Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone had experience with this Thule towbar rack?
  • robdob
    Free Member

This one in particular.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_easyfold_folding_2_bike_carrier_no_932/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5QfOP

As it folds it would be perfect for me as I have to store the rack in my cellar down a narrow stairway – a rack which folds into a compact size would solve a lot of problems.

However it’s very expensive, which I don’t mind paying for if it’s worth it but there isn’t much in the way of reviews online.

Thanks.

kcal

The usual Altera alternative – Strada in this case – I have V1 of that model, and it folds down for storage – in boot or garage / shed..

Roofbox do the Alteras as well. Not sure of cost mind. It tilts away as well.

robdob
    Free Member

The reviews on the Atera are very good BUT I had one of their roof systems and I didn’t like it. Creaked like mad and their fastenings weren’t good at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iain65
    Free Member

I bought the non-folding version and it was really expensive as well. My view of Thule is that you get a very good product that will last well….but you do pay for it.

I would not consider anything else based on experience with the tow bar rack, a hang-on-the-rear rack and the on roof ones.

You wont regret the money in my opinion.

slowoldman

That does look very swish but the price!!

I have this one:
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_euroway_g2_2_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_921/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5yR0z

The lights and wheel tracks push inwards when not in use and the upright folds down flat. Mine lives in the boot when not in use so it’s pretty compact.

LMT
    Free Member

Ive got one of the above as well, fits perfectly in the boot, and ive got a new shape c3 which doesn’t have the biggest boot. Great rack and fairly lightweight, although was heavier than i expected, holds bikes in place an even had a slight crash and no issues.

Basically coming down a b road in scotland, biker (motorbike) coming towards me in the middle of the road, he didn’t stop came straight at me, i ditched the passenger side of the car to avoid hitting him, felt the rack flex and bounce through the car, but no damage what so ever. Just got very muddy all up the inner of the car. Its a great rack! I got mine from tesco direct was a litle cheaper and clubcard points.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-euroway-g2-921-_-921000

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah the 921 is a second choice but I am limited in storage space.

I’m not buying anything but Thule – I have a Thule strap on rack at the moment which uses metal straps and basically clamps down on the bootlid with a sprung QR type action – no side straps or stretchy nylon things you have to use and no bungees. It is simply amazing and far and awat the best strap on rack you can buy.

I have a new work lease car coming (Focus Estate) which I have specced with a electrically retractable tow bar so it’s time to get the rack I really want……

No way I’d get a cheap rack when I might have £4-5k’s worth of bikes on it!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had experience with this Thule towbar rack?’ is closed to new replies.