Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone have experience of using a pocket jointer
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’m looking to build a book case in the next few weeks from beech ply and I’ve been looking at pocket jointers. I’m a keen DIY Joiner but haven’t used one of these before.
    Are they easy to get to grips with, is there a minimum thickness of material they can be used on and what is out there as the Kreg ones seem quite pricey?
    Cheers

wwaswas

they do a cheap version;

http://www.mpdirect.co.uk/p/52875/kreg-jig-mini-mkjkit

but you’d need to do all the alignment yourself so not ideal.

I’ve not used one but If it were me I’d probably use a router to cut slots in the end panels of the shelves so the pocket hole screws would really only be to hold it together whilst the glue dried.

Bear in mind that with a ply panel you have fairly minimal material thickness to screw into too.

Gunz
    Free Member

Wwaswas, many thanks. I reckon I’ll have to invest in the more expensive version as I don’t fancy aligning with the mini one linked.
    I was looking at about 2cm thick ply so hopefully I won’t have to go down the routing route (this is at the top of a very long list of weekend jobs).

siwhite
    Free Member

I have a Kreg pocket hole jig – great bit of kit. Mine is this version; Here

Very good tool – I’ve not used it for a ‘serious’ joint in an actual project but I’ve jointed some scraps together and it works well.

Interestingly, I used it to hang some very narrow floating shelves made from beech worktop in our larder – screwing into an angled wall plug. Worked nicely. I use UJK screws as I have a branch of Axminster just down the road – same principly, but the Kreg uses square drive and the UJK is Torx.

tinybits
    Free Member

Now I do a lot of woodwork, on a pretty large scale but I’ve never seen a pocket jointer. Just googled and come up with the kreg one, and now I have to go shopping!

tymbian
    Free Member

+1 Kreg . Use the appropriate screws though…

project
    Free Member

Great litle tool ensure you set the depth collar to the correct depth on a scrap piece of wood.

Dip the screw in pva glue before you screw the joint up, makes it more secure,but then you cant get it out , also square drive head screws are better.

Finally when inserting screws and tigtening up set clutch on drill as its so easy to kep screwing.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Kreg owner here too, great advice from project. UKJ as mentioned above make a kit now that looks the same as the Kreg but cheaper. I haven’t played with one though. Axminster for all your wood working needs

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now I do a lot of woodwork, on a pretty large scale but I’ve never seen a pocket jointer. Just googled and come up with the kreg one, and now I have to go shopping!

Same here. 😀 Looks like an awesome little tool!!

spacecadett
    Free Member

Trend also make a pocket hole jig. It’s is cheaper than the Kreg but still good quality.

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/trend/content/content_detail.php?record_type=Knowledge&id=15426

They are £73 at Screwfix.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OMG 😯

A matching plug cutter??!?!?!?!?!? I just did a little sex wee. 😀

BigJohn

I build wardrobes and office furniture for a living. I use a Kreg pocket hole jig for all my work. It is quick, accurate and strong. All you need to start with is the Kreg R3 kit for about £30 and the correct screws. You must use the right screws but the instruction guide tells you which to use for which material. The only addition I have is the premium face clamp at about £17 which means you can drill your holes fast and accurately.

Most of my work is using 18mm MFC and it’s solid as a rock. I’ve done some using 15mm MFC and MDF and the jig will go down to 12.7 mm. (half inch)

Appleby Woodturnings is where I get all my stuff from. They also supply little plugs to fill in the holes for a neat finish on exposed joints.

BigJohn

This shows what it’s all about

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6mfwXAEL8[/video]

I prefer the handy sized R3 to the bench mounted ones as you can’t always find the room to get a 2400 x 600 board standing up on end.

footflaps

Very nifty gadget, just ordered a kit off EBay….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have experience of using a pocket jointer’ is closed to new replies.