Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone had a sweat test done on their child?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

got a complicated decision to make re this on Tuesday – do the effects of the test take long to recover from? The child in question is 2.5 years old

ta

althepal

God, they still doing that? Without wanting to go into it what’s the reasons for it and how do they do it nowadays?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A concern over repeated chest infections that may be because of cystic fibrosis 🙁

No idea what they do to make them sweat but assume it involves drugs.

Drac

Oh shit I dodged a bullet there as was going to make a joke.

Best of luck MF, hopefully just something like Asthma.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not asthma as she doesn’t respond to inhalers. We really don’t think it IS CF (lots of indicators to say it shouldn’t be) but hospital wants to rule it out (and so do we of course).

bruneep
    donsimon
    Free Member

good luck with it all, the testing doesn’t look too bad…

althepal

Asthmatic, got one done when I was three or four. Used electrodes or something, not sure of details as I was just a bairn..
    Something went wrong, not sure why or how but I still have the small burnmarks on both my forearms 33 years later..
    Anyway 33 odd years ago, guessing things have improved..
    Hope it all goes well. Fingers crossed it’s a good result.

nonk
    Free Member

sheesh… best of luck man, will be crossing limbs and stuff for the nipper.

althepal

I was suspected of CF when I was a kid.. Read the link on the sweat test above. Have always and still do sweat like a pig. At least now I know why they wanted to test me for it.
    Really really hope the test is negative bud. Have lost a few to CF over the years.

Poopsies
    Free Member

Yes – we have had a few done on our son since he was about that age for the same reason. He is 12 now and the diagnosis in the end was bronchiectasis which he developed after a bout of pneumonia when he was about two. It has been worrying at times so I do sympathise. He was fine with the tests though. Give me a shout if you have any questions though I can’t remember too much about he tests themselves. Cheers.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Update – didn’t have the sweat test as another pre-arranged operation had to go ahead (the delays would have been intolerable) so Izzi had ear grommets fitted instead so we had to delay.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There is a condition which is similar to, but much less serious, than CF. Makes you sweat lots, gives you gunk in your chest and lots of chest infections, gives you an appetite for lots of sugar and makes your breath stink of ketones. I forget the name of it though. Will look it up.

Sorry, cant find it. Came across it in a respiratory department in Glasgow once.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers. Hopefully we can get the sweat test re-arranged for next week. I just hate the waiting but guess it can’t be helped.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well sweat test done and we *might* find out on Friday as we have another routine appointment with her consultant then.

So either a big Christmas celebrating or the shittest one ever.

DezB
    Free Member

Best of luck with the results.

woody2000

All the best Mike, fingers crossed

Markie
    Free Member

Hoping for you m_f. Stay strong.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whoo and hoo.

Just had a great early Christmas present as the tests came back clear. They are going to monitor her still in case there is anything else underlying that might make her susceptible to infections but the doctor said she was really happy with her overall demeanour (very active and energetic) which suggests she has just had a run of bad luck and there probably isn’t anything underlying (if there was an immune deficiency she would have expected her to be more lethargic which she never is).

Where is the beer, it’s Christmas!

donsimon
    Free Member

Excellent news, there appears to be a lot of good news floating around this Christmas, have a good ‘un.

spacemonkey

bruneep

Good news.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well, since she’s fit as a fiddle, give her the scrubbing brush and send her back to that wallpaper.

scud
    Free Member

Brilliant news, so glad that you got the results before xmas, nothing worse than having something like that hanging over you.

Now open that beer………

amedias
    Free Member

I don’t know you at all MF, other than from reading your posts, but I am genuinely happy for you.

Anyone that has a scare about their nipper (epsecially at a time like this) deserves the very best that Karma can throw at them 🙂

Happy holidays!

Coyote
    Free Member

Good news indeed!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well, since she’s fit as a fiddle, give her the scrubbing brush and send her back to that wallpaper.

8)

midlifecrashes

Great news, feet up and relax. Happy Christmas.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone had a sweat test done on their child?’ is closed to new replies.