Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone had shingles?
  • pinetree
    Free Member

No, not the roofing type. The grown up chickenpox type?

Been really sore the past few days. Back feeling royally screwed- assumed I had somehow trapped a nerve, as the whole left side of my body was aching. Went to the osteo who twisted and cracked me, which sorted some of the problems (had locked a couple of vertebrae in my neck) but was not really feeling much better the next day.
    looked down this afternoon and found a pretty angry looking rash on the LH side of my chest (which had been one of the sorest points)
    Been doing a bit of digging (I know, it’s the worst thing you can do) and everything I’m experiencing seems consistent with the beginning of shingles…

Worst of it is, I’m heading away on Tuesday for 3 weeks with work, doing a load of events in Germany (12 events in the space of 15 days) which I have to be at.
    I know it’s not contagious as long as I don’t go rubbing myself on people, which I hadn’t planned on doing anyway, so I really just want to know how much the next 3 weeks are going to suck…

Anyone had it? Any suggestions how to best deal with the symptoms? Or is it just a case of MTFU til it passes?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Careful.

Some people can get nerve damage/aches/agony for months afterwards.

Get to your GP asap.

Rest and relax in the mean time.

pinetree
    Free Member

Yeah should have said, I’m going to phone the GP early doors tomorrow and see if I can get an evening appointment, and get to a pharmacy first thing Tuesday before I have to head off…

i_like_food

You need to get to your out of hours GP asap. If it is shingles you need Zovirax tablets to slow the virus down soon as, otherwise it may well spread and nerve damage is possible.

I’ve had it, not fun. Good luck!

Ps I am not a doc etc.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s often brought on by stress. I got it about six weeks after my GCSEs. I didn’t get it too badly, a line round from my shoulder blade to my nipple. The pain was pretty intense, like something small trying to force its way up through the skin. I had to drop calomine on it as I couldn’t touch it. The main thing I remember was how shitty I felt, very run down.

The best thing you can do is get to the quack ASAP and get their advice. Don’t push it with work as you could make it worse or catch something else. You want to be rid of it as quick as you can so no lasting damage.

It is a proper reason to be off work. If your employer doesn’t respect that, there is something amiss.

i_like_food

If you absolutely definitely must go to work (ie you’re self employed or the company you work for will go under etc) then ask doc for sleeping tablets too, I couldn’t sleep as it was so uncomfortable after a week I was cracking and sleep pills helped me get back my sanity (I’d make a crap spy, 2 days of sleep deprivation and I’d tell all the secrets).

allan23
    Free Member

Feels like deja vu this, was’t that long ago someone else posted.

Yep quite a few years ago now, felt crap one morning, had a blister appear during the day, got into the docs next day, course of Zovirax and felt human within a few days – told me to stay off work and rest. Ended up with 3 days off.

Get the anti-virals as soon as you can, that sorts the feeling terrible bit.

Blisters can take a while to dry up, mine was on my temple so pretty gruesome looking for a bit. I had tingly nerve endings for a few months, some people can get bad pain. Docs should be able to advise on the best painkiller if it’s bad.

ratherbeintobago

By all means seek medical advice *but* when you make the appointment tell the receptionist that you think you’ve got shingles – the GP may prefer to have a phone consultation rather than have someone with active Varicella wandering round the waiting room.

You say it’s not contagious but I got chicken pox aged 20, when one of my colleagues came in to work and took his shirt off to show everyone his shingles rash. How I laughed.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yeap! Had it. Once they flare up you will be in great pain. You will Not enjoy your German trip. In fact I doubt you will even venture out often once the shingles are in full flare. Damn thing will last for several weeks if you are not lucky.

If there is medicine for them then you should take it asap. If they are on your head the matter become even more urgent.

(this is only for emergency – a common method in the far east which I used – 3 days later all well) If there is no other medicine available you need to burn (I don’t mean furnace blast – heat source as close to the skin as possible without touching the skin) the “head, body and the tail” of the shingles. i.e. the beginning path of the spot, middle and the last one in the path. Then not to drink water or touch water for 2 hours. This is to assume the shingles are the “hive” type with plenty of “pimple” looking spots. Do this once or twice (not the same day) only then you will see them “drying out”. (head type shingles I don’t know as heat source might not be the answer)

When I had mine on the waist at 18 the pain was so bad I was walking slower than a 90 year old person. The skin was hypersensitive that even with a slight touch near to the area would result in extreme pain.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had it earlier this year. On my face. Pretty grim all round really. The nerve twinges have just about stopped.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Its no joke. I had it on my head and side of my face. Doc prescribed drugs and some oily shampoo. If you get the shampoo then be careful as the oils left on towels rot the rubber in washing machines and tumble dryers. Scab heaven 😀

butcher

I actually had it while I was on holiday. Had fever about a week before (not 100% sure if it was related). Once it flared up, the worst of it was only really a couple of days for me. Initially I thought I had sand in my bed as I’d been swimming in the sea! Mega itch on my back when I woke up in the morning, like I had grit rubbing into it…

Next night I felt like I had molten lava seeping out out of it. That was the blisters filling up. Really painful. And because it affects your nerves, you tend to feel pain all round one side.

I was OK after a few days tbh. Still a little sore, and the rash takes a while to clear up, but nothing more than that. Best to be cautious though.

mrmoofo

Yup, about 9 months ago. I got it on my face and around my eye …
    I treated it as trivial, taking three days off work.
    I went into complete viral melt down from the end of October onwards – eye issues, balance issues and sinus issues. Severe enough for my GP to think I had a stroke.
    Anti virals for a month …

It has been a very sobering an reflective time about life .
    I still have balance issues, my hearing has been reduced, my face is painful, esp during times of stress. And I am still on steroids trying to sort out my eyes.

Unless you are young, you only get Shingles because of low immune/ high stress. Benefit from my experience and modify the next few months

thegreatape
    Free Member

Had fever about a week before (not 100% sure if it was related).

Probably. I had 48 hrs of fever before the rash appeared.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah. Unpleasant

antigee

see a doctor urgently if caught early enough med’s work and you can get a much faster recovery – that was my experience – sister in law is a GP she said “you’ve got shingles” it was xmas went to a&e and got given some sort of antiviral drugs

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yup it’s horrible stinging angry lesions . Got given Aciclovir 800mg took about a week to feel normal.
    Got post herpetic neuralgia from damages nerves.
    Horrible shingles

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Had it years ago from stress, you just feel tired and run down, stock up on ibroprofen, paracetamol.

I remember a good friends wedding, I felt like I was touching an electric fence all day, throwing some involuntary shapes on the dance floor
    unless it’s on the face/around the eye, nothing too much to worry about, I just got on with it, my shoulder looks like I’ve been branded

It is not contagious, maybe the comment above wasn’t actually shingles and actually chicken pox hence the transfer, but per comments probably best not to take your shirt off at work..

Avoid the alcohol on your trip, as you tolerance may well be weakened, and keep the fluid intake up, if your lucky it.ll only last a week or two

johndoh
    Free Member

Just the thought of shingles brings back phantom pains in my side where I had it a few years ago. I had a relatively mild case but it was, at times, excruciatingly painful.

skiprat
    Free Member

I had it a few years ago. First started feeling a bit off and then had what i thought was a spot on the top of my head. Scratched it and that was it, some more came up. Went to Boots and the lady there said it looked like shingles and to get to the walk in centre.

They confirmed and said to rest up with pain killers and plenty to drink. Knocked me off my feel. Spent a week off work sleeping, popping some pills and a drink and then sleeping again. Went back to work but was still worn out. I remember going to the first Steel City Downhill the weekend after going back to work. Lasted a couple of hours and then went home to bed and slept the afternoon away. Still have the scabby dents in the top of my head from the spots/blisters

Take it easy and don’t push yourself.

pinetree
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I went to the GP first thing this morning and got given a load of antivirals to take for the next 7 days, as well as some strong, sedative-laden painkillers to help me sleep at night.

I’m still going to go on my trip, but should have help every event with the putting up and taking down of displays etc. so I’m hoping it won’t be too bad.
    Symptoms seem to vary form person to person, so given that I’m 29 and reasonably healthy (albeit a wee bit overweight) I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that the worst of it should only last a few days… That’s the idea, anyway.

Cheers!

Keva
    Free Member

I had it a couple of years ago. Didn’t affect me too much, little rash on my back, felt a bit knackered and little run down for a couple of days. I still went out on me bike and out for a few beers. The anti-virals I was prescribed cleared it up within a week.

poolman
    Free Member

I had it a few years ago and got good advice from here. Just loads of rest for me and swimming in the sea to ease the itching.

It cleared up after a week and no scarring at all.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had shingles?’ is closed to new replies.