Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone had gout?
  • benz
    Free Member

What sorted it out?

Did you have to make any dietary changes on top of the medication?

Thanks.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Had it once ,the swear filter on here would break if you put it into words how painful it can be.

Theres lots about it online some snake oil remedies etc.

I went to docs he prescribed NSAID Naproxen and something called colchicine, was gone in three days flat.

if it ever came again they said blood tests and some other drug to stop urine acid in the blood.

alibongo001

Allopurinol is the drug to reduce uric acid, works well but can make an acute attack worse.

Typical advice from a diet perspective is

Cherries
    Lots of water
    reduce red meat / oily fish which can elevate uric acid.

Colchicine is great at reducing acute attacks, and can be taken as and when needed.

bruneep

had it once but a nice summer car sorted it. 😉

benz
    Free Member

Cheeky can’t 😳

tommyhine

get it all the time. currently suffering.

Drinking plenty helps, naproxen helps, cherries seem to help.

The word on the street is the paleo diet is the best approach nowadays.

I’m giving it a go now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Think CFH has it. He posted a picture of himself on a plane wearing special medical shoes, which combined with his champagne quaffing swan eating lifestyle can only be due to gout.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I used to get it when I was on Beta Blockers. They messed with my kidneys enough to help give me gout and kidney stones, amongst other things…

You have my sympathy. It was the most pain I’ve ever experienced but it is a cause of mirth for most. The old jokes about too much port ang good living.
    The triggers for mine were lentils and nuts- good healthy stuff! My Bro in law’s is caused by strawberries.
    Find out what causes it and go from there. keep a food diary, noting every mouthful.

Drink plenty of water . Colcichine sometimes help; double dose when you feel it coming on.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I get it when on holiday despite doing all I can not to – ie staying off the booze & living on water & green tea, it seems to be others get a cold as they unwind I get gout, the Dr’s tell me that’s quite a normal thing 🙁 & I agree, it hurts like a b&st*rd.

I do have a gout diet but its 10 yrs old now, so thinking may have changed Gout diet

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I do have a gout diet but its 10 yrs old now, so thinking may have changed Gout diet

‘kin ‘ell! Stick to that diet and life ain’t worth living!
    It is worth finding out what specific food(s) cause it, and then just avoid them as best you can. I see no point in avoiding wine and steak when it is legumes that caused my gout.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I love legumes 🙁

I don’t follow the diet, it would probably lead to diabetes as all you can eat is cake & bisuits

craigxxl
    Free Member

Had two bouts of gout always in the big toe on my left foot. Both times after a weekend of heavy drinking (IPA’s). Prescribed Naproxen which works in conjunction with drinking lots of water.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Runs in my family apparently, Dad, uncles, granddad all suffered from it, along with a congenital heart defect.

Still, you’ve got to laugh, eh?

NewRetroTom

I have had a few attacks – only a couple that stopped me doing stuff, and then only for a few days.

I think mine is caused by eating too much meat. Both serious attacks occurred during BBQ season.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had gout?’ is closed to new replies.