Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone had a vw t5 remapped from 85 to 120hp? Thoughts….
  • zilog6128

Had to work with someone driving a Euro 4 Transit recently. Walking round the back of the vehicle whilst the engine was running was grim, massively worse than for a more modern engine. As an asthma sufferer, voluntarily increasing this type of pollution is[/I] knobbish IMO. Either put up with lower power or swap it for a more modern vehicle (preferably do that anyway!)

Remapping increases the maximum available power when your foot is down, but driving along at the same speed requires the same power whatever your engine map.

This may well be true, but no-one is re-mapping a weedy 85hp van or whatever it is in order to drive along at the same speed are they?!

The query I had was that VW made both variants already with the same engine, mine was changed from one to the other, it was regularly serviced and run on posh diesel to maintain efficiency, don’t drive like a nutter. The extra torque/grunt was handy for load lugging and mpg improved slightly too. Engine working less hard? Would emmissions be worse?

A quick google shows that for a van with the same engine but more powerful map, N0x stays the same whilst C02 increases slightly. (This is for a Euro 6 T6 though which will theoretically have a less polluting engine. Might be worse for Euro 5 or below).

Edukator
    Free Member

I assume the T6 has the urea injection (Adblu) to reduce NOX emissions. It’s allowed manufacturers to produce more torque and not have sky high NOX in tests. They’re still cheating in that real conditons test results for many brands clearly show they aren’t adding enough AdBlu at high power (because that’s not part of the test routine).

In theory at least recalibrating the AdBlu injection on E6 engines could allow mappers to produce less NOX than standard at the price of more regular AdBlu top ups.

jamesfts
    Free Member

We’re ok to map our petrol cars though aren’t we?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Predictable thread is predictable….

Edukator
    Free Member

Dumb comment that adds nothing to the deabte from the owner of a Caddy concerned by the VW recall who refuses to have the “fix” is predictable… .

molgrips
    Free Member

This may well be true, but no-one is re-mapping a weedy 85hp van or whatever it is in order to drive along at the same speed are they?!

Well yeah. You aren’t currently using 85bhp unless your foot is on the boards, so why would you use 120bhp?

It makes overtaking easier, towing easier, and driving with load easier. I had an 85 as a hire van once, and it was proper gutless. I’m no boy racer, but I’d want 120bhp for those situations. But it only gets used for shorts bursts now and then.

jezzep

Hiya,

On my 2015 Renault trafic I did a remap and it made a huge difference. I generally keep it in eco mode though and only use the full map when loaded and going up hill 😉 It gets a about 140BHP and more importantly an extra 50NM of torques.
    However in eco mode I did note that I get an extra 3MPG so the engine seems to be runing more efficiently.

JeZ

richmtb

We’re ok to map our petrol cars though aren’t we?

Crosses fingers

wwaswas

I read yesterday that Ad-Blu diesel engines actually emit less NOx than petrol engines of similar power.

It’s all jolly complicated.

molgrips
    Free Member

By the sound of it, some do and some don’t.

It seems that simply having ad-blue doesn’t mean the map uses enough of it in any given situation. Didn’t some people say they went from refilling ad-blue in 12k miles to 3k miles? So four times as much used?

joefm

The fumes from my T5 stink. Hopefully we’ll see van’s getting petrol engines or hybrids soon. They could certainly carry a few batteries that would make city driving more efficient.

Not keen on remapping as for one thing my van has done nearly 170k.

It’s slow but I can live with it. Even if it had 130bhp it would still be slow. And it would still be a slow van. I **** hate vans. They have their uses but driving is one thing they will always be shit at so may as well put up with it.

zilog6128

Hopefully we’ll see van’s getting petrol engines or hybrids soon.

Lots of manufacturers working on and fully electric vans at the moment. The 2019 Transit Custom will have electric drive with their 1L eco petrol engine on board as a generator, unless it’s totally shit vs the diesel I’ll be getting one! Next years Nissan e-nv200 update is fully electric and will apparently do 170 miles on a charge which will be great for a lot of uses (not biking trips obvs!)

joefm

With more LEZ’s in the future I don’t think they have a choice but to develop them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nissan have an electric van. Always thought it was a great use case for city deliveries and work. Particularly London as even an hour’s drive across the capital isn’t that far in terms of miles.

jimjam
    Free Member

joefm – Member

The fumes from my T5 stink.

Yeah, remember when car manufacturers made that revolutionary technological leap from tdi to commonrail so we could all enjoy massive gains in efficiency, mpg, power and reliability, and of course they are cleaner, so much cleaner. Only downside is you can’t use bio-diesel in them. Sweet chip shop smelling bio.

joefm – Member
    Hopefully we’ll see van’s getting petrol engines or hybrids soon.

Yeah, like the rest of the world were using, continue to use and will continue to use 😉

I **** hate vans. They have their uses but driving is one thing they will always be shit at so may as well put up with it.

Hang on I thought STW mandated van speak was that they are the ultimate vehicle and in addition to being the most versatile tool imaginable they are simultaneously classless as well as a subtle inference that you are slightly better off than plebs in their cars.

confusedemoji.gif

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/WFn1WEaYY3A[/video]
    Edukator earlier….

wwaswas

With more LEZ’s in the future

“You have to call them women in comfortable shoes.”

zilog6128

Hang on I thought STW mandated van speak was that they are the ultimate vehicle

They are. I checked his posting history, only 21 pages so he’s not really one of us 🙂

rexated
    Free Member

I can’t stand my neighbours.

Pendle, you say?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a vw t5 remapped from 85 to 120hp? Thoughts….’ is closed to new replies.