Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone Had an Garage Conversion or 2nd Story Extension?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Looking at converting a standard single garage to a small snug/lounge type room and adding a 2nd story extention for a bedroom, anybody done this?

Interested in views, experiences, photos and rough costs.

Many thanks in advance.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I know a guy who has made his living the last few years on one, huge new estate, converting integrated garages in new houses into new rooms. £7K is the standard price IIRC.

falkirk-mark

I done it a few years ago first thing is garage needs to be double bricked to add above also founds need to be a certain depth to take second storey.
    Cost wise it was £20000 (10 years ago Scottish prices) which was for bedroom and ensuite and a new boiler for the extra room. Garage conversion was done later as I was originally looking to keep it as a garage. Bedroom was long (6 metres) but not very wide (only have about 18 inches at bottom of bed).

TheBrick
    Free Member

You will need to budget to buildca new bigger garage too. Otherwise no point!

nwill1
    Free Member

Thank you…I’d seen somewhere charged £7k for a garage conversion, must be the going rate, does your mate have a website? (Probably not but worth asking).

There is already a kitchen extension on the back so was considering a bedroom and on suite, was hoping £20-£25k might cover it.

Any photos?

nwill1
    Free Member

TheBrick, planning on a large shed/outbuilding. The living space is more important than the garage space as much as a luxury it is!

epicsteve
    Free Member

We built a master bedroom suite over the garage on our house – cost about £30K. That was for a large bedroom with walk in wardrobe plus ensuite with jacuzzi bath etc.

surfer
    Free Member

I done it a few years ago first thing is garage needs to be double bricked to add above also founds need to be a certain depth to take second storey.

Not quite.
    We did it years ago and adding a second skin to the garage wall would have taken away too much internal space so we reinforced the pillars at the front and 3/4 of the way down and put steelwork all along. Pillars are unobtrusive and kept the majority of the width.

Large bedroom and ensuite above 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

Interesting any before & after photos anyone? (Internal)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Had an Garage Conversion or 2nd Story Extension?’ is closed to new replies.