Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone have or have experience of an Air Source Heat Pump/RHI
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Going to install a completely new hot water/heating system soon, wonder if it’s worth adding an ASHP to it – what kind of RHI payments do you get? Seems quite good?

Edit: Apologies wrong forum

boxelder

About £650/yr from memory. Been in since 2010 though and rules may have changed.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

noisy!
    if you’re someone who doesn’t like niggleing background noises (like me!)
    then steer clear

Bimbler
    Free Member

noisy!
    if you’re someone who doesn’t like niggleing background noises (like me!)
    then steer clear

Just stick it in the garden, no?

Apparently much better with underfloor heating than traditional rads, which need to be “supersized” to cope with the lower input temperature, hmmm.

GEDA
    Free Member

They are the standard way to heat a house in Sweden.

There are two types here. Air to air and Air to Water. The air to air ones are great if you have an open plan house as they are more efficient. A friend told me that they are about the same efficiency as ground source heat pumps now.

You have to have space for the fan outside and that bit is noisy as is the air fan inside if you go that way.

One important thing is that you must keep all the fans and heat transfer grills clean as they are super fine and can get filled with dust and dirt some so keep them efficient you need to clean them regularly.

13thfloormonk

Apparently much better with underfloor heating than traditional rads, which need to be “supersized” to cope with the lower input temperature, hmmm.

This!

Just had to design a small system but with no option to use underfloor, some huge radiators going in there… A good example for regular travellers to Edinburgh Airport is the radiators in the car hire centre, served by ground source heat pumps.

Also still traumatised from trying to help a client who had 4 big commercial air-to-air units which appeared to have been undersized and had frozen themselves solid, there was literally ice bulging out from underneath the casings. Wish I’d taken a pic…

I like to think modern units have sufficient control to avoid that happening though.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

If it’s a new house and extremely well insulated then an air to water are a good solution to those not being on the gas grid system.

Modern heat pumps will allow temperatures up to 65C which is good for water and heating. Even in low ambient temperatures, the supply temperatures should be achievable. The system would need sizing correctly. It is better to slightly undersize the unit rather than go to big.

Have a look at the Daikin Altherma range and ask for a selection for the required duty.

mikekay
    Free Member

The units ive fitted (nibe, samsung) both had auto reverse functions every so many hours to defrost themselves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have or have experience of an Air Source Heat Pump/RHI’ is closed to new replies.