• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone had trouble getting a fat bike tyre to seat properly?
  • igm

OnOne rims, Vee Rubber Mission tyre in orange.

90% of the bead is tight to the rim seat, but the last 10% is tucked further into the rim.

Only stuck 30ish psi into it so far (it’s rated at 20). Normally I’d bang it to 60psi, but it’s my first fat tyre and I’m not sure about that. Perhaps some tyre soap?

Ideas? Experiences?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

You tried a bit of soapy water on the bead?

STATO
    Free Member

I had this, had to go upto 50 psi before it went and that was soaped up. This takes and age with a track pump and seems very high in such a big tyre. It went ping quite loud when it seated. Soapy water did nothing, a smear of fairy on the bead did it.

wwaswas

As above soapy water, more pressure and nerves of steel.

big_scot_nanny

Be very careful above 30 psi, I had a similar issue recently and the tire blew off the rim, followed by the inner tube blowing about 1 second after. In a small concrete cellar, it was quite some time before my head stopped vibrating. BOOM! (X2)

I inflate so there’s a bit of air in it, then bang the tire hard at the centre of the tread all the way around (saw this on a Stans video once). With a wee bit soap this worked well.

HTH.

chainslapp
    Free Member
    Northwind

You might have done this already, but often just leaving it overnight does the job. Deflating and reinflating can too- once the tyre gets up to a certain point, the tube’s applying a hell of a lot of pressure- it’s pushing it onto the bead but also holding it in place

JoeG
    Free Member

big_scot_nanny – Member

Be very careful above 30 psi, I had a similar issue recently and the tire blew off the rim

+ several 😯

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had trouble getting a fat bike tyre to seat properly?’ is closed to new replies.