Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone had a haematoma drained?
  • cinnamon_girl

How long were you off the bike?

Thanks. 🙂

Drac

It’ll depend where from but really probably not need anytime off just make sure the site is covered.

scaredypants

I guess it depends on the size (& site as drac says) and maybe what the cause was, i.e. if there’s a risk of rebleed

pics ? 😉

sunnrider
    Free Member

I had really big one on my chest. Doc stuck a needle in and about halfway through said “Hmm, I´ll need a bigger needle”

It looked like something from a horror movie but apart from a bit of pressure I felt nothing.

Told to avoid strenuous exercise for a few days and keep an eye on it.
    No pics 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps. It’s from my cycling accident some 17 months ago. Hasn’t changed appearance or size which is similar to a tea plate, a lot of fluid in it and now causing pain when walking. Side of thigh, at the top. No pics!!

Got an appt this week with consultant.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Sounds nasty, CG ~ shouldn’t it have cleared in that period of time? Only haematoma I ever had was in my thigh as the result of an RTA. It was hellishly painful and restricted movement completely for six or seven weeks, but cleared of it’s own accord* after that.

* with the help of a few phisio sessions now i remember it.

Hope they can sort something for you soon.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Reluctant. I had hoped that it would slowly reduce in size, resembles wobbly jelly and is ice cold to the touch. 😯

I do accept that some things are best left alone but physio wasn’t happy about it and said it should be investigated.

boblo
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl
    resembles wobbly jelly and is ice cold to the touch.

Sounds like bits of my wife 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

yes, drained after 8 weeks of no improvement……2 more weeks back on bike

Superficial
    Free Member

If it’s been there for over a year, it’ll be more organised and not just blood. Your jelly description is apt. To get it out, it’ll probably require a small cut rather than a needle aspiration.

Shouldn’t be long off the bike though, I wouldn’t have thought.

cinnamon_girl

Little update … need to have a scan, says the consultant.

motozulu
    Free Member

Hope it goes ok – let us know.

cat69uk
    Free Member

After an over the bars at Innerleithen an few years back. Same as you, top of the thigh, 8 syringes worth extracted, minging. Thigh still feels different to the touch, but all ok.

matther01
    Free Member

Took 3 months for mine to disappear from my calf (leg trapped between crank arm and frame after an off)…but did so naturally.

Yours sounds a bit excessive time wise…hope all goes well!

hanneke
    Free Member

Had one drained surgically under a general anaesthetic 24 December. Was allowed back on the bike to start building up with 15 minutes at a time three weeks later.

I found that, considering the location: my left glute 😳 I was ok on the road bike, but the MTB was a no go… I have just started back on the MTB off road without any issues now. Be prepared that they may have to leave the wound open, sometimes even with a drain in,to keep it draining freely until healed slowly from within.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had one on my thigh about 12 years ago after stacking it on my BMX.
    It was drained at the hospital, it had compartmentalised, and had to be nicked with a scalpel in a few different places.
    it felt instantly better and I was back on the bike within a week or so…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ewww – ever wished you hadn’t clicked on a thread 😯

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. Not liking the sound of the wound being left open. 😐

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. Not liking the sound of the wound being left open. 😐

It could get drained when it’s scanned, depending on the cause. Looks horrible and no way can I wear lycra with this thing bulging out the side. 😯

cinnamon_girl

OK, an update … appointment later this month for scan and possible draining under local anaesthetic.

Will I be able to drive afterwards having had a local?

Ta. 🙂

RustyMac

good news 🙂 get well soon c_g

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a haematoma drained?’ is closed to new replies.