Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone have a Castelli Gabba or similar (for road)?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Now it’s time to put away the summer gear and think about getting long bibs out, it’s got me thinking about layers and tops in particular. I don’t have a long sleeved jersey and the only windproof top I have is a Gore Phantom, which is warm for this time of year with a SS jersey underneath. I’ve read a Gabba is very good – is it all that?…and what do you recommend for Autumn road biking that’s not too warm – I’m not sure this is very well conveyed TBH – in a nutshell, recommend me a long sleeved road top for now. I thank you 🙂

Bregante

I think the popular way to go is a short sleeve Gabba and arm warmers. I hope so as that’s what I’ve just bought..Not used it yet though

monde
    Free Member

Have a convertible gabba and it is the only piece of clothing i would buy again. Just seems to work!

dmc
    Free Member

I have a short sleeved version used with the nano flex arms nearly 3 years old still as good as the day I bought it ! Agree with monde it’s one of the only things I would buy again…

scaredypants

I have 2 “gabba” tops (that aren’t castelli)
    One is long sleeved and one is short

Buy the short and some arm warmers

Rorschach
    Free Member
    onandon
    Free Member

I started a Gabba post a few weeks ago. I ended up with a short sleeve and nanoflex arm warmers. Some good deals around depending on your size.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have a long sleeve version. Great piece of kit.

Kryton57

I’m led to believe wiggles DHB Aeron Rain Defence jersey is ” similar”…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Isn’t it similarly priced as well?

Kryton57

£90, yes. The Kalas version I’m asking about in another thread is £97.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends on how warm you run and where you live, but overall i’d say SS + arm warmers is by far the most versatile. I find mine great, would buy again – BUT, its not as water resistant as it should be. Aparantly the waterproofing is a bit hit and miss, almost as though they have quality control issues applying the DWR at the factory. Totally windproof and warm even when wet though.

If you can find the louis garneau powershield version its a better top imo, more breathable and better waterproofing. Think the polartec material is just superior to Windstopper.

As @Rorschach linked, the 2015 endura version is a bargain at that price. Fit isnt quite as good, and material is a bit odd, but it works a treat.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a long-sleeve medium one in blue, and a short sleeved one with Thermoflex arm warmers in black. They’re my most worn road items, very versatile. I’d go for the Nanoflex arm warmers next time.

Love mine to bits, but the Endura ones look good too. I think I’d be happy with them as well.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I already have some Endura arm warmers and I have a Windstopper gilet – it’s quite thick, is not piss-down proof and has no scope for carrying anything.
    Just wondering if I’m finding a reason to buy a top I might not actually need 🙄
    Anyone have any first experience of that Sigma Endura top?

cheers_drive

I’ve go the Stolen Goat one, it’s very nice and works in a wide range of templates. Tried a Gabba but didn’t feel as nice next to skin

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes.
    The endura one is in a very strange stretchy rubbery(ish) material, but if you can get over the feel of it, it works well.
    Breathability is on a par with gabba, maybe very slightly less. Windproofing is good. Not been with it in prolonged rain, but seemed very water resistant from the few spots of drizzle its seen so far. Slightly less insulating than a Gabba, so maybe better in slightly warmer conditions.
    Included arm warmers could better be described as arm covers – not insulated at all, but in the same wind/showerproof material. Tops of arm warmers are a bit baggy if you have chicken arms like me, but the rubbery material seems to stop them sliding down, so no complaints.
    Fit is not quite as good as a gabba. The endura is slightly big round the waist – more performance fit than race fit. The off centre zip also feels a bit odd.
    IMO at that price if its in your size its a no brainer. I’ll be picking up the 2016 model in bright green if i see a good deal on it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Short sleeve have a look at the castelli perfetto.. bit more breathable and versatile through autumn until it gets cold.
    Long sleeve the Gabba is awesome for winter

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Evans have the Endura Classics at £70 in all sizes. I just bought one but haven’t tried it yet

thepurist

The lusso corsa repel is another option – wore mine for the first time for my commute in stormageddon the other week and it was as comfy as a normal jersey but just shrugged off an hour of rain that varied from heavy to biblical. The difference between it and my bog standard bibs was remarkable.

Vortexracing

Short sleeve have a look at the castelli perfetto.. bit more breathable and versatile through autumn until it gets cold.
    Long sleeve the Gabba is awesome for winter

my view as well, to the point of now I’m wondering if I need the SS Gabba at all 🙄

mattbee

I’ve got the DHB one with matching arm warmers. Seems pretty good so far, although I’ve not used it in any proper rain yet.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I love my Gabba. It is a brilliant piece of kit – i find the it (the short sleeve version) is great for about 3-17?C. It is very hard wearing too.

The fact so many other clothing companies are producing copycats should tell you how good it it.

benp1

2 questions
    – are these being saved for wear for ‘best’, i.e. Not regular commuting
    – are they only being worn in potentially rainy conditions? If not and it’s just changeable, how does it compare with a windproof jersey or light windproof jacket with jersey pockets

iainc

I have the long and short sleeved ones and recently got a perfetto as well. Nanoflex armwarmers for the SS ones. All very good. Tomorrow morning is forecast to be 8 degrees rising to 11, so long sleeved one with SS base layer. I don’t tend to use the SS ones unless there is a 50% chance I may take the armwarmers off.

benp1 – I don’t commute. Since getting the Castelli ones I wear either them or a regular SS Jersey and other stuff doesn’t get used much at all

fifeandy
    Free Member

@benp1

No reason at all to save the gabba for best. Windstopper and the polartec equivalent seem very durable. I wouldnt however wear them with a backpack as it’ll wear the DWR off.
    The Endura version strikes me as a little more fragile, but no proof behind that theory as yet.

Perfect for use in non-rainy conditions. Given the ‘summer’ we’ve had here in Fife the last couple of years i’m basically replacing all my normal riding tops with weatherproof ones.

The best way to consider them is like a normal jersey that removes the need to carry a gilet or light jacket on short to mid length rides.

greentricky
    Free Member

Not a Gabba but heard great things about the Galibier.cc equivalent and thier gillet, think they are called foul weather, good bit cheaper as well

http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-weather-jacket-3/

Vortexracing

are these being saved for wear for ‘best’, i.e. Not regular commuting

I use mine for commuting, it’s ideal when you have 8-9 hours between rides, i.e. in the morning, then a full day at work and then home.

They give remove the need for carrying multiple layers to and from work, such as gilets etc.

For that reason I think they are great.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Is the stolen goat overly warm or do you need a baselayer under it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I have a Gabba and a Capo, both are great bits of kit. The only problem I find is the sleeve length on the short sleeve is too long leading to odd tan lines at just above the elbow. It’s a nice windstopper in the summer, I was out a couple of weeks ago in a torrential shower and while it didn’t keep me totally dry it did keep me warmish and it should be one of a few layers in winter.

dudeofdoom

Gabba really needs a base layer whereas stolen goat doesn’t.

But bear in mind these things are designed to keep you warm in the wet and they will actually get very wet if your out in evil storms they will get saturated,what I’m trying to say they aren’t like a waterproof that keeps you dry more like a wetsuit.

I commute in SS versions of both and they are both excellent.

If it’s raining epically hard when I leave I’ll tend to put on a waterproof and normal top,but otherwise it’s Gabba or Stolen Goat.

cheers_drive

I’ve got the ls Stolen Goat and its fairly warm, definitely not for summer, wouldn’t use it above 15c, the inside is fleecy which feels nice but seams to wick and breathe well.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers for that, now know what the kids are getting me from Santa!

stevious

Long time Gabba SS user here – use it coupled with sportful NoRain arm warmers (same as nanoflex). I found I need a buff with it as it has quite a low neck (mine is the mk1 – the newer ones might be different).

As above – not a replacement for a waterproof if it’s really rotten, but great for ‘mixed’ conditions.

dpfr

@fudge9202

I have nver worn more than a medium weight baselayer (Nike Pro Combat) under my Stolen Goat jacket and that was plenty to see me through last winter in the Peak District. I do run hot though

maxlite
    Free Member

Just ordered Endura Classics at £70 from Evans, would have preferred Exteondo WS Team Rain but Endura is at such a good price and had loads of positive comments…..we’ll see!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depressingly, just got in from a ride where i felt a bit underdressed at times in my Gabba. Time to dig out the heavier warmer softshells 🙁

iainc

^^^ aye, road ride this morning was a bit colder than I had planned for, as had to drive to downshep’s abode where we started. Around 4-5 degrees initially, SS base layer, LS Gabba, 3/4 Endura 260’s, warm socks, still a bit chilly first half hour 😕

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I believe the Stolen Goat kit is Bioracer Tempest. Fantastic kit and really great for easily half the year.

rascal
    Free Member

Had a real dilemma about what to wear this morning – looked warmer out than it actually was.
    Initially just had s/s summer jersey on with Endura arm warmers, stepped outside then quickly back in to put the Gore Phantom on (and take arm warmers off).
    Got to Cafe Ventoux (Leicestershire) which was about 30 miles away and the bloody thing was heavy with sweat…not sure if it’s quite as breathable as it once was! It’s not that light anyway and def not when damp. Seen the Gabba s/s for £80 new in the green…shall I just get it? Just a bit concerned it’s not that much different to the Phantom (Windstopper). The other thing is that I was so lackluster today I don’t feel like I can justify it/deserve! Please help as this is my second dilemma of the day. Is it THAT much better/comfortable than the Phantom?

Vortexracing

Is it THAT much better/comfortable than the Phantom?

I have both and the answer is a profound YES. I find the Phantom VERY hot and not very breathable, the Gabba on the other hand just seems to keep you ate the right temp over a wide range of conditions and temperatures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Castelli Gabba or similar (for road)?’ is closed to new replies.