Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone have one of the lumbar resevoir Camelbaks?
  • mos

What do you think of them? The reviews seem pretty favourable but i’m a bit concerned about the overall length of the pack as i have a relatively long torso.

Rogman
    Free Member

I use the Camelback Charge, they tend to be slightly longer than say the Mule but you hardly know that you are wearing it,even with a couple of litres of fluid on board, give it a go I am pretty sure that you will be impressed.

mrelectric

^ +1 . Better than older Mule; lower centre of gravity Is really good & like the accessible hip pouches.

mrelectric

^ +1 . Better than older Mule; lower centre of gravity Is really good & like the accessible hip pouches.

muddyfool

Also have a charge 10. I’m quite tall and have no problems with fit. As said above i really don’t notice the weight of the water, it’s all around stomach level and even full, a couple of extra kilos at stomach level is insignificant. To me, anyway. 😳

bruneep

Yup like mine, not sure of the fabric tho seems quite thin compared to my old blowfish. Way more comfortable to wear with the weight being lower down.

Only been worn 6 or so times but so far thumbs up!

tutgareth
    Free Member

Have Charge LR and its much better than than the std ones for me. At 6’1″ I struggle with fit and the charge keeps the weight off my shoulders nicely, plus it has lots of extra storage pockets too 🙂

mos

That’s what I was thinking. Normal packs turn into giant ‘back sausages’ when they are full. I was looking at a pic in one of the magazines of a new normal type pack & it was about 10″ wide & 14″ deep, which can’t be too stable?
    That’s why I thought these lumbar ones look a better solution.
    Cheers guys, looks like I’m gonna get one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Charge LR here, really like it. I think?

This version

Putting the reservoir in and out is a bit more hassle than a normal back pack but all other points are +’s

Weight sits lower down, doesn’t ride up and smack me in the back of the head, plenty of space, hardly feel like I’m wearing it.

bruneep

That’s what I have^ I find it easier to take the bladder in and out using the q/r connection.

robdixon
    Free Member

I’ve got the charge – great bit of kit for rides up to 3 hours.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Anyone tried a Camelbak XCT? Selling ’em off cheap in Black’s at the moment, if you don’t mind having one in girly colours. Looks like a pared-down, minimal version of the same idea. The reservoir isn’t lumbar, but the storage space is – most of it is in the hip straps. Be interested to hear any real-world experiences of it.

Houns

How blimmin expensive are camelbaks now?!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use a Charge LR, it’s the first Camelbak I’ve ever bought having gone from bottles. I wasn’t keen on Camelbaks at first thinking that all that water weight up high on my back would be cumbersome so I looked around for a while and watched mates ride with std Camelbaks and could wince watching the packs bounce around.. So I popped into Snow and Rock who have a Cycle Surgery and a range of Packs. I tried on the Charge and took a punt.
    I’ve been very impressed and now I don’t think I’d be without it. As said all the water weight is low in the back, the pockets are large and the two side pockets. Large enough to hold phones/keys etc.
    It’s an excellent piece of kit.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have one. It’s 3 years old now I think, but pretty much bulletproof. It’s brilliant. Really comfortable when running as well.

Popped it into the washing machine with some tech wash the other day and it came out almost good as new too! Zip action is like the day I got it.

tinybits
    Free Member

Charge LR here. Very comfortable, but I think it’s going to be pretty wot in the summer, there’s a lot of back covered. Having said that, Ideal size for a couple of tubes, basic tools and pump. Waterproof, phone and food in the accessible hip pockets. I like it.

D0NK

just been looking at these, I currently use a wingnut, brilliant bit of kit, low down, nice and stable and comfy for long rides even when full of gear. So was interested in the new camelbak LR stuff however looking at the pics I thought the same as tinybits, they seem very long (whereas the wingnuts are shorter with long straps, top of your back is uncovered, bit more breathable) It can be a slight faff getting them on sometimes twisted straps etc. I presume the LRs are thinner, closer to the back and so maybe even more stable? But does that limit what you can stash in them?

Anyone tried both LR and wingnut and can give us a comparison?

neninja
    Free Member

I tried the Charge LR but didn’t get on with it. I think they would suit someone taller with a long back.

I’m a shorty with long legs and a short back so it just didn’t feel right.

As a result I have a little used excellent condition Charge LR in sky blue for sale if anyone is looking.

mrelectric

Fabric is thinner than my other CB but that keeps weight done which was another +. Had the version with mesh side pockets at first but when stitching on a zip went after almost a year CRC replaced it no probs with Charge LR. Bladder east to get out I find.

aracer
    Free Member

Not keen on Camelbak packs in general – apart from anything else they tend to be quite heavy for what they are – I’ve never quite worked out why people feel the need for a cycle specific pack when the lightweight ones designed for running work so well. But I’ve got a couple of Inov8 packs with a similar horizontal reservoir. They’re ace – I definitely prefer having the weight of the water lower down.

Steelsreal

don’t like camelbaks, had a nasty fall with one on whch did not end well! Wingnut now, with a soft bladder with now massive hard bits on it

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have one of the lumbar resevoir Camelbaks?’ is closed to new replies.