• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nols.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone have a Transition Bandit?
  • minzo
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a Bandit frame and want peoples opinion on what its like? I would be moving all the bits from my NS Surge, 150mm Revs etc. I ride a mix of stuff around S.Wales, Cwmcarn and that.

jedi

i got my daughter a bandit . she loves it. rode glentress and inners and local xc too.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got one. Very happy with it.

And perfect with 150mm forks too. Go for it. 😀

lock
    Free Member

Awesome bike,I use mine for all day rides,mini down hill events and play days out,pedals real good,

As good as any other 5 inch trail bike and better than most,check sizing though,I normally ride a medium (5″10 ) but the transition guys recommended a large and I agree feels great

chopchop
    Free Member

I have a covert and am so impressed with it I’m tempted to get a bandit frame as well because I have all the parts spare to build one up. 2011 models are very cheap on the transition US site even with delivery charges.

ashfanman
    Free Member

2011 models are very cheap on the transition US site even with delivery charges.

Just remember to factor in import duties.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chopchop – us websites usually quote prices without sales tax(vat) as in the us if you buy goods ipfrom a different state you don’t pay sales tax. As above to import to the uk you just pay duty and vat.

As an aside the cross over between bandit and covert seems quite great 150 vs 160 with the covert being branded as the all round bike. Nirvana have a demo bandit 29er and they’ve been riding and jumping it. Not sure if anyone on here harps demoed it. I rode the covert and liked it a lot fwiw.

You might like to check the transition owners group on facebook (they post here too) they had some offers and may have a demo.

Rickos
    Free Member

I thought Bandit was 130mm travel?

andycs

18 bikes in Hope have a Bandit demo bike.

puncturo
    Free Member

I do like the look of the bandit. I think it’s 130mm rear and 140mm front when bought standard.

Does anyone know what the customs duty percentage is on a bike or frame from the US? HMRC website says you’d have to pay this duty and then import VAT of 20%.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

IIRC its about 4% for frames and parts. + the VAT + the handling charge from the courier (typically ~£10).

Worth checking on warranty situation, a mate has had good service on a UK-bought Covert from Transition (crash replacement) but you cant expect support from the UK importer and most brands have regional warranties (Eg. US, EU) managed via importer/distributor.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Bandit is 130mm travel and designed for forks between 140-160mm. I find mine perfect at 150mm.

Covert is 150mm travel (new one is 160mm) and really wants a beefy 160mm fork – something like Fox 36s or a Lyrik. Wouldn’t be ideal with Revs, so OP would need new forks.

I’ve found my Bandit plenty tough enough anyway. Transition tend towards making their bikes tough rather than super light, so unless you really want more travel then I’m sure you’d be fine.

Rickos
    Free Member

puncturo – check here for a calculator – http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

This is the duty –

Bicycle Frame has an import duty rate of 4.7% and VAT rate of 20%

d45yth
    Free Member

Postage from the US can be crippling too…I paid nearly £200 for a frame! It was something I couldn’t get over here though, I wouldn’t mail order anything from over there if you can buy it in this country.

puncturo
    Free Member

Cheers for the info chaps. I think I’ll take the hint and stick with the UK distributor!

nols
    Free Member

Hi Minzo – Nols here from the Transition UK owners group.
    Not sure if they’d actually send you one direct from the USA to be honest anyway. You’d have to ask Sam, but I reckon you’d just be pointed in the direction of Surf-Sales. We’re trying to get some deals on new old stock 2011 stuff for members of the owners group, as we’re being supported by Surf-Sales. Keep an eye on the Tr.OG facebook page. We’re getting stuff together for Friday 13th. Various demo bikes, stuff that was warrantied for paint defects etc that Transition USA have approved for resale and new old stock from 2011… Saying that, there’s only one small and one XL bandit frames available from 2011 with Surf-Sales – so not a lot to choose from.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tr.OG.UK

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Transition Bandit?’ is closed to new replies.