Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone have any tips for visiting Berlin?
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

Going in about a week for 4 days, we (me and the gf) have a few of the classic places on our list to see but I need some tips for finding some hidden gems, restaurants, bars, etc. Can anyone recommend any places worth a look?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Don’t mention the war.

SaxonRider

Fabulous city. Don’t be afraid to get of the beaten track, head out of city centre to the bits of the old East Berlin that sit just outside it, and stop by some of the old Russian bakeries and cafes.

hallz
    Free Member

Think its the coldest place i’ve ever been!

Good place though, if not as friendly as Munich and other southern towns…

manmurray

Not sure if they’ll be open yet but the beach bars behind the east side gallery are cool (was there mid-April and they’d opened a couple of weeks before). Neues museum is a must, as much for the building itself as the exhibits. As SaxonRider says, head east and you’ll find some hidden gems…favourite city in Europe 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Bike hire, it’s cheap and the city is mostly pretty flat and great for cycling. We used fat tyre bikes (loads of places round the city)

Old east berlin is where anything a bit more alternative is located, the most interesting art places etc.

Clarchen’s Ballhaus is an interesting place to go, crazy building, nice pizzas too http://www.ballhaus.de/

Get free listings magazines in bars for art / clubs etc, changes so often no one will be able to recommend anything of that kind reliably. Tripadvisor might be good for restaurants, so many visitors to the city it’ll get tons of reviews for anywhere, although to be honest i usually just wander around and look at places, it’s quite a good city for that.

Tons of historical stuff, depends how much depressing holocaust stuff you can take – the holocaust memorial is very moving in an extremely bleak way.

avdave2

Tons of historical stuff, depends how much depressing holocaust stuff you can take – the holocaust memorial is very moving in an extremely bleak way.

The installation “fallen leaves” at the Jewish Museum is a far more powerful and moving monument in my opinion. That’s not to say that holocaust monument shouldn’t be on your list.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Segway tour is awesome. Great guides and a convenient excuse to try a Segway out for the day.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Cheers guys some really useful advice we’ll be having a look at 🙂 I’m pleased to see cycling around is an option, I did that around Amsterdam and loved it but it’s pretty much made for cycling, many of the other capitols I’ve been to are a little like London for cycling (i.e. scary!).

Duggan

For decent bars etc get the u-bahn to Schleisses Tor (I think that’s spelt right) and just take a right as you go out the station- loads of great Kreuzberg bars and clubs and you’re right near Watergate as well if you like that stuff.

I went with my g/f and there was a great atmosphere, great people and loads of cool places there

hammerite
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic place. Although prior to going I thought the idea of tourist tours of places were a bit of a naff, but someone recommended the Brewers Walking Tour (not about breweries!) to us before we went. Best thing we did.

Our guide (Victoria) was excellent, not just showing us the typical sites, but taking us off the beaten track and generally telling some amazing tales and stories about the place. http://www.brewersberlintours.com/tours We did the Best of Berlin tour. We must have gone about 8 years ago, but I see Victoria is still a guide for them.

Other places…. cafe at the opera house (great cakes), breakfast up the TV tower, some bar that I have no idea what it’s called that served literally hundred of beers, Olympic Stadium (get the audio guide) and the Topography of Terrors.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have any tips for visiting Berlin?’ is closed to new replies.