Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone had a Laminectomy/Discectomy?
  • sherry
    Free Member

It looks like I might need the above surgery pretty soon on L5/S1. Any problems with getting back on the trails again. I am guessing around 3 months off the bike post surgery. Been off the bike nearly 6 months as it is! Cheers.

vickypea
    Free Member

I had an L3/L4 fusion 6 weeks ago and was allowed to use my exercise bike from 17 days after the surgery, but I have to stay off the road bike for 3 months….. and off MTB for 6 to 8 months – but that is because I have to wait for the bone graft to heal, so I imagine you’ll be back on your bike a bit sooner with a laminectomy?

sherry
    Free Member

Hopefully your recovery will be swift. I think it will be around the 3 month mark but the neurology consultant will inform me soon enough. Its the crashing the bike part I’m a bit worried about after the surgery. Which is bound to happen.

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks. I know what you mean about fear of crashing! I fall off my road bike as often as my MTB, so I’ll have to be careful on that as well!
    Do you know when you might have the surgery?

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve just got the go ahead from the surgeon for a microdiscectomy. Hopefully get it done it the next few months.

I’m in the same situation, 6 months off the bike and hardly any progress.

Speaking to my physio and others, I expect to be back doing some gentle riding after 6 weeks and full on MTB after 3 months.

sherry
    Free Member

My surgery should at the end of January hopefully. I’m going to try my best to use that time in between resolve it with physio and light training.
    Swimming, rollers and light weights with seated back supports help. The best physio I have found is reverse leg lifts when lying face down on the floor. really hard work though!

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I had my surgery nearly a year ago, L4/L5 microdiscectomy. Getting fit before hand is a great idea. It will aid your recovery. I was back on the bike after a few months. It will be difficult to start with, but just take it easy. I was back at work far too soon. Before my op, I only heard good things about it, then afterwards, only people not getting it done because of the risks. It worked for me, I was on a lot of tablets for 4 years, I got off them as quick as I could. Good luck with it mate. You might have some quite dark days, I did, but it does get better, try not to much back though. I did and came off and gashed my leg, was off the bike for another month, so be patient and it will be fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a Laminectomy/Discectomy?’ is closed to new replies.