Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • anyone had a steel road frame converted to ss?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just out of interest really was reading this and started the brain ticking over. If so where did you have it done and how did it go?

smiffy

I got some Campag Ends from the frame bits people in kent; silver solder and the right flux. Popped them in on the patio with MAP blowlamp. Tidy job.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah not sure im ready for a homemade bodge just yet!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnny

yes, piece of p1ss. Get an old road frame with forward facing horizontal drop outs. make sure the wheel is an ss specific, as the read hub spacing on older frames is usually narrower. you can run it fixed, ss, or have a flip-flop hub. voila.

wellhung
    Free Member

Had my frame converted by Doug Pinkerton(frame builder not a detective)based in Redditch.07778 429313

AntM
    Free Member

I got Chris Marshall in Keithley to do the conversion for me and paint the frame. He did a tidy job and removed the redundent braze-ons too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whot jonny said.

Track ends are about fashion only. Horizontal dropouts are way more versatile.

stevious

Had an old steel Allez frame rescued from the Bike Station in Edinburgh for me and run it SS. Couldn’t get the right chain tension even with a half link so just went for a chain tensioner and haven’t looked back.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah cheers i have a cross check so know the merits of semi horizontal (horizontal dropouts are the same as track ends) dropouts

but I havent seen many/any conversions to semi whilst i have seen lots to track ends

run bikes with tensioners and never liked it

ant- was it expensive?

mattsccm
    Free Member

In would have thought that most steel frames unless fairly new have horizontals or semis. Track ends face rearwards and are much less common on normal road bikes. Just find an old steel road bike with a wheel. Whip the freewheel off and bung on a single

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah i know but the steel bike im looking at has vertical dropouts

rootes1

yeah i know but the steel bike im looking at has vertical dropouts

just use a tensioner..

of buy a check steel frame with track ends…

cheaper / better in the long run

cynic-al
    Free Member

Many ‘builders have price lists for their work online. I’d have thought £50-£1– + P&P and respray.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘anyone had a steel road frame converted to ss?’ is closed to new replies.