Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone had seals perish on Shimano Xt m785 brakes?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Has anyone had the seals go on their Xt brakes? I’m going to have them replaced under warranty but before I do, is this a common problem?

They’re one and a half years old, they wouldn’t bleed no matter what I did, hanging them, banging them, hope method or bottom up. Then saw oil leaking from the master cylinder.

Anyway… Anyone else had a problem? Or had them go spongy and couldn’t bleed them?

Cheers

Ricks

andyrm
    Free Member

I had that happen on the Zee master cylinders on my old bike – from what I heard it was a short run of seals that had a problem. No probs since from experience and what others have said. Just one of those things.

coatesy
    Free Member

Had a set of levers replaced recently, kept drawing air in from somewhere despite no obvious fluid leaks. Had a few Deores back too.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps,

They’re not mine, they’re the missus’ and she really likes the levers and the feel.

Guess I’ll stick with them then.

Why would the seals perish? I’d have thought contamination or something corrosive, but I wouldn’t have had anything like that near them.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Seals went in 2 calipers of mine – under the 2 year warranty luckily. I’m convinced (somewhat un scientifically) it was related to un-usually cold weather both times.

Northwind

Not perish, but yes, seals can fail (in anything) One of my M775s was never quite right, slightly sticky from new then developed a slow leak after a long time- nice easy warranty replacement though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had seals perish on Shimano Xt m785 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.