Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone had to serve notice on a tenant, do it yourself or via solicitor?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Letting house out whilst living away elsewhere, (shorthold) tenant paid okay for first 3 months but now is 2 and a bit months behind on rent and lots of promises but no joy. Have been reasonable waiting for them to sort themselves out but can’t wait forever. Been advised to serve notice for repossesion under ‘section 8’ of Housing Act. I see there are on-line forms to do this yourself and belive I can do it accurately but others say use a solicitor, at a cost of course. Anyone else been down this road? Experience appreciated. Cheers

tjagain

No need to use a solicitor but you MUST get it right. IIRC there is a landlord forum that will have the info or plenty of other places on the net. If not confident its 100% right then go to a solicitor that understands housing law – then you have someone to blame when they eff it up

garage-dweller

Lawyer.
    If you have to enforce… a small procedural screw up could put you back to day 1.
    Not enforced on a tenant of my own but do sadly have to remove occupants from domestic property very occasionally in a work capacity. We would always use a lawyer, partly risk management, partly efficiency of process.

footflaps

If you have to enforce… a small procedural screw up could put you back to day 1.

Yep, been there, got the T-shirt.

Assuming you have landlord insurance, let them sort it out as eviction is a legal minefield.

We ended up spending £100s on Solicitors and Barristers etc. Lost about £5k in all inc lost rent. Then £2k to redecorate etc. First thing Barrister said (also Landlord) was get Landlord insurance and first missed payment, start eviction process.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed in this case, missed payments a lawyer is the way to go If it where more simple then it DIY can be fine

totalshell

cant pay we ll take it away seem to have the answer.. bish bash bosh.. most solicitors dont have c lue.. i found out the hard way 5k down the pan.. so serve the tenant up on a plate and get moving as now they know you wont get nasty over not paying they are never going to pay again.. never..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had to serve notice on a tenant, do it yourself or via solicitor?’ is closed to new replies.