• This topic has 121 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Anyone have a Road Bike?
  • ogden
    Free Member

I don’t know if its a forbidden subject round these parts lol

I’ve been looking at getting a road bike to commute on and build up fitness wonder if anyone has one or opinions on them as I don’t know much about them. Budget of around £600 lower the better

I’ve come up with these two which look pretty good for the money
    Merlin FF1 105
    https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-ff1-105-mix-road-bike-84204.html

This comes with free clip peddles and shoes this week so thats a bonus! but no reviews on it?

and this

Btwin Triban 540

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html

Open to opinions and suggestions

Thanks

Ogden

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s actually in the forum rules that we only talk about mountain bikes 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Seriously though, I prefer the Merlin. Nicer looking imo, full 105 drive train ( i think) instead of the 105 tiagra mix. 11 speed over 10 too.

Leku
    Free Member

I’m also looking for something similar at the moment. I did a basic bike fit which gave me some target bike dimensions to look for.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p5923/GIANT-DEFY-2-2015

tomhoward

I reckon there’s as many, if not more, roadies on here as mtbers…

funkrodent

They’re both decent bikes. A lot of serious roadies have the Triban as their winter bike because it’s good enough for their purposes but cheap enough that they don’t mind it getting trashed by crap weather/salt on roads etc.
    As a bike commuter myself I’d suggest getting a bike with the capacity to take mudguards and a rack. After a while arriving at work covered in road spray from the wheels, and with a sweaty back from a rucksack, gets a bit old..
    Have to say that the Merlin looks a steal. One of the massive compromises on cheap (& even not so cheap) road bikes is the wheels. I’d take a decent set of wheels over a slightly better groupset any day. You’d be happy with the Fulcrum wheels on a £1500 bike, let alone a £500. On the downside it really is set up as a racer, so steep angles (quick, but harsh) & no rack/mudguards

funkrodent

This is my bike. Beautiful piece of kit. Comes with mudguards and capacity to take up to 28mm tyres (more comfort). Can take rack as well. Again, the choice of many serious roadies for winter/training bike

Kinesis Racelight

funkrodent

Also worth looking at the Ribble 7005. Again very popular with roadies. They have a fairly unique bike builder feature on their site. You can get it with full 10spd Tiara group, Magic Aksium wheels (decent entry level) & continental gatorskin tyres (great compromise on grip, protection, longevity and rolling resistance) for £650. Great price..

Ribble 7005

tomd
    Free Member

The Triban 540 has excellent tyre clearance and can take decent width tyres and full guards. A big plus if you plan or year round riding or any light gnarmac.

My wife has the Triban and I would buy one myself without hesitation. Ludicrously good for 600. Road bikes are ace, assuming you have decent roads to ride on!

davidjey
    Free Member

Anyone here have a road bike?! You might as well ask ‘anyone here middle-aged, work in IT and drive an Audi?’*

Have you ridden road bike much/at all before? If not, be wary of buying online as you might end up with something that doesn’t fit you well. Have a chat with your LBS and see what they’ll do you for that price. They’ll also be able to make sure it will take mudguards, which will make riding it to work much more pleasant.

*for the record I fit none of these criteria although slipping dangerously close to the lower bounds of middle age

theotherjonv

Also have a look at the Boardman’s at Halfords – last time i was in (OK, flame me but I needed a tube at short notice) they had a few clearance ones. I have a Boardman CX myself, as others have said will take bigger tyres and a mudguards for the commute / winter, I enjoy being able to gravel road it as well, geometry isn’t quite as much of a shock compared to an out and out road bike, and while it is heavier I can keep up on the club run easily enough.

Plus, if you join British cycling (about £15 iirc) then you can get 10% off with your card at Halfords.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Road bikes…

No road bikes here 🙂

cp

wow, not so long ago, you had to pay a grand for a bike with 105. They are both impressive deals.

I’d go with the merlin, a bit cheaper, a nice company to support, and the LG version of the Fulcrum wheels, so a little wider rim.

The fact you’re also getting shoes and pedals is a great bonus!

bikebouy
    Free Member

ogden – Member
    I don’t know if its a forbidden subject round these parts lol

It is forbidden yes lol
    You will be sent to the naughty corner for suggesting such incomprehensible bike style choices lol
    Fat Bikes are where its at lol
    You can only buy a disc equipped road bike now, all rim braked bikes have been confiscated lol

HTH
    lol

TiRed

First question is what sort of riding do you want to do? General training in foul weather? Ride some sportives? Try racing? Road bikes come in almost as many flavours as mtbs, and each has their merits.

Of the two, the triban is a better all rounder, with room for mudguards. The Merlin is a “full-on” race bike with classic geometry, both are however excellent value.

The Giant Defy# gets a LOT of love here because it is an accomplished “first” road bike that is a perfect compromise between more comfortable, endurance riding, and full on race bike – indeed a Defy won the prestigious Paris Roubaix classic last year. The bike linked to at Pauls Cycles has the same race-winning geometry.

For your budget, I’d pick the Merlin for me, but the Defy is a better choice for a first bike.

I don’t have a road bike btw. I have five 😳

#Think of it as the road equivalent of a Giant Anthem. Accomplished at most things and more bike than most people will need.

rhayter

Commuting without full mud guards is pretty horrible. Unless I’m buying a road bike solely for Sundays in summer (and that’s what my mountain bike is for) then space and eyelets for mudguards is a must.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Will the bike be kept inside at work or locked outside?

ogden
    Free Member

Hello thanks for the responses! It’ll mainly be used for commuting from my house in the north York moors to the closest town so a few hills involved, it’s about 8-9 miles and mainly a dry day use and general fitness rides so nothing serious.

The merlin seems like a brilliant spec for the money and it’s cheaper than the btwin plus the free shoes and pedals thrown it are like icing on the cake

But the btwin is probably better geometry and all the necessary mounts for mud guards but cost more less spec and a new model is coming in July

Being a Yorkshire man I like to get the most for my money

shermer75
    Free Member

That merlin looks great and it’s an amazingly good deal. Merlin is a great shop to deal with too. Do you live near it? If not then the decathlon might be better as you get to actually try it. Tribans always get great reviews, I’ve seen them in the flesh and they look good too. Also, the triban is easy to fit mudguards and a rack too, which might appeal if you’re using it as a commuter

shermer75
    Free Member

So,

Purely commuter = Triban

Sunday club runs too= Merlin

ogden
    Free Member

My heads saying Triban makes more sense but there’s something saying go get the merlin lol

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Both excellent bikes. But merlin wins especially with shoes and pedals thrown in.
    Just check decathlon have stock. Looked at a rockier 560 for the missus and we had to get a display model as their was none in stock.

D0NK

from a quick look I’d go for the merlin for a road bike and the Btwin as a commuter. Because:

As a bike commuter myself I’d suggest getting a bike with the capacity to take mudguards and a rack.

iainc

Merlin is a great Spec for the money, but as said by others, the Defy is reputably one of the comfiest road bikes around, so my money would go there.

I have had a few harsh road frames, but got a Composite Defy in 2012, which I sold last week, replacing with a 2016 one. My 13 yr old son has just started road riding, on a Defy 5. Can’t see past them myself 🙂

ogden
    Free Member

When you throw the price of pedals and shoes on the giant it works out same price as the merlin but less spec.

My problem is I can’t really get anywhere to try any of them out.

freeagent
    Free Member

I agree – Giant Defy is the go-to choice.
    My Defy 1 is very comfortable (certainly more compliant that the 2016 Arkose 3 I’ve been riding since Christmas)

I did the Ride London 100 on my Defy last summer, and it certainly wasn’t the bike that was lacking towards the end…

iainc

My Defy 1 is very comfortable (certainly more compliant that the 2016 Arkose 3 I’ve been riding since Christmas)

my 2012 Defy Composite 1, on 25c tyres, was every bit as compliant and comfy on road rides as my steel Croix De Fer 30 on 35c rubber

squin
    Free Member

Do you know what frame size you’d need?

I’ve not ridden either so can’t comment but people on here might be able to advise re geometry etc

ogden
    Free Member

I’m 5.9 so usually a medium sized frame. I’m still completely torn on what to do

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m 5.9 so usually a medium sized frame.

If it’s going to be a Giant, you might be a Medium, or you might be a Medium/Large. Really depends on your body dimensions, so a trip to a Giant dealer is in order!

squin
    Free Member

You’d be a M on a Giant…probably. M/L seem to fit 5’11″ish and above.

The Merlin might be too big for you too with a 55cm toptube.

If you’re between sizes, size down.

Try swinging a leg over the small and medium Triban, see what feels better.

We’re all different though as I’m 5’10.5″ and a 56 is too big so I’ve just gone to a medium Giant Defy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Squin, I’ve done fits for people shorter than 5’11” on M/L frames. Really depends on the dimensions, leg/body/arm length. On some, a M/L is a better fit with a shorter stem, for example. On others, a M with a longer stem and a bit more layback on the post.

squin
    Free Member

I wouldn’t disagree. Some people will be the opposite to me. I’ve got a shorter torso, plus at 40+ and not too flexible I prefer a bit les stretched.

I think most ‘average’ 5’9″ would be a M Giant, but what’s average?

ogden
    Free Member
    cp

Look at the price

Look at the geometry! Assuming the geo chart is correct, and they are horizontal top tube measurements, they are very very short.

Also no mech hanger, so factor that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get whatever Defy best fits you and your budget. Bit over budget but the Defy 2 at 750 with the new Tiagra looks a super bike for the money.

scottalej
    Free Member

I recently bought a Cannondale Synapse.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/18051/cannondale-synapse-tiagra-disc-6-road-racing-bike-2015-sale

I offered £600 as Evans are selling at £636 and they accepted. I also fitted SKS chromoplastic p35 mudguards.
    Only 56cm frames available now which may be a little big for you so worth trying for size somewhere.

ogden
    Free Member

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291705114937&alt=web

defy 0 frame could be a good place to start?

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/bikes/point-r-road/point-r-shimano-tiagra24

Mango Point R Tiagra £500. They also offer an upgrades wheel set for +£70

Cool colours too..

avdave2

my 2012 Defy Composite 1, on 25c tyres, was every bit as compliant and comfy on road rides as my steel Croix De Fer 30 on 35c rubber

I’d dispute that iainc. I have a a Defy advanced on 25mm tyres and a Croix de Fer on 35mm. The Defy is not every bit as compliant and comfy as the the Croix de Fer it’s head and shoulders better. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Road Bike?’ is closed to new replies.