Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone had a vw t5 remapped from 85 to 120hp? Thoughts….
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’ve got an 04 transporter, and have it booked in for a remap to 120, worthwhile? It’s used as a car really, but I just find it a bit sluggish on hills

Edukator
    Free Member

How to make a filthy diesel filthier. Are you going to get one of those “eco-terrorist” stickers for the hatch?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is this you George? 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBQFnUgv37c[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

For a self confessed reformed eco terrorist your quite the condescending righteous edukator. Reminds me of the old joke “how do you know someone a a vegitatian”…… “Don’t worry they usually tell you before you know their name ”

nobbyq
    Free Member

georgecats_0 – Member
    I’ve got an 04 transporter, and have it booked in for a remap to 120, worthwhile? It’s used as a car really, but I just find it a bit sluggish on hills

now thats a worthwhile response !!! knob .

vongassit
    Free Member

My 85hp T5 is dire , my 150hp T6 is ace. I keep meaning to get the T5 a pendle remap to 137hp, apparently it’s a revalation.

They take 137 no bother & the dub hedz swear by pendle.

robowns
    Free Member

How to make a filthy diesel filthier. Are you going to get one of those “eco-terrorist” stickers for the hatch?

Lol get a **** grip. As if one car (or every single car in the UK) makes any difference when China/India/Brazil etc are burning the **** out of fossil fuels. I’d say crack on mate, go for 140.

trout
    Free Member

Da va ju
    Still enjoying my Pendle remap and being sole destroyer of the world

Get the biscuit tin out

And still getting 4 mpg more than before

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mines an 88 running 160 with a map. 160 is about the limit for the 2.0 CR engines, not sure about the 1.9/2.5.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well we’ve all been aware of wasting non-renewable resources for as longas I’ve been alive (so yes trail rat, I was aware of the waste when wasting). From the mid-80s we’ve been aware of greenhousing the planet (so I stopped) and for at least 20 years we’ve been aware that diesels chuck out toxic NOX and soot even when perfectly set up to keep it to a minimum. And if you eliminate the EGR and over-fuel for more power the NOX and soot go up exponentially.

So if you want to poison your fellow citizens faster than necessarily and disproportionatley more normal, remap. And as it’s local pollution you won’t be poisoning Brazilians, Chinese or Indians, you’ll be poisoning you friends, family and neighbours.

Remapping is selfish and anti-social.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yes but I can get to places quicker.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes but I can get to places quicker.

Selfish and anti-social reasons.

And I doubt it given the trafic conditions in the UK. Even if you can it doesn’t justify poisoning people.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So tell me again how green solar panels are .

Edukator
    Free Member

A hell of a lot greener than burning diesel. Perfectly recyclable (Solar World panels) repay the embedded energy in a fraction of the life of the panels.

Once you’re born you pollute, that’s no reason to pollute gratuitously when you don’t need or have to. Consider the air quality if everybody remapped their diesel, it would rise to Mumbai levels. So don’t do it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You make the assumption that all remaps are equal and all employ the same processes.

Mean while solars ok because all the pollution that goes into them(offsite mining and manufacturing process) is not on your door step.

fossy

The remaps generally get more MPG for the haters !!!

Edukator
    Free Member

So you only argument is that as solar panels result in a tiny amonut of pollution which most poeple would regard as a justifiable alternative to going back to wood and stone age then gratuitously polluting with a remapped diesel in places with high population density is also OK.

It’s not Trail Rat, remapping diesesl is dirty, selfish, anti-social and contributing to prematurely killing your neighbours.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mpg is not the part that’s got his goat up.

Mpg is only part of the equation

But he wrongly assumed all remappers are irresponsible egr &dpf removing dopeaddicts who are gluesniffers ………

Edukator
    Free Member

No some of them leave the depollution gear and then just play with other parameters, mainly over-fueling but also timing changes and air flow which raise combusiton temperatures which raises NOX and kills asthma sufferers.

Did you not follow the VW cheat saga at all Trail Rat? Manuafcturers would love to produce more powerful drivable diesels from the same base unit because consumers want them. But they can’t because doing so sends NOX 10 or 20 times over the NOX limit.

fossy

Only thing to watch is the insurance hike – you’ll need to declare it.

Diesels are easy to remap and if done properly will give you a better driving car, that you might not need to floor it as much ? – remember the manufacturers play silly buggers with mapping to get emissions in check – but we all know real world driving isn’t the lab test, so do it…

Edukator
    Free Member

so do it…

Poison people. selfish and anti-soicial.

jimjam
    Free Member

Getting your current car remapped is probably a greener option than getting a new one. Amiright?

i_like_food

OP.

I did exactly what you’re thinking of (07 1.9 T5). Result was brilliant, much safer to drive (overtake) and better MPG.

Had it done 3 years ago, no problems since (30000 miles later). I’d go for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No i did not because Vw are about as interesting as paint drying.

How ever I do know certain land rover models are the same block injectors and turbo it’s just the tune that differs between the outputs. So it’s perfectly possibly on some vehicles to retune without killin baby otters assuming it’s done responsibly and not by a 1 map fits all mob.

Still the best way not to kill people is not to drive your car regardless of its state of tune or size of the batteries

Fantombiker

Doesn’t the dpf colllect the extra soot the new map produces??

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol get a **** grip. As if one car (or every single car in the UK) makes any difference when China/India/Brazil etc are burning the **** out of fossil fuels.

A big chunk of CO2 emissions comes from transport, and a big chunk of that from cars. Just like yours and mine. So it counts.

Sandwich

Maxtorque is the man to ask. His views echo those of Edukator and he was more forthright in expressing them when questioned about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

A remap probably won’t make your emissions any worse though when you aren’t booting it.

mattbee

Had my 1.9 done by Pendle (via TH Performance). 84 to 136bhp on their rolling road, sinilar jump in torque but I can’t remember the numbers. Will try & find the email with the graphs in. Insurance went up by £30.
    Big difference in drive ability, less dropping into 4th on hills etc. No real fuel economy change.

Edukator
    Free Member

A remap probably won’t make your emissions any worse though when you aren’t booting it.

Anything that reduces (or more commonly eliminates) exhaust gas recycling relative to fueling and air flow will increase NOX emissions even at very moderate throttle openings. I challenge you to find a remap that proprtionally increases exhaust gas recycling, Molgrips.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And I doubt it given the trafic conditions in the UK. Even if you can it doesn’t justify poisoning people.

When I’m “making progress” I’m the fastest thing on the road.

piemonster

Next time I try and influence someone’s opinion at work I’ll try this patronising and sanctimonious approach.

I’ll report back with results……….

piemonster

When I’m “making progress” I’m the fastest thing on the road.

Astravan? 🙂

olly2097
    Free Member

No smoke. No poke.

robowns
    Free Member

Poison people. selfish and anti-soicial.

This is hilarious; your wood-fired generator/alternator to charge your phone/computer to post here must be a marvel.
    Do people really think like this? Bizarre, how do you cope with your daily guilt?

piemonster

Nope, wood fired are out as they cause harm to health through smoke particle inhalation.

Not sure how he’s powering an internet able device. Potato battery from the organic allotment?

Edukator
    Free Member

This is hilarious; your wood-fired generator/alternator to charge your phone/computer to post here must be a marvel.

Our solar panels produce a lot more than we consume.

If you know there’s a problem don’t be a part of it. If you don’t feel guilty about your exhaust emissions perhaps you should. Society has rules and sets standards, sometimes for the good of us all. If you stick to the rules then you are contributing no more than your acceptable share, do better if you think the rules scociety sets are too lax. However, willfully making your car produce more filth is plain anti-social.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything that reduces (or more commonly eliminates) exhaust gas recycling relative to fueling and air flow will increase NOX emissions even at very moderate throttle openings. I challenge you to find a remap that proprtionally increases exhaust gas recycling, Molgrips.

Ok, on a purely technical tangent:

Remaps increase the fuel and air delivered at any given throttle opening. But power is proportional to fuel and air being burned in the cylinder. So to travel at a given speed you only need a certain amount of fuel and air.

Reducing EGR at low load wouldn’t do anything for your performance, as far as I can tell? It might reduce your smoke and increase NOx, but I don’t think it would increase power. But even if it did the driver would lift off to travel the same speed, so you’d end up simply recalibrating the pedal effectively.

Remapping increases the maximum available power when your foot is down, but driving along at the same speed requires the same power whatever your engine map.

I am not an engine mapper though so I could be wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and Edukator is right. You cannot simply avoid all responsibility by pointing at other people and say ‘well they’re worse’. It doesn’t work like that. I have to explain this to kids.

redstripe
    Free Member

Last time this topic came up it had similar reactions both ways unsurprisingly. At the time I had a T5 2.5 van for work which had been changed from 130 to 174 power. The query I had was that VW made both variants already with the same engine, mine was changed from one to the other, it was regularly serviced and run on posh diesel to maintain efficiency, don’t drive like a nutter. The extra torque/grunt was handy for load lugging and mpg improved slightly too. Engine working less hard? Would emmissions be worse? Not sure. So it seemed a much better van to me overall but some views here did make me question whether it was the right thing to have had done and perhaps think of the bigger picture if the emmissions were in fact now worse (still don’t know).

Latterly replaced that T5 with a T6 work van which is in as supplied power (150) with start/stop bluemotion technology (?), will continue with regular pattern of servicing/posh diesel and style of driving. Basically will leave this one as is, seems fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a vw t5 remapped from 85 to 120hp? Thoughts….’ is closed to new replies.