Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • anyone have any experience of Canada?
  • Creg

Kind of a followup to my other post really. It now appears that my mates are all fannies and dont want to go travelling anymore so its just me on my tod now.

So I have a bit of choice as to where I can go.

Sticking with the summer camp program Im giving some serious to going to Canada instead of the US.

Ive never been to Canada before (but have met lots of Canadians and they've all been great people). Somehow I seem to have got the impression that travel in Canada would be a lot nicer than in the US? Is this generally true?

Anyone got any info they can share?

ebygomm
    Free Member

It's much the same but more expensive and road signs are in kilometers instead of miles.

Edit: that's not meant as a negative, they're both great places to visit. There's more variation place to place within each country than between them.

Drac

it's big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts

grumm
    Free Member

Canada is lovely and the people are great – BC/Vancouver especially is a really great place. Montreal/Quebec is also nice. Don't have much experience of the rest of it – I believe there is a massive bit in the middle with nothing much there!

Preferred it to the US personally – people seemed a bit more genuine.

Creg

Ok thanks for the info

SaxonRider

I have a little bit of experience of Canada. Born and raised there, actually. Lived both East and West, and remain torn between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadians in terms of where I place my affections. Nice place.

wl
    Free Member

Canada's mint for trails – BC is covered with them – try Nelson as an alternative to the more accessible and familiar hotspots. Never ridden in the US but it's hard to believe it matches BC, though it is ace for hiking, camping and mind-boggling landscapes. I find the US more culturally interesting.

jonb
    Free Member

I met a fair number of inbred alcoholics but I also made the front page of the local paper.

I liked the place but we were off the beaten track in a big way. Nice people, really nice people. We went there twice in two years and got invited to stay in strangers houses, invited to Sunday lunch, met the mayor, got complete strangers to pick us and sea kayaks up at midnight from ferry ports. The drunks were too drunk to be a problem.

Go to somewhere near Vancouver as it's got everything geography wise.

Surfr
    Free Member

I did 2 summers (4 month stints) at Camp Chief Hector near Canmore, Alberta in the Rockies. I was leading 5 day hiking expeditions with groups of 8 14-15 year old boys 1 year, and leading 5 day white water canoe expeditions the following year. Those were 2 of he best (and fittest) summers of my life and I will always remember that time fondly.

Now I imagine that most of the staff have changed since '97 when I was last there but I'd still recommend the place highly.

http://www.ymcacalgary.org/web/Default.aspx?cid=2952&lang=1

I wish I had taken more photos of my time there but here are a few to whet your appetite.

One of my groups on a hiking expedition:

Working the bank with a throw bag at the end of a small rapid on the North Sask river.

Couple of kids running the wave set at the same spot

Quite a big camp as can be seen by the all-staff photo from the 97 season

Any questions, I'd be glad to help where I can.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Camp Chief Hector near Canmore, Alberta

I'm sure I know someone who worked there, just can't remember who.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have a little bit of experience of Canada. Born and raised there, actually. Lived both East and West, and remain torn between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadians in terms of where I place my affections. Nice place
    Doesn't that mean you should be torn between the Canucks & the Canadiens then?

I went to Calgary (well, Medicine Hat anyway) in 2001. Would LOVE to go back as it's so **** ENORMOUS you don't get to see much in 3 weeks.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Pics are better than words!

Creg

Ive got 6 weeks worth of traveling time after working. I doubt Ill get to see much of it as Ill probably be reliant on public transport or other people from the camp who might want to travel.

Hoping to get some riding done, although my bike skills are pretty terrible. Will I be majorly out of my depth here?

Some of the pics are just amazing

scotabroad

Canada is great, dont rule out USA though, USA is just as big and has a huge amount of places to visit. Classic bike trails at Moab for example, cities, beaches, desserts, surfing, hiking, skiing etc etc.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I spent 2 weeks in Canada last summer:
    5 nights in Canmore
    2 nights in Calgary (sister's wedding)
    1 night Kamloops en route to…
    3 nights Vancouver, then
    1 night Lake Louise village
    on the way back to the airport at Calgary. If I'd planned the trip better the return flight would've been from Vancouver, but when I booked the flights all I knew was I had to be in Calgary on the 1st of August.

I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhooper_drum/sets/72157621868287748/

Creg

The US is very tempting, especially from a surfers point of view. Would like to check out California and see what that has to offer beach wise. Although Im hoping to spend summer next year in Hossegor (France) and then possibly head to Indonesia then Australia after that.

Canada is seeming very attractive the more I look into it

Decisions decisions

scotabroad

The US is very tempting, especially from a surfers point of view. Would like to check out California and see what that has to offer beach wise

I was in LA last Saturday in Santa Monica – mid January temp mid 70's,there were people surfing, beach volleyball, bikini clad 20 somethings sun bathing/ jogging/ cycling, got fed up looking at too many perfect bodies (dirty old git).

Quite pricey for the states though…

Creg

LA is one place I would love to check out. The skating, the surfing, the beaches all look fantastic.

Oh yeah, and the oodles of bikini clad girls 😉

Only problem would be slumming it in cheap hotels/motels

waynekerr
    Free Member

Creg, how do you fund all this travel you do & plan to do? I take it your single & don't work very often as you seem to be on holiday most of the time, just curious & maybe a little jealous. 🙂

Creg

Creg, how do you fund all this travel you do & plan to do? I take it your single & don't work very often as you seem to be on holiday most of the time, just curious & maybe a little jealous.

Im a student in my final year. The summer camp program is pretty cheap as I dont have to pay for flights, the only problem is I dont get paid much. The $1500 dollars I get paid will hopefully see me through 6 weeks of roughing it in the US or Canada, with a little of my own money in case things get tight. I am provided with an open ticket so when I run out of money I can just come home again.

I have part time work outside of Uni which covers travel expenses and rent so I have the chance to save the majority of my student loan. Im single so dont have any considerations other than myself. Outside of Uni I have very little social life so I save a lot of money that way.

While I should be saving it so that I have some money put aside for relocating to find work Ive decided sod it and Im going to see a bit more of the world while I wait for the graduate job market to improve somewhat. I have plenty of experience in the hospitality industry so can find work very easily in that sector. The majority of the time I have spent abroad has been working in hospitality where the pay is terrible, but its been worth it when considering the amount of time I have spent surfing, snowboarding and kiting through these jobs

mav12
    Free Member

had two holidays in canada first was banff jasper calgary etc

second was vancouver van island whistler etc

fantastic place stunning scenery wildlife etc

rs
    Free Member

While I should be saving it so that I have some money put aside for relocating to find work Ive decided sod it and Im going to see a bit more of the world while I wait for the graduate job market to improve somewhat.

I would say your doing the right thing, enjoy yourself before you have any ties.

ps. Been in Vancouver for two years now, I like it. If you choose this part of the world I don't think you'd regret it.

Surfr
    Free Member

ebygomm

Camp Chief Hector near Canmore, Alberta

I'm sure I know someone who worked there, just can't remember who.

ooh do have a think. It's entirely possible I knew them. A LOT of locals worked there for 10 years+ given they loved it so much.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Good on you Creg, you'll be all the richer for it, maybe not money wise, but definitely life wise.

beamers

Creg

I lived and worked in Alberta, for 2 years, 2007 and 2008.

Did loads of traveling whilst there and had a blog running whilst out there.

http://thebeamans.blogspot.com/

It might be worth a look.

We absolutely loved it out there. I am envious of you.

scruff
    Free Member

Go to Sparwood near Fernie BC as it got a masive Dumper Truck. Its REALLY big.

Pigface
    Free Member

Creg Vancouver island has surf, it is a small scene and pretty hardcore but some empty waves. Big predators on land and in the water 🙂 depending on what kind of board you ride I wouldnt bother with Hossegor, to full and busy in the summer, La Pin Sec was brilliant just a nicer vibe. For swank you have to do Cote de Basque in Biarritz but dont buy anything 😉

Trekster

I believe there is a massive bit in the middle with nothing much there!

Thats the bit I am spending 3wks in come June, Saskatoon, staying with friends who emigrated last yr. He is a mental health nurse looking after all the drunks & druggies 😥

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Creg

No experience of the States, but studied in Canada for a year then travelled for about five weeks after end of term.
    Went from Toronto, to 'cottage country' to Ottowa. Took train from there all the way out west, stopping in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and finally Vancouver with a bit of car-hire to see the mountains in between (Banff, lake louise, etc.), then a boat to vancouver Island.
    Train all the way back from Vancouver to Ottowa, then drove east through Quebec and onward to Nova Scotia, returning via Q city and Montreal again (where I'd been for the previous new year eve), to fly back to Amsterdam.

Man. I saw more of Canada than most Canadians!
    Tell you this – it IS huge, with all the populated areas within about 100km of the US border.
    It still has more of a British/European feel than I imagine the US would, although US culture does dominate.
    The canucks are very quick to differentiate themselves from the yanks though, and you would see that.

I would love to return, but it ain't so easy now I'm tied to family and work.
    You sound like you enjoy the active life, so somewhere in the west may suit you for biking/hiking/etc.

Whatever choice you make, I hope it is the right one for you.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘anyone have any experience of Canada?’ is closed to new replies.