Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone had a custom frame from 18 bikes?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Are they decent? From what I’ve seen when they pop up on here they seem like a good outfit, just wondering what their frames are like?

simonbowns
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near the shop, there’s one in the workshop waiting to go for paint at the mo-an ideal chance to have a look yourself!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m afraid I’m not. But if you wanted to post one up here for me to look at… 🙂

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ll try to sort some photos when I’m in on Monday. Can get some of out painted Monsal/Blacka models too. Email me at info@18bikes.co.uk and I can forward over

Cheers,
    Si

thegreatape
    Free Member

Will do, thanks.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Being anywhere in this hemisphere is no excuse. We had a chap fly in from Australia yesterday to be sized up for one.

momo

matthew_h – Member
    Being anywhere in this hemisphere is no excuse. We had a chap fly in from Australia yesterday to be sized up for one.

Bruce says G’day!

Gotama
    Free Member

With custom isn’t it more about getting a builder who you feel completely understands what you’re looking for in a frame, whether that’s through having built similar stuff, doing a similar type of riding or being very good at translating a customers ramblings into something that makes bike sense. I’d have thought you can only get that from speaking to them. With regard to quality of build (and I don’t mean to demean the skill required) the known builders will be much of a muchness, whether it’s 18, swarf, BTR, Shand etc… so looking at a frame is probably pointless. That said I do spend a lot of time on Instagram gawping at various custom builders pics.

Atomizer

I had a frame built by Matt at 18 bikes last year. I’m very very pleased with it.
    Matt was very helpful and communicative, helping out with design ideas. I wanted a short rear end, 157mm thru axle rear and 83mm BB, all accommodated. We didn’t speak in person – all done by email but this was no problem.

The finished product is great, a nice combination of brazed and welded joints.
    I’d work with him again.

Pics below.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BGCTjT]DSC_0010[/url] by Jones96er, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BEnS3N]18bikes custom hardtail -first ride today – very sloppy conditions but great to be out on this at last![/url] by Jones96er, on Flickr

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nice bike mister!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a custom frame from 18 bikes?’ is closed to new replies.