in Birchwood, it was all about timing for the M56. Done Lymm for some stuff round Urlam and the back roads were getting a pain especially once the BBC moved everyone to Cheshire. Still better than the top half though. I’d rather walk these days than commute past Worsley…

Pembo
    Free Member

From Chester I’d consider m56, m6 thelwall, m62 then m60 to get to Trafford park. Not much in it between that and m56 but could be slightly better depending on where you are working.

Cougar

I worked there for a few years (in the office block next door to the cricket ground), though I was coming in from the North rather than the M65. Motorways were horsework, but the roads once I’d left the Motorways were the biggest issue. If I’d to do it again, I’d park at Heaton Park and use the Metro.

Main problem for me was, it was inconsistent. I got a satnav with traffic updates which helped enormously, but even then it could take 50 minutes one day and two hours the next.

Marmoset
    Free Member

When I worked in the sewerage works there and lived in Chester it was an early dash up the M56 and then take the back roads through Lymm. I’d try and avoid the top half of the M56 and certainly the M60 at the time your going to be going. When working in Stockport it was get to work at about 7.15 to miss the worst traffic.

stever
    Free Member

I did Frodsham to Wilmslow for a year or so recently – the bit about J7 on to the airport at J5 still holds. Slightly random though, sometimes awful sometimes no problem, typically about 50-55 mins in, quicker home.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here commute to Manchester on the M56?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts