Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone had chronic tendonitis? How did you fix it?
  • bohngy
    Free Member

Hi peeps, I’ve had knee pain that has gone on for nearly 5 years. I’ve tried physio, yoga, gp’s advice, laziness, cross training and orthotic foot beds… but I can’t shift patellaral tendinitis, in both knees. It’s forced me to quit my job as I can’t stay standing for long.

Most importantly, I’m desperate to get back on my bike, but cycling seems to be the absolute worst excessive for me to do.
    I was wondering if anyone else has been through this? I feel like I’ve tried everything, but perhaps someone has some sage advice.

Here’s hoping!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve had tendon problems in my right foot for just over a couple of years. I went through the physio route but there is still pain. I now have insoles as another tendon started playing up.
    Driving can be painful with standard accelerator pedals yet floor hinged give fewer problems. See, I need a Beemer on health grounds.
    I guess you reach an age where things start breaking.

vongassit
    Free Member

I have had it in the past, prob 10 yr ago. Was doing a lot of wakeboarding, cycling & clubbing at the time. A patella strap worked surprisingly well, but a prolonged lazy spell cured it.

It’s not just a pain in the knee, but a pain in the ares! But you know that. Good luck.

fergal
    Free Member

Not cycling related but had a bout of chronic tendonitis climbing loads, the only thing that cured it was stopping the activity for an extended period, allowing it to actually heal finaly.

bohngy
    Free Member

Hmmm, I tried the laziness thing. I made it last for about 2 years… it was hard at first, but I got used to it in the end. Whilst I accept there is an age where things break, I was 30 when I first had trouble…

I should have titled the thread “tell me your 80’s style montage story: from broken to hero”

trail_rat
    Free Member

several physios had a go over 6 months at fixing what they all called achillies tendonitis and it band syndrome- in that my achillies and it band were tighter than a tight thing after about 30 minutes of cycling.
    it took one further physio to identify that all the muscles in my legs and lower back were tighter than a violin string and gave me exercises that focused on getting all the muscles in my legs and lower back loosened off rather than treating the symptoms.

within about a month I was back to my old self and even went on to do rather well at a 24hr race within 6 months of starting the exercises

newrobdob
    Free Member

IF you are anywhere near Huddersfield I can recommend a private physio who myself and several friends have been too and cured us of stuff no one else could, by treating the root cause of problems rather than relieving the symptoms.
    In fact I’d travel a couple of hours to see him if I had to.

DezB
    Free Member

Tendonitis in the knee? Patella tendonitis…. Surgery was the only thing that fixed mine.

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t buy this stuff about muscles being tight – muscles are supposed to be tight, it’s called muscle tone. Tendonitis is caused by roughening of the inside of the tendon sheath, often as a result of the tendon operating under pressure from a tight boot, clothing etc. I got it in my achilles tendon on week two of a 15 week spell as leader for Ramblers’ Holidays in the Alps as a result of walking down one day with my boots too tight and hot swollen feet. I got through the job by keeping the back of the boot softened with lard from the kitchen and wearing thick socks and icing and resting at every opportunity. There was no ibuprofen in those days.

The good news is that it WILL get better, all you’ve got to do is rest it, properly.

stuey
    Free Member

Strassburg Sock – allowed me to avoid a second surgery.
    – try one for three weeks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

don’t

buy this stuff about muscles being tight – muscles are supposed to be tight, it’s called muscle tone. Tendonitis is caused by roughening of the inside of the tendon sheath, often as a result of the tendon operating

Or in my case entirely wrong diagnosis…… All my point was tread carefully.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had chronic tendonitis? How did you fix it?’ is closed to new replies.