Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone had any online help with apple support when they have had control of your
  • postierich
    Free Member

mac !!!
    Got a msg come up on my mac saying I had adware malware infections and I could not get rid of the msg it told me to ring a number, chap came on I presumed it was apple support and i followed his instructions to find the problems he had control of my mac and showed me the so called issues and said he could fix for $400!!!!!
    I declined and said I would take it in to a apple store and closed the mac down and I am now panicking did not give any bank details over the phone only my email address and mobile number incase we lost contact !
    Have I been very naive !!

zilog6128

Yes, that is a scam unfortunately https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/12/mac-users-beware-of-increased-tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

I think the scam is just to get you to pay them – though it depends what kind of access to your machine they had.

What did you do to enable him to remote control your machine? Was it just screen sharing? Did you type your admin password in at any point? (Do you even have an admin password?!)

scaredypants

If you do online banking, ebay/paypal or anything similar, I’d consider changing passwords

It’s also possible that they might hijack your stw account and start posting crap – but how would we tell ? 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

[retro] It’s a type of fraud, did you not spot that? 🙂 [/retro]

postierich
    Free Member

It looked very Apple legit and he did not sound foreign not had the mac long so was freaking that I could not get rid of the ad and it would not let me do anything exept close down the mac which i did several times but it was still there!!!
    I now have the knowledge thanks zilog
    Freaked me out how he had control of the mac after I followed his instructions 😯

I,ve informed my online bank just incase!

zilog6128

Do you remember what you did to let him take control of your mac? Did he have you type your password in at any point?

postierich
    Free Member

I have a admin password but did not use it whilst on the phone!

zilog6128

OK, unlikely they installed anything nasty on your mac then.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Are you over 90 years old ? I can’t believe people fall for this sort of scam…

Sorry I know thats not helpful at all and i mean no malice but really !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had any online help with apple support when they have had control of your’ is closed to new replies.